2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 vs 2010 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
2009 vs 2010 comparison

I just bought a 2010 fit sport manual, and my wife bought a 2009 sport automatic. I read that there was no difference, but I have found two things that are different.

1. The ground effects in the front (that drag the curb when you head in park it) are higher on mine by about 3/4". This is good, because most the time my wife's fit drags and mine does not.
2. The mileage indicator is accurate on mine and hers is off. Her's reads much higher than the actual.
3. Her fit has the bridgestone tires, and mine has the dunlop. Same size, but different brands.

Are there any other differences?

Is there somewhere that lists all the differences?

might be interesting.

STeve

Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by balesmachine
1. The ground effects in the front (that drag the curb when you head in park it) are higher on mine by about 3/4". This is good, because most the time my wife's fit drags and mine does not.
2. The mileage indicator is accurate on mine and hers is off. Her's reads much higher than the actual.
3. Her fit has the bridgestone tires, and mine has the dunlop. Same size, but different brands.

STeve
-- I could be wrong, but every 2009 Fit I've seen had a lot of either painted (the car's color) or primer (underbody treatment?) showing in the wheel wells. Every 2010 Fit I've seen thus far has a lot more of a black covering (or coating?) under the wheel wells. Body paint and/or primer (treatment) hasn't been as visibly noticeable on the 2010 models I've seen.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong... my Fit hasn't been delivered yet and I cannot verify that based on my car. If so, that's a welcomed change for me. That paint/primer/treatment showing in the wheel wells is probably one of the things [cosmetically] I dislike the most about the Fit.

One of my first changes will be to mask-off and paint all non-black areas of the wheel wells (flat black). I think was extremely cheap of Honda to have left the wheel wells the way they did. Looks terrible.

** A note about the Bridgestones and Dunlops **

That's not a new thing. I've seen 2009 models with both brands since the day they released the '09 models. I think that's just a matter of which brand Honda gets the "deals" on at any given time.

-- The 2010s apparently have the updated maps 2009 navi owners must now pay for in order to receive. (Gloat! )

-- Some models no longer get a spare tire, they get a tire fix kit. Or, maybe this is just for Canadian Fits. Or, maybe a TPMS issue. Whatever, it's actually kinda' cool. It comes with a cool little storage compartment where the spare would have been. Think I'd rather have that than the crappy donut!

Near the end of the vid:
YouTube - 2009 Honda Fit DX (Canadian Base Model) Exterior/Interior

-- Also, a little known fact... if you open the upper glove box and access the interior filter compartment, Honda stuffed a $100 dollar bill in with the filter to show all American-only buyers how much they appreciate their business!

Ok... I made that last one up, sorry!

When my 2010 arrives I will post anything else I notice different. I'm pretty familiar with the '09 model.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
Some models no longer get a spare tire, they get a tire fix kit. Or, maybe this is just for Canadian Fits.
The manual implies that it's only for the Canadian Fits. It's interesting to try and figure out the differences between the two models (Canadian/US).

Old 01-19-2010, 07:43 AM
2009 Fit comes with Tanabe sport suspension, Progress Rear Sway Bar, JDM Tailights, Accord Horn (No meep meep), LED Fogs, LED Parking lights and LED interior lights. Oh wait...that's just mine
Sorry felt like being a smart a$$.

There is no changes from the 2009 Fit to the 2010 Fit. Yes updates have been made to the MID and Navi but that is it. That is mostly due to them not working properly in the first place. No parts to the body or painting have been changed. From what I've seen different tires are offered in different area's of the country.

Until a MMC (Minor Model Change - Mid-cycle freshening of an existing model. Often limited to subtle cosmetic changes but sometimes new trim levels and/or drivetrain options are introduced) in 2011 I don't think there is anything different that I would get worked up about. But that's just me.

"2010 Honda Fit
Carryover. Completely redesigned for 2009, the Honda Fit does not have any significant changes for the 2010 model year."
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=845167

2010 Honda Fit: No Changes, And That's Quite Alright - The Car Connection

Last edited by Committobefit08; 01-19-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
The missing spare tire (with fix kit) is only Canadian automatic Fits. If you have a manual transmission you get a spare.

I really think it's a bad move to not have a spare tire especially in Canada. Harsh winter and some really remote places. If you hit a road hazard, blow a tire, you're stranded.

