2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Has any one done a rear disc brake upgrade on their GE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 AM
xm8
Has any one done a rear disc brake upgrade on their GE?

Has any one done a rear disc brake upgrade on their GE? The stock master cylinder looks real small. GD owners have done this swap.

What is the cost?
Where do you get the parts?
Is the brake pedal firm after the upgrade? Or is the MC too small?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 AM
why would you want discs?

Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
I suppose if xm8 were to autocross, he would have more than enough reason to be asking this question.

So I guess my question is, why do you care so much about what other people do their own cars?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:08 AM
I'm with u Baylor bro..

Old 01-21-2010, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member
No.
Go research it.
give me roughly $1500 and i'll have it done

Old 01-21-2010, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member
i doubt ne one in the states have it yet. the JDM RS fits have disk brakes standard i think. i was talking to JDM_DOHC_SiR the other day about this n he mentioned that the disk brakes are A LOT heavier than our drums so you might want to think about that also.

im looking into getting disk brakes and 5 lug also. when i come across any concrete information, ill let you know. as far as i gotten so far, is to purchase the disk brake set up from japan n slap them on yourself but thats gonna cost you more than a G. gimme a 2-3 months then ill have them done

Last edited by lilaznphatboy; 01-21-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spell check LOL
Old 01-21-2010, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
BRAKES not breaks

Old 01-21-2010, 10:17 AM
but pound for pound drums can stop more then discs. and they dont wear out as fast...

what they have like .1 sec. less response?
your not going to feel that, i say stick with the drums they work great

Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
I've been greatly impressed with how smoothly and quickly my '10 Base Fit stops when I need it to! -Yowsser!!

So, while I agree that there's no sense or much reason in criticizing someone else's mods (or desire to mod?), I see nothing wrong with asking the question '"why do you want to anyway..?" when it comes to changing certain operating systems on the Fit. -Some of us might really be legitimately interested in understanding why people want to do these types of changes, y'know? And being so defensive over the "why do it" inquiry certainly leaves one with the impression that the mod in question is not really a terribly important, or even a necessary, concept?

I mean, is it just "I want to do this mod just because I can"? -Or is there a real improvement to be found in the modification that others of us are not aware of yet?

There are really no dumb questions IMO. -But some of the answers...?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Anyways, the best bang-for-your-buck upgrade for the rear brakes would be stiffer front springs. The one time I had to pull a true emergency stop, my real limitation was the fact that the car nosed down too much and the weight was lifted too much off the rear tires. I was still able to stop in time even with feathering the brakes so I didn't end up with a Camry in my ass, but the springs would be a better thing to upgrade.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lilaznphatboy
i doubt ne one in the states have it yet. the JDM RS fits have disk breaks standard i think. i was talking to JDM_DOHC_SiR the other day about this n he mentioned that the disk breaks are A LOT heavier than our drums so you might want to think about that also.

im looking into getting disk breaks and 5 lug also. when i come across any concrete information, ill let you know. as far as i gotten so far, is to purchase the disk break set up from japan n slap them on yourself but thats gonna cost you more that a G. gimme a 2-3 months then ill have them done
i also want to do 5 lug jus to get better options for wheels. lemme know when u get this done. would be interested in pricing, difficulty of gathering parts and installation.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
I'd convert to rears discs and slap on the JDM FD2 CTR front brakes if I were to road race my GE8. But for a daily driver, the stock brake system is sufficient.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitisbamf
but pound for pound drums can stop more then discs. and they dont wear out as fast...

what they have like .1 sec. less response?
your not going to feel that, i say stick with the drums they work great
The problem with drums is that they overheat. So if you're in a setting where you are you using your brakes a lot, such as at a track, the Fit drums will not be sufficient for anything heavy. Daily driving, yes the drums are just fine, unless you're just going for a different look.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:47 AM
xm8
Sports cars and any car above a throw-a-way econobox uses disc brakes instead of drums. Drums are cost effective for car manufacturers and they standard on the bottom end cars. If drums are so great why did the NSX, S2000, Integra Type R come with rear disc?

Have you ever worked on drums? The brake dust stay inside the drums reducing braking performance. Drums take me way longer to swap out than disc brakes. Drums are shit.

Read these articles and you will know why drums are shit:

http://www.h-e-l.co.uk/brake-doctor/discs.htm

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...ctober/13.html

Last edited by xm8; 01-24-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 PM
is it possible to buy some sort of disc kit from the euro market. I know for a fact that the Jazz has rear discs. Hell even the insight has rear discs (and nicer rims too).

Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
first of all let me say, hey do whatever you want, it is your car!

I think a rear disc swap is rougher on a GE8 because the hub plates are welded on the torsion beam vs the GD3 which are bolted on. (Did Dave (SirJDM) say a new torsion beam was involved)????? Pretty sure he has said that one would need a JDM torsion beam to mount calipers etc.

As a rule discs are better, but the Fit is light, is particularly nose heavy and it is tall. That means with weight transfer in braking, very little is required in the way of rear brakes, so drums actually are more than fine. I think good enough for a racing application as Spoon for their GD3 race car kept rear drums. In fact they converted to 1st gen Insight aluminum drums and it worked out great.

Pic of the Spoon Fit race car's aluminum drums. As you can see, high buck items like coil overs and expensive forged wheels. Hard to believe they cheaped out keeping drums if it was not the best way to go.

Last edited by Tork; 01-24-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtunofun
is it possible to buy some sort of disc kit from the euro market. I know for a fact that the Jazz has rear discs. Hell even the insight has rear discs (and nicer rims too).
Given how the Fit and CR-Z share the same platform, I wonder how feasible it would be to swap out the entire torsion bar from the CR-Z and install it into the Fit. A used assembly once they start hitting the salvage yards would be much cheaper importing the same from Japan. Then again, there is the four lug vs. five lug issue.

Last edited by glarus; 01-25-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by xm8
If drums are so great why did the NSX, S2000, Integra Type R come with rear disc?
If 87 octane fuel is so great, why do these cars require 93?

Those cars are all high-performance.

At the end of the day there's "better" and there's "application-appropriate." Are discs better than drums? No question. Are drums an appropriate application on a lightweight(ish), low horsepower, front-heavy economy hatchback? Absolutely. Very few drivers will even give it a second thought and as far as they're considered, when they hit the "stop" pedal it stops - all is good.

Sports cars have a lot of things Fit doesn't come with. Fit is not a sports car, though.

So yeah, if you need the better performance or you just like it that's cool, but the drums are adequate.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
FYI one reason why im going rear disk brakes is because once (if) they come out with mounts n brackets for the K-series motor, im on it. doing the brakes now is something i can take car of now instead of later when i do the swap.

i DIDN'T buy the car for the fuel efficiency i mainly bought it cuz i wanted to work on a newer platform

Old 01-25-2010, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
There you go, upgraded K power, upgraded brakes are a good idea.

Few folk know more than Dave about the GE, send him a PM. He travels so give him a bit to answer.

Link to Dave

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/member.php?u=3785

Quick Reply: Has any one done a rear disc brake upgrade on their GE?