2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Tire Pressures

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Tire Pressures

Soo, I have been running for about a month with 45Lbs. front and 40Lbs. rear pressure on my Fit after having read here somebody doing it. This weekend I brought the pressures down to 35Lbs. front and 30Lbs. rear and went out driving, I think am going to leave them there. With the higher pressures I was hoping to get better gas mileage but let me tell you, every time it hit a bump, it would feel like solid rubber tires not only that but the wind would throw the car off course very easily. Now it feels more stable and stays on course.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I did the same with mine. Got no real mpg increase, but how much more do you need when you already get 38 mpg. Works great at 36 psi for me, and ride better.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
33 Psi for me, no problems here.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Just a couple other threads that this has been discussed similar to this.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ressure-2.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...indicator.html

Old 01-19-2010, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
I just adjusted my tire pressure recently to 35 PSI front and 33 PSI rear. I am getting 38 MPG at this point (actual). My TPMS triggers at 30 PSI.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
How anyone can ride on pressures as high as 40 psi is beyond me. At 33 psi, the stock dunlops are a perfect combination of handling, traction, and FEEL. Any stiffer and you'd better wear a bite plate!

Dan

Old 01-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
How anyone can ride on pressures as high as 40 psi is beyond me. At 33 psi, the stock dunlops are a perfect combination of handling, traction, and FEEL. Any stiffer and you'd better wear a bite plate!

Dan

Yeah, tell me about it, any little road imperfection was felt really hard not to mention real bumps. I always run the pressures a little higher to compensate for air pressure loss between checking and refilling but I had never ran them as high as some members here.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MIAMIFIT
Soo, I have been running for about a month with 45Lbs. front and 40Lbs. rear pressure on my Fit ...
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." [Abraham Lincoln]

Old 01-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jodele
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." [Abraham Lincoln]

Now, why do you have to start insulting people for no reason. This forum is for us to write whatever without fear of predators like you insulting us. You should apply Lincolns quote to yourself.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Miamifit..You are right. There are getting to be way too many smart asses on the forum.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
I figure Honda was thinking when they put PSI reccomendations on the Dunlops, so that's what I'll follow.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jodele
Why'd you have to do that?

I am also constantly experimenting with tire pressures. I prefer to keep the tires in the 40ies. I honestly believe I get better mpg and driving just feels better and more sporty to me then when I keep them at 32.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 AM
I keep mine at 36 for two reasons: My tire company, a good one, recommends it for all my cars, and ride is good and tire wear is even on all 4 tires. Good enough for me.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Actually, that was 3 reasons, wasn't it.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
I figure Honda was thinking when they put PSI reccomendations on the Dunlops, so that's what I'll follow.
A-MEN! The Recommendation on the Door jam for the tires is there for a reason; Honda tested the car with a certain Aspect ratio tire and determined this is the best option.

Originally Posted by citabria7
I keep mine at 36 for two reasons: My tire company, a good one, recommends it for all my cars, and ride is good and tire wear is even on all 4 tires. Good enough for me.
Not to jump on this one but... any tire company that recommends the same thing for all cars, is NOT a good Tire company. a FIT will have different tire pressure ratings than other cars. Heck, The Base fit has a different recommended pressure from the Sport. No Two cars are the same, so while many might have similar tire pressures, there is a reason for the differences. Honda makes the Fit and works with the tire manufacturers to choose an appropriate tire, Tire manufacturers don't pick the fit and develop a tire just for that car. They may make adjustments to meet a car makers request but they start with a base tire (such as the turanzas) and then make minor changes.

~SB

Old 01-20-2010, 10:13 PM
yeah, but experimenting with tire pressure is good for getting driver feed-back from the car, and therefore people are learning how it can and does affect the driving quality and performance. I would have no problem with going with Honda's rec., but experimenting with a reasonable amount of increase/decrease is a great experience for drivers to see how the car handle and performs with such increases/decreases.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Manufacturers recommend tire pressures for a number of different reasons. Not all of them are for the best performance or mileage. Often it is for ride smoothness. In my case, the 36 psi gives even wear, better handling and good mileage. Good enough for me on both my Solstice and Fit. My CR-V gets lower pressure. Blindly following a car manufacturers numbers for everything does not always give the best results, from tire wear, mileage or engine life.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
As I've said before. Set them to the recommended pressures. Run them for a while then get yourself a tread depth gauge and measure the tire wear. Adjust the pressures (More pressure if edge tread is more worn or less pressure if the center tread is more worn) so that the tires wear evenly.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
Manufacturers recommend tire pressures for a number of different reasons. Not all of them are for the best performance or mileage. Often it is for ride smoothness. In my case, the 36 psi gives even wear, better handling and good mileage. Good enough for me on both my Solstice and Fit. My CR-V gets lower pressure. Blindly following a car manufacturers numbers for everything does not always give the best results, from tire wear, mileage or engine life.
I believe that most manufacturers recommend pressures that are on the low side for comfort. In my experience, +10% usually results in better tire wear and handling, with little change in comfort. Higher pressures also give you more of a "cushion" if you are lazy/erratic about checking, and it's far better to err on the high side than on the low.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 AM
As others have said, manufacturer recommendations are compromises made to weigh multiple factors. In addition to ride comfort, gas mileage, handling, and tire wear, we also have to add simplicity for simple-minded consumers. Neither the door jam nor manual details adding pressure for additional load. The load capacity of the Fit is 850 lbs. Ideally you should probably add a few PSI of tire pressure for each say 200 pounds of additional cargo weight (including passengers). But that's too complicated for the average consumer to mess with. So one number on the door jamb is a good compromise, but it's not necessarily the "best" depending on what the goal or conditions are.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressures