2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What's it like in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
I float in the middle on this one... Is global warming real? Yeah, I think so. Are Humans the sole reason for it? No, of course not. Have human choices impacted global warming, Sure... but I'm the first to say I'm not sure by how much. Anyone who says we are too small and can't have an impact should watch Termites take on a house... But we, are more capable than termites. They only destroy what they touch, we create things such as cars, that can double, triple, etc... the destructive capability of a single individual. Along with this however, comes the ability to do completely the opposite... Good.

Oh and to stay on topic... We've had Practically no snow up here in VT. we had about 2' total so far this year. We're usually MUCH higher than that. still on the Stock tires. Will wait until next season to pick up snows.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 02-11-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Weathered yet another blizzard last night going to work right in the middle of it- both there and back. The Fit pulled me through. This time I was even more amazed at what I made it through. It was NOT fun, but I didn't get stuck! Stock dunlops and all. I was a moron for even going out though. I won't be doing that again- work be damned.

Dan

Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i had to go to work last night... just an hour after the snow stopped. 16 inches of freshly fallen snow. i took the new jersey turnpike, assuming it would be in decent shape. i was wrong. i really felt like i put the car thru the stresses of a space shuttle launch... incredible amount of bumpiness. but the car seems okay... wheel alignment still okay, never really came close to losing control in 30 mile round trip on local, county and state rds. stock tires.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
need a lift kit

the sport lip acts like an effin snow plow and i keep hearing ice scrape my under carriage. most horrifying sound ever. its fine in the snow, but just slow.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
Got some new rubber on yesterday after 40k. Ready to roll...ski trip to NC next week! We'll see some snow on that mountainous drive.....bring it on! Might roll out there with the hitch cargo carrier. Cheers!

Last edited by reako; 02-12-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Rochester, NY had a big snow storm last night.

I had to be on the road at 5:30AM. Had to navigate through 10-12" of unplowed snow for about 40 feet (garage to plowed part of driveway), through multiple sections like this on highway on/off ramps, and through 12-20" plow trails. The Fit dominated them all.

Saw a police car stuck. Big oil truck slipped off the highway. 5-10 cars stuck on on/off ramps.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:31 PM
If we're on this forum, for one reason or another we have embraced smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles. The only thing in the house with a six-cylinder engine anymore is my aging Jeep. Personally, I'm good with using less and polluting less, and being less dependent on foreign oil. But I'm also among the skeptics regarding climate change, or global warming, or global weirding, or whatever it is this week.
If those promoting the notion were altogether altruistic in their motives (and some certainly are), maybe I'd be less doubtful. But the most visible supporters have motives that are less than pure, whether it's Al Gore & Co. (political gain), academics (grants and funding) or big corporations (big bucks in 'green' contracts). Further, shouting that the 'science is settled' probably means it ain't. Again, I wouldn't be so doubtful if the Left hadn't used the same tactic on a number of other topics dear to their hearts.
Now, beyond that, I agree with the previous poster's suggestion of not being caught again without winter tires. A couple mild winters can lull you into a sense of complacency and the perfectly sensible desire not to spend the money on tires and rims. We almost talked ourselves into front wheel drive for the 'big' car this time around, but my bride liked her AWD VW, and we got another AWD wagon.
The good news is that we still got 30.5mpg at 80mph on our run to FL. Whatever the reasons-environmental concerns or gas prices-in many ways, things are better than ever for those who love the automobile.
After this winter, I'm hoping Honda imports the AWD version of the Fit.
Moon

Old 02-27-2010, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
I'm all with you on climate change skepticism. I'm so sick of seeing capital resources and energy wasted on 'going green'. The main reason I got the fit was because it was on the cover of consumer reports and it got more love than the Civic. If I had never seen the fit I would have bought a civic. Reliability was my number one concern and kept me from getting other cars. What other car brand lets you respond "it's a Honda!" to every question about how long it will last. Sure Toyota has almost the exact same relIability ratings
with other cars, but not the Yaris. I will still be driving the Fit while others are on their 3rd versa, yaris, aveo, sh*tbox.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 02-27-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
I got caught in yet another bad snow storm last night. I went to work in flooding rains and made it through some lake-like puddles that I wasn't happy about at all, but the Fit marched on. Eight hours later I went home in a blizzard! Sick weather. As usual, the Fit did well again but I'm not happy to be dealing with this on such a constant basis. It wouldn't take much for my perfectly behaving Fit to lose it, or should I say, ME losing it, and getting into serious trouble. In my experience with my Fit in it's first HORRIBLE winter with me, it does very well and rates as dependable. But that can change in a heartbeat when you're out there in the middle of it, so it's really best not to even try, when possible.

And...I'm hearing early talk of yet another storm next week. Spring, where art thou?!

Dan

Old 02-27-2010, 09:43 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
It wouldn't take much for my perfectly behaving Fit to lose it, or should I say, ME losing it, and getting into serious trouble. In my experience with my Fit in it's first HORRIBLE winter with me, it does very well and rates as dependable. But that can change in a heartbeat when you're out there in the middle of it, so it's really best not to even try, when possible.
Quoted for posterity. Don't go out if you don't have to, and be careful if you do.
Spring, where art thou?!
Can I get an amen?

Last edited by wdb; 02-27-2010 at 09:46 PM.