2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What's it like in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 04:05 PM
What's it like in the snow

So, what's the base fit, with the stock all season radials, like to drive in the snow? I'm hoping to get this winter on the stock rubber and then buy a set of alloy wheels at some point down the road. The steel wheels will then get some snow tires.

In the meantime, is this a good idea, or am I in for a surprise.

Barb

Old 12-25-2009, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
I was more concerned with how low the Fit sits as opposed to how she handles the snow. I bought the car in August and of course it only snowed once this winter and only got a couple of inches. So after all that babble......I have yet to see what she can do in heavy snow!

Old 12-25-2009, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
As a Canadian, you must already know. We can get real nasty conditions and winter tires offers added traction and breaking power. When it's nasty, you want everything in your favor. A slide an bump costs way more than the savings of a delay in winter tire purchase. The possibility of avoiding a serious accident makes it even that much more important

Don't delay. get them now!

You knew someone was going to tell you.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:23 PM
In the recent snowfall here in the NE my Fit Sport with 15" steelies and 195 Blizzak WS-50's had no issues. Getting going on some slick spots was sometimes and issue on slush - but no problem on packed snow or fresh powder. Steering is nice, but the brakes do get a bit touchy and the car likes to rotate, being that it is so short. Overall though with snows on it handles like a champ. I had a lowered 95' Civic with Yoko IceGuards which handled 3" of fresh snow without issue - and an 04' Sentra with LM-22's which got me up a hill that stopped CRVs and RAV4s.

On all seasons....good luck.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
it slid on ice

Old 12-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
As a Canadian, you must already know. We can get real nasty conditions and winter tires offers added traction and breaking power. When it's nasty, you want everything in your favor. A slide an bump costs way more than the savings of a delay in winter tire purchase. The possibility of avoiding a serious accident makes it even that much more important

Don't delay. get them now!

You knew someone was going to tell you.
Well of course someone would say it!

Actually, the thing is, I literally just bought the car and the budget is a little beat up right now. I was hoping that I might be able to get one winter out of the all seasons. They are, after all, brand new.

Having grown up and spent many years in the snow belt around Georgian Bay, snow tires have become a habit and will definitely be in my future, unless I find the Fit needs them now. Hence my question regarding the experience of others.

Barb

Old 12-25-2009, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Brand new all season tires aren't even as good as worn winter tires in winter. They use a different rubber compound.

How's your beat up budget going to be after an accident? Do you really want to risk it with your nice new car?

I'm trying to give you wise advice. Safety shouldn't be skimped on.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
My experience last week in a major blizzrd-

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-blizzard.html

Try and stay off the roads when it's really bad, drive sensibly not like a moron, and the stock dunlops can get you through. They got me though, and this was a BAD storm.

Dan

Old 12-25-2009, 11:27 PM
I couldn't agree more with Shockwave. Just drive sensibly. My story from the other day just proves how much better it is to drive cautiously in a small car than aggressively in a big 4x4 truck.

Driving home from work, a 2 lane road merged into a 1 lane road. Well a big white 4x4 was in my blindspot behind me and punched it hard to get in front of me. Well, he gets in front of me and I brake a little bit and the show then began. He swerved from side to side so I braked a little just in case. Next thing ya know his tires grip and over the curb into the steep ditch he goes! I looked as I drove past, but didn't stop. Truck didnt roll-over or anything, but with that steep decline/incline on the side of the road I'm sure he was stuck for a while. Young punk driver needs to control his need for speed in the snow, slush, and ice. Funny to say, considering I'm only 24.

Moral of the story: Be cautious and plan for plenty of more time to get places.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Barb,

I have 09 Sport manual that had stock Dunlops during the big east coast storm last week. I did fine in up to 5" of dry powder snow. In places I could hear snow dragging on the car bottom. Any deeper and I think I would have been sunk. Few days later when traffic hammered the snow into ice on the roads I did have minor trouble stopping & starting,but other cars did too. Since when it snows at my work place,I have to be there so I opted for Michelin Ice X2's, 195/55/16 on stock alloys. Most of the snow is gone now,so I can't report on the Ice X2's on deep snow,but can report they are awesome on refrozen spots,giving far greater traction then stock Dunlops,but then they should since that is their design.

