2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How do I get the CompactFlash card out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 PM
How do I get the CompactFlash card out?

I have a 2010 Fit Sport/Navi.
I copied some MP3 files to a CompactFlash card.
I inserted the CompactFlash card into the PC Card slot in my Navi.
It just fell inside there!
Now it is rattling around.
How can I get it out?

Old 01-22-2010, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you may have stuck the wrong size one in there? Tweezers and a flashlight I guess. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
You need a PC card adapter to use a Compact Flash card in the Navi unit. That's why it didn't fit and fell through.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
i have a PC Card adapter for sale that can be used in the navi unit. the brand is Sandisk. $10. Let me know.

as for taking your card out...go to the dealer..and complain that there weren't instruction to use a PC adapter card in hopes they dont charge you for the service?

Old 01-22-2010, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
Probably have to take out the unit and housing to get to it.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by furjaw
I have a 2010 Fit Sport/Navi.
I copied some MP3 files to a CompactFlash card.
I inserted the CompactFlash card into the PC Card slot in my Navi.
It just fell inside there!
Now it is rattling around.
How can I get it out?
I would try the flashlight and tweezer route before I took it to the dealer or tried to take the unit out in order to retrieve it.

Another thing you may try -- and I have absolutely no clue whether it would work or not, never been in your position -- if you can see in there with a flashlight at all, try folding a piece of duct tape so it's fairly stiff (duct tape obviously sticks fairly well to all it's pressed against), but leave the end you're inserting into the unit sticky (in other words leave one end open, unfolded and sticky). Use the flashlight to find where the CF card is in the unit, carefully insert the duct tape retriever you made, try sticking it to the CF card, and try slowly retrieving it.

*NOTE*
You may want to carefully insert something really thin, such as a stiff wire, paper clip, etc. in with your other hand in order to press the duct tape firmer to the CF Card before trying to pull the card out.

Anyway, just something I thought of... it may even work!

Anything's better than tearing your dash apart (or worse, trusting someone else to do it ) and disassembling your navi unit. It's also better than paying some guy at a dealership -- who possibly doesn't care what your dash looks like after prying on it -- to retrieve the CF card for you.

You're probably thinking the same thing right about now, but, you really should read directions carefully before inserting things... into anything!

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 PM
If I were you, I'd take it in. The OEM head unit is INCREDIBLY pricey, and I think it would be better to pay Honda for an hour's worth of labor to remove the head unit and try to rattle it out than try to pull it out with tweezers.

The list on that thing is like 4K or so.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 PM
1 LED headlight or equivalent illuminating device
1 Popsicle stick
1 Qtip to open the opening to the slot
Two strips plain old tape

Take one piece of tape adhesive side out
Tape it with the other piece of tape to the end of the popsicle stick
Carefully slide it into the opened slot DO NOT PRESS DOWN ON ANYTHING! The pins under that card are very delicate and should not be bent.
Stick it to the cf card
Remove.

Works well for cd's in slot loaders, dvds in slot loaders, etc as well.

The unit does run roughly 3500, as noted previously.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:59 PM
If you just ignored it, what would happen? Does it literally make a rattling sound when you are driving around?

If not, I would just leave it and buy another CF card...

Old 01-24-2010, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HondaFitizen
If you just ignored it, what would happen? Does it literally make a rattling sound when you are driving around?

I agree if it is a 1GB Card. If it's a 16/32/64GB card time to go fishing.

~SB

Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HondaFitizen

Ahh, all kinds of advice from forum peeps... and no sign of the OP since he originally posted. He came in, he left dung, and apparently disappeared... leaving forum members to clean it up and get rid of the stench.

And he doesn't even bother to come back and flush!

Maybe this would have helped a lot:

Old 01-24-2010, 03:54 PM
You are assumming that they can read. If they graduated in the past 10 years, they probably can't. I have a Base Fit. That looks interesting.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
Ahh, all kinds of advice from forum peeps... and no sign of the OP since he originally posted. He came in, he left dung, and apparently disappeared... leaving forum members to clean it up and get rid of the stench.

And he doesn't even bother to come back and flush!

Maybe this would have helped a lot:

\

hahahaha

Old 01-24-2010, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member

OMG! The circle with a slash through it to the Right of the Words WMA/MP3 is my FAVORITE "Do Not" Sign ever!

~SB

Old 01-24-2010, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
You are assumming that they can read. If they graduated in the past 10 years, they probably can't.
I know, it's a scary thing! Especially considering most who visit these forums are more than likely from one of the most wealthy and prominent nations on the face of the earth. (US, Canada, Japan, etc.) There should be no excuse for academic ignorance this day and time. (don't flame me folks, I didn't say stupidity)

Don't get me started on public school systems this day and time.

