2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rota Rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by j1napa0
what about more of a better example wherein people who buy original rims and hating on Rota's? and not people who buy Rota's hating on those who buy original ones? anyway, your analogy of copies = garbage is pretty much lame. another Rota/copy-hater i pressume? let the haters hate as someone has said.

not everybody could buy original rims or not all are willing to spend on one. so, just respect it. Rota's are built with good quality with a reasonable price if i must say. if you want to buy a Rota, then go ahead. its your wheels, its your car.
I'll just accept the fact that my opinion differs drastically from most on this site and many others probably. I have never to the best of my knowledge called somebody a "fucking idiot" for buying Rotas, I just simply dislike that a company copies another almost exactly instead of making their own design, be it wheels or whatever. If Rota would simply design their own product you wouldn't hear shit from me about them. I don't discredit their strength or quality, just their practice of copying. So I'm a hater of cheats and copycats...sorry for having some morals.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
I'll just accept the fact that my opinion differs drastically from most on this site and many others probably. I have never to the best of my knowledge called somebody a "fucking idiot" for buying Rotas, I just simply dislike that a company copies another almost exactly instead of making their own design, be it wheels or whatever. If Rota would simply design their own product you wouldn't hear shit from me about them. I don't discredit their strength or quality, just their practice of copying. So I'm a hater of cheats and copycats...sorry for having some morals.
it's so easy for you to say, i hate rotas, since you live in japan. did you buy your set brand new? you see...i used to live there and you are an idiot if you buy rotas from japan since the wheels there are everywhere.

s!#t, all you have to do is go to the pawn shop and you will be ale to buy a set for $200.00 or go to junk yards and get a set for cheap. i don't buy brand new sets over there, even my japanese friends. actually, they were the ones who told me where to buy wheels and tires for cheap.

rotas are like any other wheel company, all you have to do is look in any auto magazines and you will see that it's not only rota that's copying the desing of volks, works etc. one good example is BBS...their design has been copied by the rest of the world from the very start and still going after all this years. I guess you hate them too huh?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I just simply dislike that a company copies another almost exactly instead of making their own design, be it wheels or whatever. [...] So I'm a hater of cheats and copycats...sorry for having some morals.
555, you keep swinging and missing. They're wheels not fine literature. If you want to go exercise your morals go fight for the education of young women in Africa or the Middle East, or donate money to Haiti, or work at a soup kitchen. I'm not sure that our simple consumer culture really merits getting in such a freaked out moral panic.

Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
hey bud, i was hear before i ever owned my galant, the Fit has been my favorite reasonably priced car since it came out.....well the GE is eww sauce, unless modified just right but ehh......and fyi my rays cost less than rotas and have better resale thank youuu
When I was seventeen I thought I knew how the world worked too. Being a honda fan (and by that I mean giving the GD boys a reacharound in the first few months you were here) doesnt change the fact that you love to get in opinion threads and be a total prick. I'm just saying for someone who has spent several thousand posts telling people how to spend their money--you bought a Galant.

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Some people actually have more important things to spend their hard earned cash on wheels with a different name on them to impress some nobody on the internet.
[...]
People modify their car for themselves, and Rota's work fine for them. People that spend $3000+ on hunks of aluminum and disposable rubber JUST to impress random people on an internet forum is a fucking idiot.
[...]
So stop poking your face in every Rota thread possible just to say that others people wheels are not up to your standards. You are clearly showing your age with this repetitiveness
QFMFT; QBmurderer, well said many times

Old 02-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Honestly, I never see anything wrong with them. I've own lots of their wheels. And I never have had any problems. I also dont see myself spending over 2grand on some wheels that will be abused from my DD...

Old 02-08-2010, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Why ROTA Wheels?

Read the thread please! It explains what happened to the messed up rims!

"Most of these bent/cracked/separated wheels happen while at track events. Excessive heat from the brakes drastically heat up the wheel, and affect its strength. Imagine going round and round a track for 20 minutes at a time doing 100-40 brake stands over and over again. That's a lot of heat build up. Now do that 6 times a day for an entire weekend and you have a lot of heat cycles going through those wheels.

Now, we all know Rotas are inexpensive wheels, and that corners must be cut in order to make them so cheaply. Basically you get a wheel that can see everyday use, but can not withstand the harsh track conditions that many people put them through.

So in short, if you don't plan on doing track events where you are doing repeated heavy braking over and over again, the Rotas should be just fine. If you are planing on doing track events and need a wheel that can withstand the snot being beat out of them, I would highly recommend a forged wheel."

"that bent wheel bent because the caliper was not properly torqued, came off and damaged the wheel. go through that link again. there is a picture explaining it."

