2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New Console/armrest

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 AM
New Console/armrest

After 4 months with a much cheaper armrest that was loose constantly, I broke down and got the Honda armrest. Man what a difference ! The Honda one which should come standard anyway, is way sturdy and mor comfortable and me and my passenger have a place to rest their arm. Anyone considering one of these should look hard at what you are getting. You generally get what you pay for. Also the video on College Hills Honda's web site on how to install was perfect. I'll post pics later.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Did you originally have the Zeta armrest? I was looking into that because I don't think I could pull off the install of the Honda armrest on my own.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Old 01-08-2010, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VaMPKiSS1
Did you originally have the Zeta armrest? I was looking into that because I don't think I could pull off the install of the Honda armrest on my own.
Installing the OEM armrest is not rocket science, and requires only a few basic hand tools. The instructions that are available online are very clear and thorough. The hardest part of the install is probably removing the plastic center console plastic (it may take quite a tug to get it loose).

Old 01-08-2010, 08:00 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
thats why i recommend the oem arm rest.
well worth every penny.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Wish I had the money. Sucks that we have to pay an additional $200 for an armrest though... As nice as it is.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Wish I had the money. Sucks that we have to pay an additional $200 for an armrest though... As nice as it is.
I'll sell you one for $50+SH if you want..?
It's not the Zeta but another one that was on ebay. It's quite nice, leather covered over board with a red stripe on top, and it pushes down between the front seats and will not move around on you in the slightest! It also does not interfere with the hand brake, or any movement of the front seats or their backs, and is large enough to hold 8 or 9 CDs! (It does not fold up tho, but is very easy to remove and put back in whenever you want..)

I bought it for $89+SH, thinking I would like a nice armrest, but soon discovered that I like my '10 AT Base Fit better w/o any armrest at all as I like easier arm access to the rear where my dog sits, with her head in between the front seat gap. -Even the OEM one wouldn't give me this, as even folded up it blocks that space..!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Also posted in second gen Fit items for sale section...

I've now also posted this armrest in the Second Gen Fit Items For Sale section, with a bit more details...
Thank ye,

Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm under the impression that this only fits on ATs... Is there an option for the MTs?

Old 01-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by Bowkr
I'm under the impression that this only fits on ATs... Is there an option for the MTs?
It fits both. Honda just says it only fits AT's for liability purposes, they say it gets in the way of shifting. Which is BS. I cant shift for crap with that stock armrest in the way anyways.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Cool, I think I will definitely go for this. Ordering now

Installing the OEM armrest is not rocket science, and requires only a few basic hand tools.
Even for someone relatively inexperienced in these matters?

Old 01-10-2010, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Don't know if this is an issue for you guys but don't you think the armrest is reallllly high? Maybe im just short? I want to get the armrest but i dont want it if it is the same height as the regular one

Old 01-10-2010, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bowkr
Cool, I think I will definitely go for this. Ordering now

Even for someone relatively inexperienced in these matters?
I wouldn't want to do the installation outdoors in Rochester in January. Print out the instructions (available as a PDF), study them carefully, and make sure you have all necessary tools before you start -- the installation instructions list all necessary tools, although you don't need a torque wrench. The instructions are typically Honda, very clearly written and well-illustrated.

The smaller holes that you have to cut need to be precise both as to diameter and location (because the center arm rest uses them for alignment); the larger holes are more forgiving of location, but diameter is important, because rubber plugs have to fit into them. Removing the center console was the hardest part for me, as it requires a pretty good pull from the rear (sit in the rear seat, to get good leverage). Do NOT pull on the front sides of the console, as this won't help loosen it, and can crack the plastic (DAMHIK). Putting the center console back in place is a little awkward because the armrest weighs quite a bit, and makes it awkward to maneuver around the shifter, but it will eventually slip right into place. MT may be slightly easier than AT.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Old 01-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Cap
5 Year Member
when i bought my car, i had them install the honda armrest like polokid's. i recommend it also. the dealer commented to me that it was the first one they had done on any of their fits (model had been out for well over a year at the time of my purchase)! after seeing it installed, he commented that they should make it standard on all models.

for anyone interested, there is a youtube vid of the complete installation:

YouTube - Episode #154 - 2nd Generation Honda Fit Armrest Installation

Last edited by Cap; 01-11-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Additional $200? The armrest costs like $179 online doesn't it? It's like $200 shipped.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fmcfad01
Additional $200? The armrest costs like $179 online doesn't it? It's like $200 shipped.

...isn't he still paying $200?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Polokid...now all you need are some Clazzios!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:47 PM
dgs
When I bought my Fit one of the accessories that was supposed to be installed was the armrest. The sales manager wrote down every accessory I wanted (listed in my sig) and forgot to get the armrest. So the sales manager said since he forgot about the armrest, if/when I purchased it on my own the dealership would provide free installation as a way to make it up to me.

So I just bought the armrest recently and took them up on their offer. I watched the accessory installer put the armrest in and he followed the Honda instructions the way any one would have to. They hardly ever install them for some reason he told me, so it's not like he can do it by memory. It was not difficult at all and if I had to pay for installation I would have done it on my own. But I'm pretty handy and enjoy fixing things on my own, whether it be light plumbing issues, electrical issues, phone issues, computer issues, auto repair etc. I only pay for repairs when the repair issue is way out of my league, or if special tools are required I don't own (such as a wheel alignment).

Anyway, like the OP, I love the thing and really do feel it should have been on there from the factory. It offers some much needed storage and is much more comfortable than the stock armrest. Plus it's nicer to look at. I waited too long to buy it.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
+1 for the quality and functionality of the Honda center armrest console... I *love* that you can slide it so far forward- I can steer with my right elbow so comfortably on the pillow...

Quick Reply: New Console/armrest