2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The New Ricer.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Probably not related, but in the motorcycle community a RICE burner was what the Harley guys called the Japanese bikes when they started to infiltrate the American market. It was not meant as a compliment.

These days it has been adopted by the Japanese sport bike community as their own, though it has changed to Rice Rocket.

Barb

Old 12-28-2009, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
i dont see much difference between top and bottom pic...style is somewhat the same. jus one happens to be more aggressively modded.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't think that modifications to a car necessarily make "rice.". The modifications must be tasteless, of questionable functionality, and typically applied to a car which is relatively mundane, I.e. a econobox or grocery-getter. "tasteless," "questionable," and "relatively mundane" leave considerable room for subjectivity.

Nice wheels and exhaust on a Mustang or Supra? They'll hardly raise an eyebrow.

Slap a huge wing for downforce on the undriven 19" wheels of a Toyota Echo or Civic cx hatchback, with its gaping trombone muffler and faux racing-sponsor stickers for which you have received no funding, and you'll be a laughingstock. If you're like me, you probably wouldn't care too much about whether you car impresses others; if course, you probably wouldn't dump you spare cash into bondo, plastic, and stickers either!

It's not form over function or function over form. It's form masquerading as function.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
Slap a huge wing for downforce on the undriven 19" wheels of a Toyota Echo or Civic cx hatchback, with its gaping trombone muffler and faux racing-sponsor stickers for which you have received no funding, and you'll be a laughingstock. If you're like me, you probably wouldn't care too much about whether you car impresses others; if course, you probably wouldn't dump you spare cash into bondo, plastic, and stickers either!

It's not form over function or function over form. It's form masquerading as function.
Wait... I'm confused. The above isn't what I heard over at Cardomain. ... You OBviously don't get it.

Yo: check my ride out Yo.

~SB

Old 12-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
heeeeeeeeeeeere we go again, the age old debate of what is or isn't rice

Old 12-28-2009, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I hardly ever see Asians driving lowered cars with mufflers anymore. I only see Mexicans driving those now. I think that the "JDM VIP" style is the new rice.
lol at Mexicans. So true. At least in California.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Anything that is on your car that does nothing more cosmetically change the appearance is nothing more than a passing fad that will be laughed at in the future.... Mexican Americans have been into low riders for over 40 years but for everyone else it is just a passing fad that will fall by the way side just like custom tracks and vans.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Today I saw a lowered honda jazz with volk wheels, huge exhaust, brembo brakes, rs badges and full set of spoilers. So I went to check out if it was manual or automatic. I saw it was an automatic and I just thought to myself what a waste...

The car will still be an econbox especially with an automatic.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
To anyone that was into performance vehicles anything from Japan was called a ricer even after Japanese motorcycles were out running and or out lasting machines with twice the engine displacement.... There has always been people that start and follow styling fads and also there are those that favor functional modifications that improve the performance of their ride..... Performance never goes out of style.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:54 AM
In Australia, we have city rice, and country rice.

City rice is as you would expect. Country rice looks like this:

What you can't see are the bumper stickers: "I got ( insert novel term for coitus here)ed at the (small country town) B&S"

Old 12-30-2009, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
I have a Japanese made tractor made by Iseki.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have a Japanese made tractor made by Iseki.
SLAM that Sh!t yo.

A little part of me just died after typing that. Oh well

~SB

Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
The simplest way to think of the new ricer is that they basically include a large majority of wannabe racers. For instance, a real race car wouldn't bother with altezza tail lights, 19 inch wheels (that's too big to be ideal for racing), or an E-bay wing just for the looks. A lot of times people automatically point out a car with a wing spoiler and exhaust as a ricer, when in fact it may be a real track car. After seeing lots of "real" cars vs. ricers, you'll learn how to differentiate between the two instantly.

There is also a common misconception of a rear wing spoiler on a FWD car, that is mainly based off of drag racers. They do not understand that on the track (a REAL race track with many corners), you may need extra rear traction no matter what platform the car is. And a lot of the higher end exhaust systems are NOT rice at all, even though they may look a bit like the cheap E-bay knockoffs. How can you argue with a lighter, better built, and better sounding exhaust, that nets you more power and throttle response? There's nothing wrong with them! But if you do nothing but change the muffler with some cheap fart can for that awful sound, then that's rice/wannabe.

In short, the ricers/wannabes make the "real" cars look bad sometimes, as your average Joe Schmoe will group them all together as one... ricers. Don't get me wrong though, there are certain cosmetic mods that are perfectly fine as long as you don't try to look like a race car. There's nothing wrong with making the car look the way you want it to look, to a certain extent of course. Just don't be one of those punk street racers that do nothing but talk crap all day when they haven't even bothered trying to get on a race track yet. They are also the new ricers.

Last edited by whitefitsport; 12-30-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whitefitsport
The simplest way to think of the new ricer is that they basically include a large majority of wannabe racers. For instance, a real race car wouldn't bother with altezza tail lights, 19 inch wheels (that's too big to be ideal for racing), or an E-bay wing just for the looks. A lot of times people automatically point out a car with a wing spoiler and exhaust as a ricer, when in fact it may be a real track car. After seeing lots of "real" cars vs. ricers, you'll learn how to differentiate between the two instantly.

There is also a common misconception of a rear wing spoiler on a FWD car, that is mainly based off of drag racers. They do not understand that on the track (a REAL race track with many corners), you may need extra rear traction no matter what platform the car is. And a lot of the higher end exhaust systems are NOT rice at all, even though they may look a bit like the cheap E-bay knockoffs. How can you argue with a lighter, better built, and better sounding exhaust, that nets you more power and throttle response? There's nothing wrong with them! But if you do nothing but change the muffler with some cheap fart can for that awful sound, then that's rice/wannabe.

