2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New Honda Fit 2009 & iPod 2009 6th Gen not compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 PM
New Honda Fit 2009 & iPod 2009 6th Gen not compatible?

I recently purchased a 2009 Fit and it appears to be incompatible with the 6th Generation iPod I bought in 2009.

Details:
-I have Fit Sport with standard stock Radio (not navi)
-Error Message is Unsupported Dev
-iPod 6th Gen with Software Version 2.0.1
-It worked for the two times I plugged it in, then gave the error message. I didn't make any changes to my knowledge.

Does anyone have advice to offer to get it working again?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
maybe it automatically updated the software when
you last plugged it in to your computer?

my computer keeps asking me to update the software
and i keep refusing it. i'm afraid it will not work afterwards.

this is the worst thing Honda ever invented. It totally sucks
that it only works with some ipods. it should have been made to
work with all mp3 players. end of story. oh well thats just
my .02 cents

Old 01-09-2010, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
I'm sorry to hear. I own an 80GB model released in 2007. I mainly listen to my ipod in the car so having the USB in the Fit is nice.

Not sure if what format your ipod is operating on makes a difference. My ipod was formatted with Windows before and worked fine in my Fit. It's now formatted with Mac and nothing has changed.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
maybe it automatically updated the software when
you last plugged it in to your computer?

my computer keeps asking me to update the software
and i keep refusing it. i'm afraid it will not work afterwards.

this is the worst thing Honda ever invented. It totally sucks
that it only works with some ipods. it should have been made to
work with all mp3 players. end of story. oh well thats just
my .02 cents
Unfortunately, there is no way for honda to make it compatible with all mp3 players outside of the Aux input jack on the front of the Head unit. there is no Standard by which MP3 Companies go by (especially not Apple) Microsoft attempted to do this with WMA devices and "Plays for sure" but the WMA Protected format really never caught on. (Primarily because of the iPod and it's Phenomenal interface) Apple can change their software at will, just like any other company and Honda cannot do anything about it. Devices such as my Harman Kardon Drive+Play (which is strictly an iPod controller & doesn't support other MP3 Players at all) doesn't support All iPods because Apple has chosen to change their standards by which they develop the Firmware. I even had a 1st gen iPod with separate buttons above the wheel - wouldn't work with practically anything because it was firewire only.

First things first, Find another iPod Cable and try it, If that's not the issue, Take your iPod to the dealer and plug it into a fit on the Lot to see if it works, if it does, take your car to Honda and say hey... my radio is broken. If it doesn't..... well read on.

Whether Honda/Alpine (I believe) has engineers working on this for the Fit or not is an unknown and unless the Head unit is Firmware upgradable, it is a lost cause. Honestly, it was bound to happen at some point and it's not Honda's fault. Is it apple's? Probably not either, just a change of business and unfortunately, honda customers are the ones that end up getting the shaft. There are probably other companies that have the same issue too.

I have an iPod and so does my wife (she has an 1G 8GB Touch and 5G 30GB Video, I have a 2G 4GB nano) but I have a Flash Drive in the Glove Box (8GB or 32GB depending on which flash drive I use) with much or all of my music. (well, all but the stuff we purchased from iTunes - we now shop mp3's at Amazon). One solution is to buy a Flash drive or older iPod (if you have alot of iTunes purchased music) for the car. Maybe an iPod Touch or Nano with a cracked screen where you don't have to worry about leaving it out in the cold. You can still Sync it to get the latest music into the car but you'll have your other iPod with you while on the road, in flight, or at home.

Unfortunately, in most cases when dealing with 3rd party electronics, it's not Honda's fault for the MP3 player manufacturer making changes to their firmware.

I have an Archos 605wifi MID that was Youtube compatible... until youtube upgraded to a newer version of flash (9). Archos scrambled to support flash 9 Video for Youtube... Then YouTube upgraded to 10.. and it's all over for Archos. They moved on to bigger and better projects. Whose fault is it?

~SB

Old 01-09-2010, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Quoted from the driver's manual, page 130.

Ipod 5G - ver. 1.2 or more
Ipod classic - ver 1.0 or more
Ipod nano - ver 1.2 or more
Ipod nano 2nd generation - ver 1.1.2 or more
Ipod nano 3rd generation - ver 1.0 or more
Ipod touch - ver 1.1.1 or more
Iphone - ver 1.1.1 or more.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all the response.

Since it was working and I tried it with an older Ipod, it is possible that I somehow updated the iPod with new software and that broke it.

Is there anyway to go back to older version on my iPode?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Unless you have a lot of protected music, just copy your iTunes library to a USB flash drive. Cheap, and if someone decides to steal it, you aren't out much. This frees up you pod for other uses. A flash drive also takes up less space in the glove compartment.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 PM
That would be a viable solution if I could export my playlists since that's how I listen to everything.

How do I do that?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
I'm glad I bought my Sony Walkman when I was in the market for MP3 players....^.^

Sorry about your luck dude...

Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Red: I'm happy that your Sony Walkman is working.

I'm trying to make this thread solution oriented by finding a viable way that will either allow my iPod to work or a low cost alternative that utilizes the playlist from my iPod.

I really appreciate all the responses that have helped narrow it down or offer solutions in that direction. I am still hopeful.

I have seen playlist index(s) exported from an iPod and I'm wondering if the fit radio will recognize those?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Have you had a chance to try it in another Fit? It may be an issue honda can deal with IF it does work in another fit. If not, then I'd go with one of the previous solutions I mentioned above or hop on some iPod Forums to look about downgrading firmware.

Good luck and let us know.

~SB

Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I find it odd that it worked, and then it didn't.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Try reseting iPod. " first toggling the hold switch on and off and then simultaneously pressing the select (center) and menu buttons for approximately 5-10 seconds."