2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Has any one done a rear disc brake upgrade on their GE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
that is one extremely expensive parking brake

Old 10-30-2010, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xm8
Honda upgraded the Jazz to rear disc because drums are shit.
lol ricer fanboi

Old 10-30-2010, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
this thread is fun.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by fitisbamf
why would you want discs?
although braking performance prob wouldn't improve much, they look cleaner and may reduce unsprung weight (haven't examined the weight differences). I plan on doing a swap as soon as i use up the drums. oh, fad under heavy braking would be reduced.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by lilaznphatboy
i doubt ne one in the states have it yet. the JDM RS fits have disk brakes standard i think. i was talking to JDM_DOHC_SiR the other day about this n he mentioned that the disk brakes are A LOT heavier than our drums so you might want to think about that also.

im looking into getting disk brakes and 5 lug also. when i come across any concrete information, ill let you know. as far as i gotten so far, is to purchase the disk brake set up from japan n slap them on yourself but thats gonna cost you more than a G. gimme a 2-3 months then ill have them done
I imagine as the popularity of the fit increases we will be able to get some nice alum disks, that would decrease the weight.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:51 PM
ok, drums on an 18 wheeler make sense but have you ever seen the pads and drums on those things they are huge, however most of the tanker trucks that haul rocket fuel, and gas have disks on all their axles because of the repeatability of the discs, you will get one good stop out of drums but disc have repeatability which is a good thing, also they are great in the rain cause they through the water off if it, thirdly they just look great. and if your car isn't fast, (fit) then it has to look great. (btw i own a fit and me saying it isn't fast was not a stab, its not, its a great platform and a great commuter).

Old 10-31-2010, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
wow I can't believe XM8 is still arguing this...lol

Old 10-31-2010, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
its cause rear disc are fancy.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
You dug up a 9 month old thread?

Let's face it, drums have their advantage and so do disc brakes.
Really? what advantage do drum brakes have? Not one that discs aren't better. Even changing pads discs are horrendously more time-consuming and tediuos to do.

If you don't change your tires, or the weight distribution of the car (and it would have to be A LOT)... a disc conversion ISN'T going to help. All the disc would do, lock up sooner. Like posted earlier, braking is all about friction and traction. You'd rather have tires with traction slow you down, than to skid, right?

Disc brakes lock up much less quickly than drums; the area of contact for drum shoes is far greater than discs. We converted to rear discs long ago (see ancient posts with photos) and have no lockup in track conditions where we locked up the drums regularly. (a lot due to the weight transfer to the front leaving drums with too much braking contact surface for the weight carried)

BTW... unless you drive through a pond of water, you're not all that likely to have water on the braking surfaces to begin with. The drums face in and the sheer spinning would create a slight air "surface" that repels smaller water droplets.
In lots of water drums will lose more braking power than discs; discs are more able to wipe away the water than drums where water is squeezed between the shoe and drum. Anyone raced in IMSA or SCCA wet conditions will assure you of that.

And if you do drive through a pond... you shouldn't be going all that fast for a while anyway.

Let me list it this way.

Are disc brakes superior to drums? Yes.
Are they absolutely necessary in the Fit? No.
How would a disc conversion affect the fit? Negatively, if it's the only change. Our AJ conversion now has more than 20,000 miles on it with continued superior results. Other than deactivating front antisway bar to elinminate much of the understeer on Fits, no other changes. And even that isn't necessary.

Discs are superior to drums in every way. honda put discs on European and Asian cars because their drivers are more aggressive than US ones and discsc are better - and less costly.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Discs are superior to drums in every way. honda put discs on European and Asian cars because their drivers are more aggressive than US ones and discsc are better - and less costly.
riiight. and if discs were less costly, honda would definitely use them. why would honda spend more money than they have to on their lowest model economy shit box?

Old 10-31-2010, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Discs are definitely not cheaper. That's WHY we have DRUM brakes. The only REAL advantage to having disks on a street car like the Fit is for looks. If I had the money, I would get rear discs because the drums honestly do look like shit.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Like many have said before unless you're planning to race your Fit competitively then the stock drums are perfectly fine for everyday driving. Even then I'm not so sure since Spoon sports races their Fit in endurance races with rear drums. If Spoon stuck with the drums on their race car then suck it up because I doubt your racing/testing is anywhere close to what they're doing.

I think some of you need to quit making assumptions. I can guarantee Honda didn't add disks to overseas models because they thought the drivers were more aggressive. It's a money decision plain and simple. Swapping over to disks is going to be really expensive and you still would have to deal with the braking force being distributed properly. I doubt this upgrade would cost less than $2000 more than 10% of the cost of the car and you're not even racing the car...lol

Last edited by bmxman; 10-31-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-31-2010, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Spoon Sports fit spankin all over an Evo!

YouTube - HONDA FIT SPOON superstreet time attack

Old 10-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by bmxman
Spoon Sports fit spankin all over an Evo!

YouTube - HONDA FIT SPOON superstreet time attack
LOL that pass was like taking candy from a baby

Old 10-31-2010, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
that was cute.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:27 PM
hmmm... I wonder if that was rear disc brake... can't tell it was so fast... must be all disc

Old 10-31-2010, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
just need the complete rear sub-assembly from the jdm jazz and mount it up since our hubs are welded on. then attach the rotors in back. good luck with getting all the parts needed for the rear conversion.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:47 PM
xm8
fastbrakes.com has a kit for $975 but that's too expensive. I emailed fastbrakes and they will sell the bracket kit, park brake cables, brake lines and plain rotors for $430 + $20 Shipping. I will have to buy RSX calipers through ebay for $110. Tirerack.com Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads for $46.00 Total price of everything will be $606.

Last edited by xm8; 10-31-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
so $600 for very little to no real gain? SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by Lukasz2534
ok, drums on an 18 wheeler make sense but have you ever seen the pads and drums on those things they are huge, however most of the tanker trucks that haul rocket fuel, and gas have disks on all their axles because of the repeatability of the discs, you will get one good stop out of drums but disc have repeatability which is a good thing, also they are great in the rain cause they through the water off if it, thirdly they just look great. and if your car isn't fast, (fit) then it has to look great. (btw i own a fit and me saying it isn't fast was not a stab, its not, its a great platform and a great commuter).

well thats only cuz they heat up their brakes, our fits weigh nothing, so you shouldnt have that much fade. if you do you brake too much. and i dont see how the looks of a dics could be better, disc get all rusty and shitty on rainy days and when they get worn down they get tons of streaks on them, where as my rear drums are still a beautiful shiny black and dont change colors.... ever so please if u want to spend the money on a brake upgrade ill spend the money on better suspension and maybe some power... im thinkin of makin a super charger or some kinda turbo thats later on in the exhaust i just hate the noise superchagers make. but they are easier.

i dont care to argue over it i dont see what the point but if u think that dics are sooooo much better then your there is no way i can change your mind

Quick Reply: Has any one done a rear disc brake upgrade on their GE?