2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Navigation screen does not turn off

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Navigation screen does not turn off

So... I had a problem with a very small power inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter. It kept popping the fuse. After i realized it was the inverter, I threw it away, and replaced the fuse. The cigarette lighter works again. But immediately after that, i noticed that when i turn off my car, the navigation screen does not immediately turn off. It turns off after about 5 minutes.

Any ideas????

Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Roger's Fit
So... I had a problem with a very small power inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter. It kept popping the fuse. After i realized it was the inverter, I threw it away, and replaced the fuse. The cigarette lighter works again. But immediately after that, i noticed that when i turn off my car, the navigation screen does not immediately turn off. It turns off after about 5 minutes.

Any ideas????
... some kind of power-off timing device? I've heard of some audio systems having features such as this.

On another note, I'm assuming you're military. If so, thanks for your service. I'm one person who appreciates your effort and sacrifice. As far as I'm concerned, everyone in the free world owes you!

Salute!

Last edited by annunC8; 01-14-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Useless information!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Any ideas????
See if the power outlet also stays powered while the display is on. If it is there may be a relay sticking on that circuit. If not there is something else going on. Does the radio stay on or just the display panel? Regardless, I would disconnect the battery for several minutes and get everything reset. Make sure you have your radio code handy.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Ok. My mistake. After the previous inverter went bad, I hooked up my old inverter. I forgot, I have seen this behavior before on a previous car. The inverter has large input filter capacitors, that feeds back on the cigarette lighter. I unplugged it, and the navigation behavior is now normal.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Ok. My mistake. After the previous inverter went bad, I hooked up my old inverter. I forgot, I have seen this behavior before on a previous car. The inverter has large input filter capacitors, that feeds back on the cigarette lighter. I unplugged it, and the navigation behavior is now normal.
My neighbor has an aftermarket audio system (I checked with him a little while ago to make sure I was remembering correctly) that has a feature (?) which will allow the unit to stay on even after turning the key off and removing it from the ignition. He says he can set the amount of time it automatically shuts down after the ignition switch is turned completely off and the key removed. Maybe a safety feature for those who listen with the car off and forget to shut down the audio system before exiting?

Anyway, that's why I suggested what I did and was checking the manuals. Sorry for the really bad guess on my part! As far as cause and solution? Waaaayyy out of my league!

BTW, I'll politely and humbly delete the totally useless parts of my first response now!

Last edited by annunC8; 01-14-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8

On another note, I'm assuming you're military. If so, thanks for your service. I'm one person who appreciates your effort and sacrifice. As far as I'm concerned, everyone in the free world owes you!

Salute!
You're welcome