2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

remove rear sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 PM
remove rear sway bar?

I know it is crazy but I am looking for weight loss and I don't care about high performance handling so I want to remove the rear sway bar assy if possible.

Bad idea? Probably, but it looks like an easy 50 pounds. (shroud plus rod) I don't have a clue how the rod attaches to the.... control arm is it? (the pivot thing) Anybody help?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
No way the bar weighs 50lbs, more like probably 5~7lbs. What is the shroud you are speaking of, I haven't gotten under my car to look yet. Also by taking it off, you are going to induce much understeer, though since you are not driving the car in a performance oriented manner, maybe that won't matter to you.

Sidenote...how much do you weigh and would it be better for yourself to lose some weight?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Absolutely no way that the rear sway bar weighs even 1/3 of what you're thinking...are you sure you're not looking at part of the rear beam and thinking it's removable?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 PM
ditch the back seats and spare tire

Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by unfitoldguy
I know it is crazy but I am looking for weight loss and I don't care about high performance handling so I want to remove the rear sway bar assy if possible.

Bad idea? Probably, but it looks like an easy 50 pounds. (shroud plus rod) I don't have a clue how the rod attaches to the.... control arm is it? (the pivot thing) Anybody help?
You are looking at the rear axle. Any sway bar spec is built into the beam, the sway bar cannot be removed from the axle nor the axle be removed from the vehicle and still be driven.

Not sure how hard core you are about weight loss but the interior is where to start.

b

Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
You are looking at the rear axle. Any sway bar spec is built into the beam, the sway bar cannot be removed from the axle nor the axle be removed from the vehicle and still be driven.

Not sure how hard core you are about weight loss but the interior is where to start.

b
The driver's seat is where to start! (well his userid does imply he's unfit)

Old 01-28-2010, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah ,that's not a sway bar, that's your ream axle beam, which is what the Fit has. Sadly, not an independent rear suspension, but handles decently all things considered.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Well what is that U-shaped part that goes over the bar? The bar attaches to it in the middle with a rubber piece. I think that part is heavy. I don't know suspension so maybe it is a required part or the wheels fall off. And as far as the bar itself, I thought maybe it was solid steel but probably not.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
Well what is that U-shaped part that goes over the bar? The bar attaches to it in the middle with a rubber piece. I think that part is heavy. I don't know suspension so maybe it is a required part or the wheels fall off. And as far as the bar itself, I thought maybe it was solid steel but probably not.
ok please don't take this negatively but the way you're wording things suggests to me that you shouldn't be removing anything from your car without learning more about it. It just isn't wise to start removing parts because you think it may be heavy. Honda put the car together a certain way for a reason...they pay their engineers a lot of money to know how to build a car.

I don't want to read about you in the paper after some crazy accident because you tampered with something you didn't have full knowledge of. Be safe and research, there's a lot of info out there!

Old 01-29-2010, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
Take the wheels off as well. At least will be one less unsafe car on the road.

Why remove weight? Go on a diet.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
bahhhh!

removing weight is a good thing. It is done by many enthusiests here as well as on countless other forums.

Just not the sway bar.

My spare is out of the car, (i have plugs and a lightweight 12v pump instead)
My rear seats are out, (more room for work stuff, or the dogs)
Most all my mods are based on removing weight, Odyssey battery, forged wheels, lightweight crank and alternator pulley etc.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Definitely nothing wrong with shaving weight in the correct places as overall it can be very beneficial to the overall driving experience.

From what I have seen of people in the US in the last 20 years, most could start losing that weight themselves. Ugghhhh that's a whole other story though and I am sure I probably offended somebody again.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Go ahead and start removing weight from the rear of an already overly front-biased FWD car.

Better would be to relocate the battery to the rear, switching to a lightweight like the Odyssey PC680. Then think about a carbon fiber hood.
Next, go for lightweight wheels, removing unsprung weight from all 4 corners.
Drive with the rear seats folded down, so as to lower the center of gravity. Yes that moves the mass a little toward the front but measuring the negative effect would be difficult. Then lean the passenger seat all the way back for the same effect. That way if you ever want passengers you won't need to bolt the seats back in, hoping you've re-torqued the bolts correctly and reapplied thread lock so the seats perform correctly in the event of a crash.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Definitely nothing wrong with shaving weight in the correct places as overall it can be very beneficial to the overall driving experience.

From what I have seen of people in the US in the last 20 years, most could start losing that weight themselves. Ugghhhh that's a whole other story though and I am sure I probably offended somebody again.
I think use of the word most is an exaggeration, maybe even stereotyping.
However change most to many and who could argue

Your point has some humor. I snowmobile where rider weight IS a huge factor. I'v had a number of 300LB+ guys brag to me that their 2 cylinder 2 stroke SkiDoo is 40 lbs lighter than my 4 cylinder 4 stroke Yamaha. I'm 6'2" 180 lbs

Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
I am going to rush out in the 7F cold and take my wing off. The side skirts will just take a couple of good kicks to remove. Don't need those fog lights either. Radio? Who needs one take the insulation out and listen to the rattles. Four lug nutson each wheel is overkill. Remove 4 - one off each wheel preferably.

The list goes on.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
I think use of the word most is an exaggeration, maybe even stereotyping.
However change most to many and who could argue

Your point has some humor. I snowmobile where rider weight IS a huge factor. I'v had a number of 300LB+ guys brag to me that their 2 cylinder 2 stroke SkiDoo is 40 lbs lighter than my 4 cylinder 4 stroke Yamaha. I'm 6'2" 180 lbs

No need to argue.
"Today, 66.3 percent of adult Americans (about 200 million) are categorized as being overweight or obese."

The Obesity Society

Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member

Perhaps if you shared with us exactly why you're reducing weight and you'll get more responses. Indeed you appeared as many have said to mistake the axle for an antiroll bar.
If you are looking for weeight reduction for drag racing there are several things youcan do involving suspension, wheels, interior, tires, and the like.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Perhaps if you shared with us exactly why you're reducing weight and you'll get more responses. Indeed you appeared as many have said to mistake the axle for an antiroll bar.
If you are looking for weeight reduction for drag racing there are several things youcan do involving suspension, wheels, interior, tires, and the like.
I agree, I think mistaking the torsion beam.
But removing the anti-roll bar is not nearly as ridiculous as people are trying to make it out to be.
I think (if memory serves) the base model does not get a rear anti-roll bar.
You can't compare removing it to removing wheels or lug nuts.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:19 PM
The additional sway bar present on some models is welded in at the ends so you would have to cut it. The U Section part of the cross beam holds the wheels straight, so you don't want to remove that.

As others have suggested, if you are that keen on weight reduction, there are hundreds of non-essential items you could get rid of.

You should be left with a bare metal interior and a driver's seat before you touch anything in the suspension.

Oh, and lay off the pizzas fatty!

Last edited by rosswond; 01-29-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 PM
xm8
Rear sway bar will prevent your car from leaning too much and it does NOT weigh 50 lbs. I would get light weight wheels but good forged wheels are expensive.

Quick Reply: remove rear sway bar?