2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 Fit Headrest Haters!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
seems like this is a problem with a few of the newer hondas. (for me anyways) I had a 06 Si, 06 civic LX, and i had the same problem in both.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
Yes, especially in the back. That's one of the few things I hate about my wife's car.
In my case, since I replaced the front seats with Recaro items, I find that I now need to remove the rear headrests when I fold down the rear seats. There's no longer enough space under the front seat for the rear headrest to tuck into. GE rear headrests would solve this problem pronto

Just a shame I can't fit 'em onto my GD. Oh well

Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by wilcoholic
Is your head suppose to rest against the headrest when driving? Is that the correct driving position?

Because my head doesn't touch the headrest at all when I am driving

Correct, it is not there to sleep on.

The head "rest" is there so you do not break your neck or get hurt in the event of a collision. I have actually gotten used to driving upright to the point that I feel wrong if i lean back in a car. Posture thing I guess.

P.S. To be more useful..... You may want to look into some aftermarket seats. Sparco, Recaro, Momo, are all good brands, not sure if they all have support for the GE8. Then as an added benefit you get MUCH better lateral support and DEEP buckets. So you can take turns without ever using your brakes. =D

Last edited by Konservative; 02-09-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Well, I happen to like the headrests the way they are in my 09. Infinately better than they were in my Mustang. I can lean back slightly and have a nice soft cushion for my head on a boring trip. The Mustang was so far back, I needed a Chiropractor after a trip. Honda does it right. (most of the time)

Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
For everyone ragging on posture, I just want to point out that the headrest can still be a pain even when you're sitting up straight. I like to sit up straight and have the seat in a straight position, because I'm short and if I lean back it'll interfere with me seeing out of the car as well. When you have the seatback straight like that, the headrest is leaned so far forward that it pokes you in the back of the head unless you like hunch forward. At least it does for me. Maybe I just have a big head. LOL.

I do have my seatback reclined back just a LITTLE so that the effect is lessened but really I don't like it that way. It kind of shifts the strain from my neck to my back, really, because I'm sitting up straight and the seat is back and there's a space between. I'm looking into getting an 07 accord headrest though, after seeing a recommendation for that elsewhere in the forum. So maybe that will help you out, OP!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
I'm gonna create a Headrest Hater Hater thread and name it "it's not a headrest, dork!"
the opening post will probably question the backs of some peoples' heads that are shaped like a 51 Studebaker.
Oh man, STOP... LMAO!

Old 02-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm 6'2'', 225 lbs. and I find the seats (including headrest) way more comfortable than my wife's '07 Civic. Wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Be sure the headrests are high - recommended - as it is believed that the neck elongates when you are sitting in a vehicle that is struck from behind - you can still hate them, but like a bad neighbour, they have moved!

Old 02-11-2010, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lnarngr
The headrest is too far forward for many drivers to be comfortable. Please call Honda at 800-000-1009, option 7 and report this. Maybe something will be done.
The best solution I have seen in the blogs is too try an Accord headrest.
Good luck!
I put my feat firmly against the floor, grabbed the steering wheel with two hands, and pushed my head hard backwards into the headrest- and i "popped" back about 2-3 inches into a very normal feeling car headrest position.. I don't know if broke something, or what (active head restraint system?)- but my headrest is now oriented completely normally compared to any car I've ever been in!!!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cruiserandmax
I put my feat firmly against the floor, grabbed the steering wheel with two hands, and pushed my head hard backwards into the headrest- and i "popped" back about 2-3 inches into a very normal feeling car headrest position.. I don't know if broke something, or what (active head restraint system?)- but my headrest is now oriented completely normally compared to any car I've ever been in!!!!!!!!
Interesting. Is it possible that the people who are having an issue have head restraints that are somehow popped forward? Maybe in "activated" mode?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Question for those of you who do NOT like the FIT headrest:

What is your height?

