2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Injen Intake: Install as a CAI or a Short Ram? Suggestions & thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Injen Intake: Install as a CAI or a Short Ram? Suggestions & thoughts

So...I got the Injen intake for my GE from my wife for Xmas. The question is which way or how should I be running it? I installed it as a CAI with all the proper parts but you can also hook it up as a Short Ram intake, you just take out the hose that routes the filter below the headlight into the bumper cavity and hook the filter up to the 90 degree bend that holds the sensor. Currently my gas mileage has decreased having it installed as a CAI. Is anyone out there running a Short Ram and if I change it will I lose performance, get better gas mileage, etc.? Any input would be greatly appreciated?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm currently running fujita f5 SRI. If your thinking of better fuel economy i would just stay with stock and probably get like aftermarket drop in filter like k&n. but if your going for performance your better off going the whole works, turbo or supercharger with headers etc...

Last edited by Fitamusprime; 01-06-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 AM
I'm not really interested in extreme performance (don't really see the point for the money on a fit). I'm just looking for a couple of easy performance mods to maybe open it up a little, gain a couple of HP and get a little better fuel economy. I'm no car expert, but I was under the impression that intakes and maybe a high flow exhaust would increase fuel economy a bit, as long as you kept your driving habits the same. Am I wrong?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:11 AM
09blackfit, I'm with you!!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 AM
09Blackfit:
Depends on how the car is set up Air/Fuel ratio wise. Sometimes you might gain hp from and intake but also burns off more fuel in the process which in turn gives you less mpg sometimes. Yes generally colder air is better for your engine. Makes it run better but I've seen intakes gain 1 mpg and lose 1 mpg depending on the car. That's nothing to get excited about since a slightly deflated tire will vary your mpg by that much. IMO for over $200 intakes aren't really worth it in my eye from a mpg standpoint for the Fit. That's why I just got a K&N drop in to help the engine breathe a little better but for a low cost. On a little econo box engine we have your not going to see much gain in hp or mpg from any intake. Bigger the engine and better it breathes is where the biggest gains occur.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 01-07-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:33 PM
good input. I also like the intake for the sporty sounds it produces.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by 09blackfit
good input. I also like the intake for the sporty sounds it produces.

lololol maybe you like the sound/feel so much that you're pushing your car harder thus burning more fuel :P

Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by 1FiTpINOY
lololol maybe you like the sound/feel so much that you're pushing your car harder thus burning more fuel :P
This is exactly what I thought would happen before I installed the intake. Unfortunately not though. I love the sound but I've made a conscious effort to drive a little more conservatively in order to save fuel.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
I have the same Injen intake that you have. Well, when I first got it, I installed it as a CAI for the end peak power, but to tell you the truth, my mpg stayed the same except for those times that I
Last month I switched to the SRI because I was afraid of water getting in my engine due to the bad weather here in SD. Only difference was the sound that the SRI made was louder than the CAI. You hear more of it 3k-4k rpm
The good thing about it is the pick up is slightly better. As for the mpg, it's stayed the same for me. I got about 33 mpg on both CAI and SRI. I guess it just depends on how you drive your car.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Intakes on economy cars don't make a whole lot of difference .. Had a cold air intake on my integra, drove through what I thought was a small puddle and nearly totalled my car.. I guess it acts as a straw lol.. Where I live flooding occurs way too often so I'll never buy another CAI.. I'll stick with the short rams.. It's pretty much all for the sound when it comes to the fit.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
if i could take it back i would never buy a cold air intake.. its loud. the stock box is sooo silent.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:50 AM
It doesn't flood much here so I'm not extremely worried, but better safe than sorry. I might switch to the SRI setup and see what happens. I was getting some drain in MPGs prior to installing the Injen because of my roof rack, but for some reason it has dropped a bit more. I guess it just comes down to how I drive the car. I try to baby it or it at least it seems like I do.