Last edited by Virtual; 01-19-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
I saw a girl with the same ge in TW but, hers had the rear bottom diffuser blacked. It was like that when she bought it. I know because I asked if she did it herself. Hers was a 10' and mines a 09'. It had this nice flat black paint on it, obviously was green with envy that hers came like that stock.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
I have no idea about that
You should update with the TSB
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...g-display.html
My 09 Taffeta had Bridgestones, My 09 Crystal Black Pearl has Dunlops
You can get either one or the other

Yeah, you have an 09, she has an 10

Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by JJIN
I saw a girl with the same ge in TW but, hers had the rear bottom diffuser blacked. It was like that when she bought it. I know because I asked if she did it herself. Hers was a 10' and mines a 09'. It had this nice flat black paint on it, obviously was green with envy that hers came like that stock.
Didn't come like that stock. Might have came from the dealer like that but not from factory. Remember its really easy to do and anyone with a can of spray paint can do it. A lot of poeple have done that on here....wanna see...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-diffuser.html

Dealers will paint parts for "custom looks" There have been many dealers that painted Acura's Power Plenum grilles on the newer TSX's/TL's. There are a couple of brand new TL's at the dealership down the road from me with painted grilles. IMO looks a lot better. See....
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699025

What the girl didn't tell you was the dealer charged her an extra $200 for a $5 paint job.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 01-19-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
The missing spare tire (with fix kit) is only Canadian automatic Fits. If you have a manual transmission you get a spare.

I really think it's a bad move to not have a spare tire especially in Canada. Harsh winter and some really remote places. If you hit a road hazard, blow a tire, you're stranded.

It's for fuel economy rating in Canada to qualify for some rebate. Since the auto weighs more, it would have pushed it past the fuel economy threshold for the rebate, so for auto Fits, they get rid of the spare and you get the kit. But you can get the spare as an option. It's Honda's way to get around the government rebate.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Please, correct me if I'm wrong... my Fit hasn't been delivered yet and I cannot verify that based on my car. If so, that's a welcomed change for me. That paint/primer/treatment showing in the wheel wells is probably one of the things [cosmetically] I dislike the most about the Fit.
I can only say that my '09 doesn't have that problem at all. At the moment, the wheel wells are suffering from a horrible color of winter dirt, but when they're cleaned they will be black again!

Old 01-20-2010, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Same Car. Retooling factories is expensive.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Some are made in Sayama, some in Suzuka.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
The mileage indicator was revised in late '09, and can be updated on '09s by way of a firmware upgrade. There's a service bulletin about this, and several threads on this forum about it.

Honda buys both Dunlop and Bridgestone tires for OEM fitment. Which kind you get on yours is more "luck of the draw" than anything else.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by balesmachine
I think this might be due to extra weight of the AT.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:07 AM
So, if tires are "luck of the draw", what are better - Bridgestone or Dunlop?

The big differences btw Canadian Fits and US Fits are, as far as I can see:

- No TPMS in Canada
- Ironically, no spare on Automatic CDN fits (as mentioned) even without the TPMS?!?!?!
- no paddle shift anymore on Automatics
- No NAV option in Canada
- LX Model in Canada that sits between base and Sport.
- $1000 more to buy and $1400 Freight vs $700 in USA - even though currencies are at par....

BUT -

I am getting mine much sooner than expected, likely in a week or so, because there are lots of manual Sports (and Base, and LX) out there. Seems as though Americans have to wait forever if they want a manual tranny.

Last edited by kevinmoose; 04-08-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kevinmoose
So, if tires are "luck of the draw", what are better - Bridgestone or Dunlop?
according to tirerack.... Dunlop has higher UTQG rating 330 vs 300

Dunlop: http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=CA1&...num=855HR67000
Bridgestone: http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=CA1&...um=855HR6EL470

Mine came with Dunlop.. i was kinda upset at first, but after seeing those ratings iam kinda glad.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
according to tirerack.... Dunlop has higher UTQG rating 330 vs 300

Dunlop: http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=CA1&...num=855HR67000
Bridgestone: http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=CA1&...um=855HR6EL470

Mine came with Dunlop.. i was kinda upset at first, but after seeing those ratings iam kinda glad.
Doesn't that just mean that the Dunlops are rated for about 10% more tread life? I have the Bridgestones on my '09, so I can't comment on the Dunlops. I'm happy with the Bridgestones as far as traction, handling, noise, etc. At this point I project about 30,000 mile life for them-I'll be looking for new tires this fall.