2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Whats up with the paint chips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Can't complain if you don't have a clear bra. It's inevitable without it.
Full front clear bra FTW!

Tip: Buy it in bulk and apply yourself. Cost a fraction of the price that's what I did.
Even have it on my fogs. Also did my TSX hood for under $30.

Cleardefender.com

Last edited by Committobefit08; 02-18-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm taking my Fit in monday for the 3M invisible bra.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:15 PM
thanks for the responses. I'm gonna check into getting the clearbra or a similar type of protection ASAP.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
Yeah, because a chip-free auto finish is soooo much more important than respiratory health and attempting to reduce cancer rates. We need to bring back DDT and Agent Orange, they were cheap and effective.
you make it sound like they are putting asbestos in the door panels.

I do find that my chips are had to even see with ORM paint, but the chips are there

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 02-18-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Stone chips are easiest to hide when you have a silver Fit...mostly because the primer is gray, at least where I come from

No hiding the deeper ones though. Cat was spot-on, most of them will appear on your hood so a clearbra is a very good idea.

I'd suggest you apply it to the whole front end, even - I had a stone chip once that made it all the way up the A-pillar and sprouted a spot of rust!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Any advice on touching up stone chips? I've got a tiny one on my hood, down to the primer. Got the OEM touchup paint from the dealership (08703-B549MAH-PN, labeled New Sherbet Snow Metallic, car is Tidewater Blue Metallic but from what information I've been able to dig up this isn't supposed to be a problem). The dealership's telling me it doesn't need a clearcoat and they don't sell any, but the instructions on the paint pen call for clearcoat. So, does anyone know whether the OEM touchup pens have any lacquer mixed in them at all, and if not, what type of clearcoat would be most compatible? I've searched but haven't found any information on the composition of current Honda paints (just that it's a base/clearcoat system).

This is probably overkill on such a tiny chip, but I want it to look as good as possible, and I suspect clearcoating will probably make it easier to match the color.

Last edited by wayrad; 03-04-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Clear coats aren't required but wouldn't hurt.

I've used clear coat touch up on some deeper chips in the past. It mostly was used to match the original thickness of paint/clear when touching up.

Paint Pen Clearcoat

Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Thumbs down 3M Invisible Paint Protection Film

Originally Posted by Hizzie
I'm taking my Fit in monday for the 3M invisible bra.

I am VERY unhappy with mine. After just 1 week and less than 300 mile. Most of which were city, not highway. I already have 2 tears on the film. The installer still has to re-do the edges in several spots where the film pealed up and there is a bubble in the piece installed at the lift gate. I am not unreasonable. I know that the film isn't magical and cannot stop everything but GD it should hold up at least a week!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Clear coats aren't required but wouldn't hurt.

I've used clear coat touch up on some deeper chips in the past. It mostly was used to match the original thickness of paint/clear when touching up.

Paint Pen Clearcoat
Thanks! I was looking at that paint pen right before I posted, but they didn't say what was in it or what brand paints it would work with. Good news that it worked for you. I was thinking that once I got the color right I could build it up with clear coat, instead of having a thick layer of base coat and possibly ending up with too much metal flake. The chip is only 2-3 mm in diameter but it's right in the middle of the hood.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Hizzie
I am VERY unhappy with mine. After just 1 week and less than 300 mile. Most of which were city, not highway. I already have 2 tears on the film. The installer still has to re-do the edges in several spots where the film pealed up and there is a bubble in the piece installed at the lift gate. I am not unreasonable. I know that the film isn't magical and cannot stop everything but GD it should hold up at least a week!
Sounds like the installer screwed something up. Nothing to do with the 3M bra itself. I installed my own and its been on for over a year (At least 9000 miles) and it's still in perfect shape on my TSX and on my Fit. No peeling/bubbling/discoloring.....nothing.
Hope it works out for you. I'd recommend going to a different installer if I were you.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 PM
had my first paint chip on my rear bumper 4 weeks after buying.. oh wellz.. shit happens

Old 03-05-2010, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
ehhh mine has been average so far. what kinda bothers me is that some of the paint that is coming off in the corners of the hood where it seems like it would be the least likely to chip.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
My paint chips have a bit of rust around it, I've got the OEM touch up paint. Does anyone know if I should do something about the rust before applying the touch up paint? Thanks

Old 03-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I had no paint chips on my hood ('09 Orange Rev. Metallic), but hit a deer and crumpled the hood. Hood is now replaced and painted by the local body shop (they did a great job, BTW-looks better than the factory). I'll be interested to see how the "aftermarket" paint holds up compared to the OEM stuff).
Hehe ... same with me. But Ive admired paint chips free hood for less then a week but then got the biggest paint chip ever

Last edited by eljuero; 03-20-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by forress
My paint chips have a bit of rust around it, I've got the OEM touch up paint. Does anyone know if I should do something about the rust before applying the touch up paint? Thanks
Dude, if you get a nasty cut you clean it out before you apply a dressing. Why wouldn't you do the same for your car? Think of rust as an infection. If you don't clean it out before you cover it with paint (bandaid) it will still be there eating away at the hood.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
We had our first bad winter this year since I bought the car and the chips on the hood have multipled. I am going to most likely be ordering my CF hood next week. I have several CF pieces on the car so I thought why not. With CF you can not see chips and it will look better than a hood with missing paint all over it. I am going to take the car in today and have the paint guys look it over because the paint is peeling in the seam again and it was fixed back in 2008. My warranty runs out in May so might as well get it fixed for free and if it last another year or so that will be good. Going this weekend to look for some black rims with a machined lip. Can't rock the white ones with CF hood too many colors going on.

Cat :x

Old 03-27-2010, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
I just got my first chip. I am going to touch it up and wonder if anyone is using Testors vs the Honda touch up paint?

EDIT: Turns out my errands took me by the Honda dealership today so I decided to spring for the real deal.

Last edited by know-nothin; 03-27-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-27-2010, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
I just got my first chip. I am going to touch it up and wonder if anyone is using Testors vs the Honda touch up paint?

EDIT: Turns out my errands took me by the Honda dealership today so I decided to spring for the real deal.
make sure to apply the paint with a cardboard matchstick and work in incredibly thin layers. Don't use the brush as it will be impossible to do thin enough coats. Feather sand at the end with some 2000-3000 grit and it should look OK. Any mistakes and it may end up looking worse. Good luck and steady hands!

Old 03-27-2010, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
make sure to apply the paint with a cardboard matchstick and work in incredibly thin layers. Don't use the brush as it will be impossible to do thin enough coats. Feather sand at the end with some 2000-3000 grit and it should look OK. Any mistakes and it may end up looking worse. Good luck and steady hands!
Thanks! I just did the first coat with a toothpick and took my time. Looks pretty good but I think it will need another coat after it dries. Since the it's first one, I don't mind spending some time on it but this will get tiresome if it happens often.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Just my $.02...Going on 18mo. and 53k+ miles on my '09 Fit and I have a buttload of "rusted rock chips". I use quotes because I am not sure if it is rail-dust contamination or not but my suspicion is they are chips because it look as though the paint at the edges of the "chip" is deformed from the strike. Regardless, my point is I have a '89 Civic SI (ZC btw ) with 375k+ miles on the chassis and the hood looks like shit but not a bit of rust.

Quick Reply: Whats up with the paint chips?