There are more quotations like this on this specific thread, stating why wheels break. So please don't knock on Rota's unless you know what really happened to them.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:56 PM
personally, i see rotas as a great alternative to those of us that cant break the bank for a set of rims...if they are ur style and do what you need them to do....whats wrong with saving some money?

Old 02-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by eglass
personally, i see rotas as a great alternative to those of us that cant break the bank for a set of rims...if they are ur style and do what you need them to do....whats wrong with saving some money?
there's nothing wrong with saving money, but by buying rotas you are supporting people who steal other people's hard work.......do I give two fucks about you people having Rotas? no. will I give mad e-love? no because I dispise knock-offs.....

I pose this question to all of you:

Would you buy knock-off Bride Seats?

Old 02-08-2010, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by little bastard
it's so easy for you to say, i hate rotas, since you live in japan. did you buy your set brand new? you see...i used to live there and you are an idiot if you buy rotas from japan since the wheels there are everywhere.

s!#t, all you have to do is go to the pawn shop and you will be ale to buy a set for $200.00 or go to junk yards and get a set for cheap. i don't buy brand new sets over there, even my japanese friends. actually, they were the ones who told me where to buy wheels and tires for cheap.

rotas are like any other wheel company, all you have to do is look in any auto magazines and you will see that it's not only rota that's copying the desing of volks, works etc. one good example is BBS...their design has been copied by the rest of the world from the very start and still going after all this years. I guess you hate them too huh?
Where I live has nothing to do with it. That is an ignorant statement to me, because no matter where I lived it wouldn't change how I think and feel about copied products. And yes I did buy them brand new, I have never purchased 2nd hand wheels, I like to be the first molester of what is going on my cars. There are lots of us that buy brand new, think about it, if there wasn't there wouldn't be shops like UpGarage operating for you and your friends to buy wheels and tires cheap. So one is an idiot in Japan to buy Rotas, but not if they live somewhere else? WTF is that logic? So deep down what are you really saying about Rotas? It seems to me that you are the one discounting the wheel, not I, I just discount the practice of the company.

With your last paragraph, who are you asking do I hate? The rest of the world, BBS or all the companies that have copied BBS? Have you heard of reading comprehension, what have I stated many times already?

kindofblue, well in my opinion you have swung and missed as you don't get my point of view. Copying is copying no matter what it is, yet when it comes to car parts many people don't care because they want the look of the real thing without spending to have it, that's baffling to me. I knew someone would come out and say something of the nature of what you said and how do you know what I have and haven't done to help others? Please don't even go there because guess what you will swing and miss again. Are you possibly wanting to stick me in that category because I have purchased $3000 wheels and tires as wanting to get a raise out of others, because if so, that would be strike three so GTFO already. Quote that for the mother phucking truth.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 02-08-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member

Would you buy knock-off Bride Seats?
No, but I wouldn't buy bride seats in the first place . I'd buy volks though... if I had the money I'd have a set of CE30's right now.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kindofblue
555, you keep swinging and missing. They're wheels not fine literature. If you want to go exercise your morals go fight for the education of young women in Africa or the Middle East, or donate money to Haiti, or work at a soup kitchen. I'm not sure that our simple consumer culture really merits getting in such a freaked out moral panic.
they are still somebody's design and R&D time..........

Originally Posted by kindofblue
I was seventeen I thought I knew how the world worked too. Being a honda fan (and by that I mean giving the GD boys a reacharound in the first few months you were here) doesnt change the fact that you love to get in opinion threads and be a total prick. I'm just saying for someone who has spent several thousand posts telling people how to spend their money--you bought a Galant.
Umm sorry my parents don't give me money to buy a 15k car? I have to work to pay for my cars and school so I do the best with the little I have......Oh and btw believe me I've hated on a fair number of GD's......maybe some people actually appreciate honesty, rather than everyone loving and hugging each other even if they think that the car actually looks like shit

Old 02-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned
Old 02-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Why should I care what you think of my car if I had Rotas?You are a nobody to me. You really think that Spoon is the first brand to EVER come out with their SW388 design? What R&D goes into creating a wheel? Just a design. I guarantee you if you look, you will find wheels that work and volk have copied. I mean the Work XD9's are a copy of the old 40" wagon wheels. Wheels were around way before companies like that came to be.

Whats the point of that thread about random user names in chicago? I am supposed to spend my hard earned money on wheels to impress random people online? Let people be man. Get your head out of your ass and realize that your opinions are not as important to people as what you may think.