In short, the ricers/wannabes make the "real" cars look bad sometimes, as your average Joe Schmoe will group them all together as one... ricers. Don't get me wrong though, there are certain cosmetic mods that are perfectly fine as long as you don't try to look like a race car. There's nothing wrong with making the car look the way you want it to look, to a certain extent of course. Just don't be one of those punk street racers that does nothing but talk crap all day when they haven't even bothered trying to get on a race track yet. They are also the new ricers.
Then a GMC Van with loud exhaust, big wheels, and aerodynamic body parts is a ricer?.... I was told that my car looked ricer because it isn't dropped, I have Mugen style vent visors, DARK tinted windows and black Enkei RPF1 wheels with stock sized tires..... I have been categorized as being ricer because I have a 2 1/2" axle back with a glass pack muffler that sounds like what others have spent 3 times the money for..... I have functional louvers that lowers the temperature under my hood so my Kraft Werks Super Charger will make more power and my wiring, hoses, belt and battery will last longer, and that has been suggested as being rice by people that have never seen it....I am happy that there's nothing wrong with making the car look the way you want it to look, to a certain extent.... I really don't care how my car looks as long as it meets my needs and functions the way I want it to.... Styling gimmicks are a product of marketers that put a pricey label on shiny stuff and convince insecure people that they will get approval from other insecure people if they buy their stuff.....Neiman Marcus has been doing the same thing for almost a century..... I will admit to laughing at some of the poor kids with the outrageous body kits, power robbing wheels and tires and crappy sounding exhaust systems.... I can remember that a lot of the Fit owners that posted here back in 2006 when I first got my Fit were into a lot of the same thing and lots of them that are still here have changed the look of there cars numerous times as a means of seeking approval or recognition for having something that looks different..... If you want to be different on fitfreak just drive a perfectly stock looking car and let everyone tell you how it would look better if you went out and spent a ton of money to make it look like all of he others that show up in pictures here.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Then a GMC Van with loud exhaust, big wheels, and aerodynamic body parts is a ricer?.... I was told that my car looked ricer because it isn't dropped, I have Mugen style vent visors, DARK tinted windows and black Enkei RPF1 wheels with stock sized tires..... I have been categorized as being ricer because I have a 2 1/2" axle back with a glass pack muffler that sounds like what others have spent 3 times the money for..... I have functional louvers that lowers the temperature under my hood so my Kraft Werks Super Charger will make more power and my wiring, hoses, belt and battery will last longer, and that has been suggested as being rice by people that have never seen it....I am happy that there's nothing wrong with making the car look the way you want it to look, to a certain extent.... I really don't care how my car looks as long as it meets my needs and functions the way I want it to.... Styling gimmicks are a product of marketers that put a pricey label on shiny stuff and convince insecure people that they will get approval from other insecure people if they buy their stuff.....Neiman Marcus has been doing the same thing for almost a century..... I will admit to laughing at some of the poor kids with the outrageous body kits, power robbing wheels and tires and crappy sounding exhaust systems.... I can remember that a lot of the Fit owners that posted here back in 2006 when I first got my Fit were into a lot of the same thing and lots of them that are still here have changed the look of there cars numerous times as a means of seeking approval or recognition for having something that looks different..... If you want to be different on fitfreak just drive a perfectly stock looking car and let everyone tell you how it would look better if you went out and spent a ton of money to make it look like all of he others that show up in pictures here.
Post pictures. Please.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Post pictures. Please.
Ask and ye shall receive

JK... Couldn't resist.

~SB

Old 01-04-2010, 02:36 AM
I feel that what really defines the difference between rice and non-rice is the money invested on a part and its functionality. for example, cherry bomb exhaust on a honda = rice versus installing a higher priced high performance brand with good performance gains.Although, The average person can't tell the difference between the two because to them they both still sound like ricey fart cans.
Right now, i drive an e46 bmw 323i which i will be replacing with a fit, and i see people "rice" out bimmers with altezza tailights from ebay or some generic chrome rims and they completely compromise the prestige and flow of their BMW and it makes me question why didn't you just buy a civic and rice that out instead like all the others. But the overall point is that i can't wait to have my own fit!!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
it's really about personal preference. what rice for others may not be rice for you. and definitely asians is not equal to rice. JDM then should be rice if that would be the case? not.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
There is no way that spending outrageous prices for JDM after market is going to make a Honda fit an elegant car.... They are marketing geniuses that have been creating fad products for more years than I can remember..... Just go look at some of the older threads here and look at all of the Fits owned by the JDM whores are constantly buying the latest great products and selling the product they purchased because months before it was the greatest thing going....Many of them that have gotten better jobs or trust funds have moved on to doing the same thing with more costly cars that have more appeal to the after market suppliers and can easily be dressed up with the latest fashions from Japan.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
I observed something interesting this weekend. I went on a trip to southern (rural) Illinois. Whilst on the highway I noticed something interesting. No HID kits as far as I could tell and if there were they did a damn good job shielding them or they did atrue retrofit. Only a very few vehicles had them and almost all of them I could tell where oem. So here I was in southern Illinois wondering to myself: "These are people who would actually benefit from the added light output, since all of the streets are dark and road conditions are much poorer, yet everyone uses OEM, probaly because OEM still puts out plenty of light and at the right color temperature".

Today, on the way back home, all the glaring HID kits didn't show up untill I hit the big cities where there are city lights keeping the roads plenty bright anyway and HIDs dont provide a huge benefit. It made me realize that all this talk of added light output to see better is probably just a lie made up to cover the real truth which is that 90% of these people just want to stand out and 'be cool'. There really isn't anything wrong with standing out. Just use a giant spoiler or giant rims or a neon paint job instead of lights that blind me.

Quick Reply: The New Ricer.