2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The New Ricer.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
The New Ricer.

Times change.

'Old' Ricer:

New Ricer:

When is the last time you saw the top car? If you live near me the answer is one time in the last month. The old 'fast and furious' ricer has been scorned nearly out of existence. However my guess is that the following items will be considered 'ricer' within the next 2 years and be laughed at almost as badly as large spoilers and underglows are today:

Non OEM HID lights. Especially PNP Kits and color temperatures 6000k+.
Halos on anything but a bmw.
Noticeably lowered or slammed.
Audi Style LEDs (I have these lol, but still I think they are defintely going to be considered ricer work soon. They are LEDs in a headlight like OMG LEDS are advanced technology,yo!)
Any tailight mods. Especially smoked but also jdm/euro style.
Near any aftermarket rims with an aggresive style. esp, gunmetal, black, or chrome.
Tinted windows. esp, 20% or lower.
Adding any cosmetic feature usually on luxury car that does not come with your respective car.

Anyway that's what I'm putting my bet on.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Non OEM HID lights. Especially PNP Kits and color temperatures 6000k+. TRUE
Halos on anything but a bmw. Already is TRUE
Noticeably lowered or slammed. NOPE
Audi Style LEDs (I have these lol, but still I think they are defintely going to be considered ricer work soon. They are LEDs in a headlight like OMG LEDS are advanced technology,yo!) TRUE
Any tailight mods. Especially smoked but also jdm/euro style. NOPE
Near any aftermarket rims with an aggresive style. esp, gunmetal, black, or chrome. NOPE
Tinted windows. esp, 20% or lower. NOPE
Adding any cosmetic feature usually on luxury car that does not come with your respective car. NOPE

Merry Christmas!
added my opinions

Old 12-26-2009, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Cant see the 2nd picture...

Old 12-26-2009, 01:56 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
the new ricer= vw owners.
/thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
the new ricer= vw owners.
/thread
Definition of "Ricer": a pejorative describing Asian motorcycles and automobiles.

VW is German.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
Definition of "Ricer": a pejorative describing Asian motorcycles and automobiles.

VW is German.
so going by the definition above, a stock Acura RL is a ricer but a Jetta With a bookshelf wing, body kit, APC sticker on the rear windshield, and a coffee can for a muffler is not?

To me, rice is non-goal-oriented (or essentially; "just because you can") modification. Most visual (and non-performance audible) elements that take your eye away from the car as a whole are "ricer". Huge Wheels, Bookshelf wing, Fart-Can muffler, "euro" tail lights, underglow, etc... would all be ricer. Projector headlights, modest lip, sideskirts, lightweight wheels, sports exhaust, reputable intake, etc... is not ricer. Visual Elements such as Wheels, body kit etc should look cohesive and each element shoudln't try to "one-up" another element.

~SB

Old 12-26-2009, 09:39 AM
shouldn't this go in other car related discussion?

Old 12-26-2009, 03:13 PM
I can't see the 2nd pic. The 1st pic is horrible though lol

Old 12-26-2009, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
so going by the definition above, a stock Acura RL is a ricer but a Jetta With a bookshelf wing, body kit, APC sticker on the rear windshield, and a coffee can for a muffler is not?

To me, rice is non-goal-oriented (or essentially; "just because you can") modification. Most visual (and non-performance audible) elements that take your eye away from the car as a whole are "ricer". Huge Wheels, Bookshelf wing, Fart-Can muffler, "euro" tail lights, underglow, etc... would all be ricer. Projector headlights, modest lip, sideskirts, lightweight wheels, sports exhaust, reputable intake, etc... is not ricer. Visual Elements such as Wheels, body kit etc should look cohesive and each element shoudln't try to "one-up" another element.

~SB
Asians=Rice
Germans=Sauerkraut and Wurst

Any car can have mods that are ridiculous. All I'm saying is the term "ricer" is for Asian not German.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
Asians=Rice
Germans=Sauerkraut and Wurst

Any car can have mods that are ridiculous. All I'm saying is the term "ricer" is for Asian not German.

does it matter? kelsodeez was just joking -_- ricer according to urbandictionary (lol) is "Ricer - Any person who adds tasteless modifications to a perfectly normal automobile."

