2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

iPod question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
iPod question

My wife surprised me with an iPod Nano tonight, so it looks like I'll be joining the ranks of you younger "technologically advanced" people. I am currently uploading my CD's (of when music was really music) to my iTunes library and it got me to thinking. When the iPod is plugged into the PC, the battery is charging but what about when hooked up to our USB connection in our Fits?

Secondly, if I am listening to my iPod and turn the car off.....would the iPod still be charging or do I need to make it a point to power down the iPod?

And for you curious folks, REAL music was in the late 70's and early to mid 80's big hair bands!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
My wife surprised me with an iPod Nano tonight, so it looks like I'll be joining the ranks of you younger "technologically advanced" people. I am currently uploading my CD's (of when music was really music) to my iTunes library and it got me to thinking. When the iPod is plugged into the PC, the battery is charging but what about when hooked up to our USB connection in our Fits?

Secondly, if I am listening to my iPod and turn the car off.....would the iPod still be charging or do I need to make it a point to power down the iPod?

And for you curious folks, REAL music was in the late 70's and early to mid 80's big hair bands!
Scary Hair, skin tight leather in awful colors.. on guys, those were the days.

The USB port will charge the iPod while the car is on. as soon as it turns off, the ipod senses the change and immediately powers off. Picks up right where you left off.. no issues there either.

you've got to list some albums...

~SB

Old 12-29-2009, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
i just leave mine in and never take it out.. theres no on and off for the ipod when its IN the fit just like when you have it not connected via USB..

for example when you finish listening to something you probly just hit the pause button right?

another thing, i just keep my ipod on hold, and i threw it the car. the console in the car controls the ipod when its plugged up to it. unless your using the AUX outlet.

another note is that mine froze one time while in the car while plugging it up. but it just required me to take out the ipod and shutting it off by holding middle and pause button for a while for it to have a hard shut off, then i just plugged it back in the car.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy

~SB
I will compose a list of what I have for you. But dang, I remember seeing RATT opening up for Billy Squire! I'm actually quite eclectic when it comes to music as I've also saw Dwight Yoakam opening up for Hank Williams Jr and also saw Prince when Sheila E was on drums. I've also seen Jose Feliciano and Celia Cruz. I also saw RUSH back in 1984 and all I can say is WOW....THAT was a show!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
oh... and speaking of "freezing", -1(F) here this morning taking the little one to Daycare. the Harman Kardon Drive+Play screen was awful (like when you press directly on any monochrome LCD display). The HK is designed for Ice Cold (or lower than) temps and the iPod is not so just remember when at home to remove the iPod overnight. during the day it should be fine as the car probably never gets too far below freezing but keep an eye out for those extra chilly days/nights.

How much Poison do you have?
~SB

Old 12-30-2009, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
It depends on how paranoid you are, but rather than risk theft (as well as losing use of my iPod for other purposes), I just copied my entire iTunes library (none of which is DRM protected) to an 8gb flash drive, which cost me about $15. I used some Velcro (hooky kind on the inside of the glove box; loopy on the flash drive) to secure it in place. The UI isn't quite as good with a flash drive, but I usually run in shuffle mode, so it really doesn't matter to me, as I rarely search for a particular album or track (too distracting while driving).

The only gotcha, if you are a Mac user, is that there is a shadow file that starts with a . for every file in your iTunes library, and the head unit of the Fit was reporting these as unplayable. I solved the problem by sticking the flash drive in a non-Mac computer, and deleting all 1000+ shadow files (not as laborious as it sounds). With Linux, you have to set a preference to display hidden files to do this; I believe they show by default in Windows.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy

~SB
Here ya go buddy....but just a small taste!...LOL

Ratt
Scorpions
White Snake
Krokus
ELO
Slaughter
KIX-S
Quiet Riot
Twisted Sister
Judas Priest
Warrant
White Lion
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Blondie
Styx
Chicago
Aldo Nova
Y & T
Van Halen (David Lee Roth of course!)
Heart
Poison

And more! How was that for a list so far?

Last edited by hogwylde; 12-30-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
Here ya go buddy....but just a small taste!...LOL

Ratt
Scorpions
White Snake
Krokus
ELO
Slaughter
KIX-S
Quiet Riot
Twisted Sister
Judas Priest
Warrant
White Lion
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Blondie
Styx
Chicago
Aldo Nova
Y & T
Van Halen (David Lee Rothe of course!)
Heart
Poison

And more! How was that for a list so far?
THAT... is a Hair Band List!

~SB

Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Eddie!
Eddie!
Eddie!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
I'm just sitting here playing with the iPod and checking out all it's features and I think it's down right amazing what this tiny thing can do. One of the many things I think is cool is how you can pause/rewind live radio broadcasts and tag songs that automatically go to your library to be purchased if you want it.

Amazing little device!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Don't forget to take video of your Fit with the build-in camera.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
With that vintage, you may have some LPs. If you haven't done so already, digitizing them to MP3 files requires only a turntable, a cable to your computer, and some sound editing software -- no need to buy a special MP3 turntable. And, trust me, you don't want to just digitize without editing out the pops and scratches from the vinyl. It can be a little time consuming, but the end result can sound better than the original.