Last edited by qbmurderer13; 02-08-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:32 PM
kindofblue, well in my opinion you have swung and missed as you don't get my point of view. Copying is copying no matter what it is, yet when it comes to car parts many people don't care because they want the look of the real thing without spending to have it, that's baffling to me. I knew someone would come out and say something of the nature of what you said and how do you know what I have and haven't done to help others? Please don't even go there because guess what you will swing and miss again. Are you possibly wanting to stick me in that category because I have purchased $3000 wheels and tires as wanting to get a raise out of others, because if so, that would be strike three so GTFO already. Quote that for the mother phucking truth.
Happily! I have to quote you anyways because sometimes you can be a little hard to follow. For example, I admit I don't know what you mean about the $3000 wheels category.

I didn't mean to imply that you've never go help others. I'm sure you have.

I mean to imply--as I have for two or three posts now--that your black and white reasoning coupled to your outrage shows an admirable moral compass but that it's misguided (or maybe heavy-handed is a better term) on a thread about whether a bunch of broke young adults should buy 3 grand's worth of racing wheels or 600 dollar copies. For their economy cars. So take that passion and devote it to a cause that is more worthy!

I'm sure you've never illegally downloaded a song or copied a CD for a friend, and I admire that. You're a stronger man/woman than I.

But back to wheels: I admit that the Rotas are blatant copies of the design but not necessarily the wheel; after all, RAYS wheels have a big sticker on them that says "RAYS." It's not like Rotas say "ROYS" on them. And I'm sure that at four figures a pop they've recouped their R&D many times over.

It's funny; I can't think of a single Rota owner who was a big prick about owning them. They all seem to understand a) they're poor and b) they're buying fake wheels. But brother, can I think of a million teenagers who lose their minds about fake wheels.

I have to work to pay for my cars and school so I do the best with the little I have
Yeah, but dude, with what little money you had...you bought a Galant.

maybe some people actually appreciate honesty, rather than everyone loving and hugging each other even if they think that the car actually looks like shit
Well, there's honesty, and then there's:

Old 02-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by vinn
Before:

After:

Then again, all wheels fail and have their flaws.

But we all have our own choices and opinions. Do your homework and get what you feel like getting.

Thanks for the advice! I've heard some scary stories with this brand.. but hmmm still caught in the dilemma on what to do... hard to say hard to say...but much appreciated your input!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks every one for their inputs, Im still caught in my little dilemma. I'm leaning towards the Works. Expenive, but seems to be worth the money.... I will post up pics if I go withthem. Much appreciate it! Thanks!!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by airjordan023
Thanks for the advice! I've heard some scary stories with this brand.. but hmmm still caught in the dilemma on what to do... hard to say hard to say...but much appreciated your input!
Yeah no problem, I'm not really going to care if you get Rotas or whatever as long as you don't put stickers saying its this brand or that brand etc.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
You have no idea under what conditions those rotas broke in. How do you know they were not in an accident? Do you plan on tracking your Fit?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by airjordan023
you could try these
volk
Name:  DSC_0424.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  86.5 KB
HRE
Name:  HREa.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  88.2 KB
Porsche
Name:  porsche_wrecked_broken_rims.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  39.9 KB
Name:  post-9387-1231401045_thumb.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  70.4 KB
RAYS
Name:  rota.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  42.2 KB

Last edited by AtticusFit; 02-08-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Why does every thread containing the word Rota become a Rota hating thread.
Sad thing is, I'm now sticking my neck in and getting involved.
At the end of the day, Rota make decent enough for wheels for Street Driving. If they werent strong enough, they wouldnt be deemed safe enough to sell.
I was brought up and taught that copying is the best form of flattery. True Statement.
Rota have created a number of wheels that resemble other models from other companies, alot of the designs come from models that aren't manufactured anymore.
I don't see why people hate Rota.
I would happily buy Rota's for my car. I've considered selling my BBS's before and getting Rota's. Yeah, you heard right.

Every thread that hates on Rotas shows the same pictures of Rotas broken. And hell, how do you even know thats a picture of a Rota and not the real deal?
Whoever was driving those cars was obviously driving like a jerk in the first place.

I'm lucky I could afford to buy some real-deal wheel, but i would happily buy Rota's for my car.

/rant.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I tried. It made me want to get frosted tips; it took me back to the early 00s when I read Honda-Tech. I don't need to read 40 pages of people LOSING THEIR MINDS about Rotas, but I am having fun with you guys.

Post 45:

Cliff Notes:
~No wheel is really an original
~Hate the quality, not the style
~Companies focus on money, dont be mad at that
~If you can afford it, get it. If not, get Rota.

THIS PHOTO WITHOUT CONTEXT PROVES MAI POINT

Quick Reply: Rota Rims