Like others have said,slow down,add extra time,keep good distance from other cars and the Fit will pull you through. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the usually crappy OEM tires were in winter driving.

BTW I have seen some "snow hairs" spinning their over priced SUV's in the gutters too,so it's just not the younger drivers. My Dad always said if you need 4 wheels to drive in snow,you can't drive ,period.

PaFitter

Old 12-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Honestly.. with stock tires....

It's has the poorest winter driving traction of any car I have owned. Even my 06 Civic Hybrid was better in the snow with it's low rolling resistance hybrid tires.
Yesterday we received 15+ inches of snow. But with plowed roads and cautious driving I am getting along just fine. The tires spin out too easily (I am now starting off in 2nd gear) and the rear can fishtail even at low speeds.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
I live on the east side of Cleveland, which means lots of lake effect snow from Lake Erie. IMHO snow tires are the way to go if you can swing it. Ever since moving up here, I've always had snow tires in the winter and the amount of control/confidence they provide is night and day compared to all seasons. This will be the first winter with the Fit but I've already got a set of Artic Altimax tires with studs on her.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
On the last car (07 altima 3.5SE - Bridgestone Turanzas) and on this car, I'll go one winter on all Seasons then switch to winters. we get lots of packed snow here and the Turanzas were adequate on the Altima. Granted that they aren't as good as snows but they got me through the entire winter of driving (25 miles each way to work). Unlike the Long Island blizard that will turn/has turned to Ice, the further north (and inland) you get, the less the snow packed on roads changes to Ice and as long as you plan ahead and know the weather, All seasons should be just fine for one winter.

Oh, I'm in VT, not too far from Killington.

~SB

Old 12-26-2009, 03:53 PM
ya with most any car youll be fine unless your plowing snow... My 03 corolla handled a 20 inch plus snow storm but I cant say I didnt have to get out from time to time to clear things off of it...now my evo thats another story in the snow....

Old 12-27-2009, 02:13 AM
Are you guys using cable chains? I was thinking about going up to the snow at some point but I'm a little nervous... I wouldn't really want to buy a whole set of winter tires for a one day trip...

Old 12-27-2009, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Barb
Actually, the thing is, I literally just bought the car and the budget is a little beat up right now. I was hoping that I might be able to get one winter out of the all seasons. They are, after all, brand new.
Barb, I am in the same situation as you and with a newish base Fit. I plan on parking the car and using transit when it snows substantially. I don't want to risk even getting a scratch on my Fit! Toronto has a pretty good transit system. If you can, it might be safer for you to rely on it when there is too much snow and ice where you are.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SEAKAYAKER
It's has the poorest winter driving traction of any car I have owned. Even my 06 Civic Hybrid was better in the snow with it's low rolling resistance hybrid tires.
Yesterday we received 15+ inches of snow. But with plowed roads and cautious driving I am getting along just fine. The tires spin out too easily (I am now starting off in 2nd gear) and the rear can fishtail even at low speeds.

maybe some weight in the back would help the fishtailing a little. a few bags of sand would serve two purposes during a snowstorm.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
We had a bit of snow here this week in Minnesota and the Fit (09 sport) pulled through just fine. As with any winter driving, slow and sane is the answer. In mushy snow it had a little trouble but them so does my Maxima.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Brand new all-seasons should be tolerable, but you'd better be a good driver. The Fit is not great in snow, being a light, one-wheel drive FWD car, so it takes finesse at times. My half-worn stock tires barely got me home through 4" of snow last winter; the Blizzaks this year have already had me soldiering on through that much and worse, with nary a problem.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Are there any good snow tires (Blizzaks etc) now that fit the GE-8 stock rims?

Quick Reply: What's it like in the snow