Old 12-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Sad to tell you guys, but every major Honda trend was started by VWs...short of the whole 'JDM'.

JDM is definitely - to an extent - the new "rice". Mainly due to a lot of knockoff parts flooding the market and people buying things because they "look" JDM. I still love rare non USDM market parts, but buying smoked "JDM" headlights is dumb.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Rice has nothing to do with asians. Rice = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
LOL rice definitely pertains to any "race" of car. Just cuz your car isnt Japanese or Korean doesnt mean it cant be ricer. I've seen too many riced out Mustangs, VWs, E30/E46 bmws, and now even E90 bimmers riced out. Honestly i think it's easier to make euro cars look rice or overdone, a lot of aftermarket parts for european cars are very garish and "overstyled" if you will.
ACS E46 - Google Images
of course that M3 rear looks OUTSTANDING but look at the front of the Silver sedan... just hideous.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:11 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
no no no, rice has taken on a whole new meaning. sure, its what hicks used to call people with asian cars (originated from the term "rice burner") back in the day, but now it is used a completely different way and has nothing to do with the race of the car or driver. hell, ive seen a ricer in a ferrari. he wasnt asian.

also, trends on hondas were not started by vw. the fanboy people with poked out/raked wheels on their fwd cars, roof racks with no intention of driving your car in the snow, and being so low that your lip kicks pebbles onto your front windshield. those people stole the styles from vw's but for the most part, the style of hondas is from styles in japan, then the japanese take the american style of honda and infuse it with their style, then we copy that and it goes on forever. some styles are here to stay, other styles are fleeting and wont stand the test of time.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
I hardly ever see Asians driving lowered cars with mufflers anymore. I only see Mexicans driving those now. I think that the "JDM VIP" style is the new rice.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I think that the "JDM VIP" style is the new rice.
Lol I agree. I think that style is nasty

Old 12-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Chrome wheels=ricer? I don't think so!! (I used to cruise Woodward Ave in the 60's. There were no Japanese cars there, then, and chrome wheels were everywhere.) American as anything can be. Especially 5 spokers. The 100 spokers..well, they might be ricer.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Times change.

'Old' Ricer:

New Ricer:

When is the last time you saw the top car? If you live near me the answer is one time in the last month. The old 'fast and furious' ricer has been scorned nearly out of existence. However my guess is that the following items will be considered 'ricer' within the next 2 years and be laughed at almost as badly as large spoilers and underglows are today:

Non OEM HID lights. Especially PNP Kits and color temperatures 6000k+.
Halos on anything but a bmw.
Noticeably lowered or slammed.
Audi Style LEDs (I have these lol, but still I think they are defintely going to be considered ricer work soon. They are LEDs in a headlight like OMG LEDS are advanced technology,yo!)
Any tailight mods. Especially smoked but also jdm/euro style.
Near any aftermarket rims with an aggresive style. esp, gunmetal, black, or chrome.
Tinted windows. esp, 20% or lower.
Adding any cosmetic feature usually on luxury car that does not come with your respective car.

Merry Christmas!
fixed the 2nd pic

Old 12-28-2009, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
fixed the 2nd pic
Hey Thanks! nice work there.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
Chrome wheels=ricer? I don't think so!! (I used to cruise Woodward Ave in the 60's. There were no Japanese cars there, then, and chrome wheels were everywhere.) American as anything can be. Especially 5 spokers. The 100 spokers..well, they might be ricer.
I guess it would just depend on the size and the offset of the rims.

This is obvously not rice:

Check out those sexy drum breaks. If they can stop THAT I'm sure they are plenty fine for the fit.

Apparently this is refered to as a 'scraper' Which is a popular style in some urban areas. Disqusting. Even a giant plywood spoiler wouldn't hurt your performance and mpg like those rims.

I have to say looking at this picture makes me wonder what people in japan think of american vehicles and american modification.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 12-28-2009 at 12:31 AM.

Quick Reply: The New Ricer.