Originally Posted by citabria7
I have a Base Fit. That looks interesting.
I'm not sure in what way you mean "interesting". As in possible ownership? Maybe as in the antiquated PC card slot?

Though it's a nice navigation system, supposedly one of the best around, Honda needs to give it some serious updates... even if it's only the map graphics and other (non-navigation) system displays. And let's face it, while it gives owners another option in the data/playback department, who puts PC card slots in audio units any longer?

Ahh, maybe they're making a comeback (PC card slots), and Honda wants to remain "in vogue" when it happens!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
There should be no excuse for academic ignorance this day and time. (don't flame me folks, I didn't say stupidity)

Don't get me started on public school systems this day and time.

As a teacher, I need to comment on this...I just cannot help myself. From what I have seen, it is not necessarily the school or the teachers--as we try very hard to help our kids achieve. The two problems that we encounter on a daily basis are

1) Parental apathy

It is funny how the kids whose parents we cannot get a hold of, are the ones that are consistently failing, acting up, or just in general being little shits.

2) State standards

We are so busy helping our kids pass a stupid test, that we don't have the time or the funds to do anything with real academic merit.

Ok end rant...and end off topic...

Back to the PC Card problem...

Old 01-24-2010, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
As a teacher, I need to comment on this...I just cannot help myself. From what I have seen, it is not necessarily the school or the teachers--as we try very hard to help our kids achieve. The two problems that we encounter on a daily basis are

1) Parental apathy

It is funny how the kids whose parents we cannot get a hold of, are the ones that are consistently failing, acting up, or just in general being little shits.

2) State standards

We are so busy helping our kids pass a stupid test, that we don't have the time or the funds to do anything with real academic merit.

Don't get me wrong... I never said teachers were the problem. Everything you said, but yes, sadly, some teachers are to blame.

In the U.S. I mainly blame:

- Lazy, apathetic and incoherent parents
- Petty "political correctness"
- Petty, power-hungry and self-aggrandizing politicians
- Idiotic "social" engineering/experimentation as opposed to hard-core "teaching"
- Most important (which goes hand-in-hand with the politicians), the NEA.

My neighbor's kids just "graduated" high school. They are, for lack of a "nicer" term, academic morons! Like I said, scary!

Last edited by annunC8; 01-24-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
OMG! The circle with a slash through it to the Right of the Words WMA/MP3 is my FAVORITE "Do Not" Sign ever!

~SB
Yeah... that's kinda' like "*WARNING* Do not drink this bleach!"

Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3

1) Parental apathy

2) State standards

Since the OP hasn't returned... I'll hop in on the Education discussion.

Both Reasons I changed from Secondary Math Ed/comp Sci Minor to straight Computer Science my Senior Year of college. I grew up with a Math teacher as a mother, Two Chemistry professors as grandparents, an english Teacher (in Amsterdam) as an Aunt, and a biochem Professor as an uncle and oh... the stories I'd hear about the "system". One of the biggest problems as you said, is state standards. These standards require alot of outside work, really only related to paperwork... This takes time away from teachers being... well... Teachers! Also the Union. I've seen the union fight tooth & Nail to keep a teacher employed for 5 years when she was there for literally only 2/3 of each school year. She killed off the same family members Dozens of times and when the district wanted to ditch her... The Union was there to keep her employed. The school board & board of Education... needs to be made up of teachers... Good ones... who want to do the best for the students; not of Parents, and coaches. Not People who have spent 3 years in a classroom getting buy just so they could work their way up into administration. not Statisticians who say this is what a kid should be able to do, but teachers who have administered these state tests and seen kids fail a math test because their Second language is English or because they have a reading comprehension disability.

Teachers need to Teach. get the paperwork out

But...

Teachers need to be GOOD at what they do. I went through high school and college with too many teachers that were not capable of handling the intelligent students so that group was lacking in many ways. You can't have Average Teachers teaching exceptional students.

Yeah... that's kinda' like "*WARNING* Do not drink this bleach!"

yeah... and our health insurance rates go up so that we can rehabilitate these people so they can do it all again. Shouldn't there be a tax on stupidity? The 1st time you lose a finger to the wood chipper... that's free. The 2nd time, it's gonna cost ya.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 01-24-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
I'm glad to see your replies. I feel confident in saying that I am above average as far as intelligence goes--and I am PASSIONATE about giving my kids the real juice of my subject (History). I want them to find the human story in history, and find the commonalities in the various happenings throughout the centuries so that maybe they can become educated voters, citizens, people. I want them to understand war, nationalism, imperialism, human nature, etc.

I try to challenge my kids to push forward, and to learn more and more.

The ones that are a challenge to me are the kids that just don't care.

I'm a fun teacher, I know that I am--but I am also serious about them learning and about succeeding--so when I have kids that couldn't care less, it drives me BONKERS!

Quick Reply: How do I get the CompactFlash card out?