The reason I ask is because I'm female and 5'0" tall and I'm wondering if I will have an issue with the headrests. I have (obviously) not test driven a FIT yet, but I'm curious about this.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
A gold ring to cruiserandmax! Owner's manual, page 96:

The driver's and front passenger seats have active head restraints. If the vehicle is struck severely from the rear, the occupant properly secured with the seat belt will be pushed into the seat back and the head restraint will automatically move forward.... [italics, mine]

After a collision, the activated restraint should return to its normal position. If the head restraints do not return to their normal position... have the vehicle inspected by a Honda dealer.
Your approach is worth checking by the headrest haters. If this is the case, then Honda may have an issue -- assuming that most of the people complaining about the headrests haven't been rear ended. I just sat in the driver's seat, reached behind the head restraint with both hands and pulled -- sure enough, the head restraint pivoted forward about 2", a position that would be very uncomfortable for driving. It did, however (as it was supposed to), spring back to its normal position when I stopped pulling.

Last edited by Selden; 02-12-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Golly, a truly helpful suggestion. Thanks, Cruiserandmax!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
Different people have different body shapes and postures. For my body, the GE Fit has the best head restraint design of any car I have ever owned. In normal driving position, there is about a half inch between the back of my head and the head rest. But sometimes, I feel like pushing back a little, and actually resting my head on it. Because of the way it "fits" my body, I have very little concern about whiplash injury from a rear end collision.

Although some have complained, for most people, the design seems to be just fine. If you didn't like the head restraint position, why did you buy a Fit? It's not possible to fit all bodies, but it is within an individual driver's capability to adjust things to fit, as some have suggested here. Please don't call Honda about a change that is unnecessary and undesirable for most of us.
I fully agree. The head restraint has not been an issue for my wife or I. Maybe people need to lean the seat back a bit?

By the way, can people put in an aftermarket head restraint?

Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
So much for that theory. They exhibit no ability to articulate. The mount in the seat will spring forward and return, but there is only the heavily angled forward pad mounted in a fixed position.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Golly, a truly helpful suggestion. Thanks, Cruiserandmax!

Get a haircut! (and no perms).

Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MaybeAFit4Me
Question for those of you who do NOT like the FIT headrest:

What is your height?

The reason I ask is because I'm female and 5'0" tall and I'm wondering if I will have an issue with the headrests. I have (obviously) not test driven a FIT yet, but I'm curious about this.
I'm the same as you and it's bothering me a little. It's not a dealbreaker kind of bothering though. I don't have it as bad as some people who describe crazy neck pain from it. It's just slightly annoying.

So far what I've done is just put the seat back one tick and I have the headrest a little higher up than I probably should. That makes it okay but not great. But still okay. I still don't regret getting my Fit. This is something that could be fixed by either a different headrest or a pillow or something. Especially because I noticed on these cold days that when I bunch up my hood and stick it behind my neck like a pillow, it eases the strain a little.

But on another note, being a 5' tall girl, I did like the Fit because it has great visibility out of the driver's seat without me needing a cushion or anything, and also has great reach to the pedals without the steering wheel being all up in my face.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you VaMPKiSS1.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and give me your perspective. :-)

Old 02-12-2010, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
So much for that theory. They exhibit no ability to articulate. The mount in the seat will spring forward and return, but there is only the heavily angled forward pad mounted in a fixed position.
Nobody said the head restraints articulate. They are designed to pivot forward in a rear-end collision, then they are supposed to return to their normal position, although the owner's manual suggests they could get stuck in the forward position. If I understand your description, you confirmed that your head restraint could be pulled forward, and then returned to its normal position, so that's not the problem in your Fit.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Make sure that your hidden 'active mechanics' buried within the seat back are not in the post-accident position (pp. 90 owners manual Cdn. edition). I am not sure as to what force is necessary to engage this engineering marvel but I can imagine the headrests (restraints?) are not comfortable in the 'other-than-normal' configuration. I find the seats/rests amazing as my first experience was picking up the car and a 1200km. drive with one stop for fuel/food to get home. Very very comfortable for athletic man, 5'10" 185 lbs.

Quick Reply: 2009 Fit Headrest Haters!