I will probably invest in a throttle controller to aid me in gaining a little of my MPG back. Maybe that a high flow exhaust.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 PM
09blackfit..It's funny on a Honda. On my Solstice, and others who have them, CAI's increase mileage. On other Hondas that I have put a CAI on, it decreased mileage. That said, when you are getting 37 mpg, a couple less doesn't matter, and they shure look good when you open the hood. I'd go for the full CAI, looks better. Unless you get radical, any increase in performance on a Fit isn't noticeable.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Ill make this a bump since Im pissed. I order a injen cai for my 09, Talk to the guy and its arrives the next day. I rip off the oem bumper and all that shit, get the inatek out, FAWK its tight, (remove battery for much easier install). I break a few plastic clips top and bottom, no biggie new ones from honda BUT

I open the box, go to install it to find they sent me a fuckin 07 fit cai. WTF, I was pissed. Still am lol.

Ok, when I get my 09, ill give my true review

Old 03-11-2010, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
^^ Lol. IMO SRI is better for the throttle response. I have the Injen CAI/SRI too. Whatever floats your boat though.

Hope they send the right one soon! GROWL

Old 03-11-2010, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
^^ Lol. IMO SRI is better for the throttle response. I have the Injen CAI/SRI too. Whatever floats your boat though.

Hope they send the right one soon! GROWL
You guys up in Ottawa. Didn`t even open the box before you dismantled the car Tsk Tsk.

I sort of think it is a waste of money for a CAI. It wouldn`t do much for me as I don`t drive the s*** out of mine. I am wasting enuf getting an HKS axleback, which should be in today or tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 09blackfit
... Currently my gas mileage has decreased having it installed as a CAI. Is anyone out there running a Short Ram and if I change it will I lose performance, get better gas mileage, etc.? Any input would be greatly appreciated?
There are those on this forum (Sid 6.7, for example) and elsewhere who say if either of the two give better gas mileage then it would be the SRI.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...am-intake.html (don't let the avatar scare the crap out of you!)

I think I remembered him saying he gained about 7 mpg after installing the SRI... but I didn't read the post/DIY again.

I have no personal experience, but when my Fit comes in (supposedly by Monday of next week at the latest... Yayyyyyyy! ) I'm seriously thinking about trying a SRI.

Hey, how much hassle is it to try it? You already have the means in which to do both. Give it a try!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
You guys up in Ottawa. Didn`t even open the box before you dismantled the car Tsk Tsk.

I sort of think it is a waste of money for a CAI. It wouldn`t do much for me as I don`t drive the s*** out of mine. I am wasting enuf getting an HKS axleback, which should be in today or tomorrow.

I just think that when I specify 09+ cai injen they will send it to me and not assume 07 will fit. WTF. New one should be here in 1.5 weeks. Still pissy lol!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 AM
There were several sites out there when I was shopping around for my 09 injen intake that specified 07 and up honda fits and there were others that sold one for the 07-08 and 09+. Needless to say, this is very deceiving to some. Others had images of the 09+ and specified it fit the 07-08 and vise versa.

I'm very happy with mine. Because I had to remove the bumper, and take out the battery to install the CAI version of the Injen I haven't found the time to take it apart and try out the SRI version. My mileage didn't increase or decrease really but it definitely adds a bit of torque that I can feel. Overall this is a mod I think is worth the money.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:20 PM
I was randomly rereading through this and noticed something in particular. You should try disconnecting your negative terminal from the battery and leave it off for like 3 minutes. I think this helps the computer to realize something is different in the engine setup.

I just did my friends 07 civic, we bought a Fujita short ram. It ran awkward at first cuz it seemed to be hesitating whenever he accelerated fast. But then we found that the computer sensor is still setup for stock, so we disconnected the battery for about 3 minutes and man, his engine opened up more lol

I honestly dont have any experience with electricals and stuff, but just want to put out there what worked for me :P

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Injen Intake: Install as a CAI or a Short Ram? Suggestions & thoughts