2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Went to DMV to register my GE8 in LA. Horror story

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Went to DMV to register my GE8 in LA. Horror story

Compton DMV, some whacky almost crashed into me in his old truck on the way there.

Once there, I had to tell them repeatedly that I had an appointment so I don't get put in the back of the line. Once seen at the window, lady tells me that it actually needs to be verified first: "drive it around, park in front of the glass window and press the bell on the wall and wait for the verifier."

Waited, waited, turned out I had to go inside and tell me there. Lady comes out, with attitude like I stole her car.

After inspection, she tells me I need to have it inspected by the CHP (california highway patrool) in Hawthorne, and have an appointment for that too. After calling there, first the guy tried to send me to salvage inspection. After explaining, he tells me to call Monday.

Back to the window, paid a whopping $1891 sales tax and registration. Then she gives me my paperwork back and I see that it requires me to have a freaking SMOG CHECK!!??!!!

So I tell her, it's a new car, shouldn't have to smog it. She is not sure, sends me to information window to get a smog pamphlet. The guy at information is at war with this lady and send me back. She comes to him and they start argueing.

They tell me to call the supervisor. The only supervisor was not available for 15 minutes (on the phone with Sacramento)? Then she comes to the window and tells me she needs to help another customer. (Who broght her about 10 plastic grocery bags which she was then slowly carrying to her desk).

Finally she comes to me with a grudge. Then she tells me she deals with drivers license and "knowns nothing about registration". Takes me to another part of the building to ask another "expert".

Finally that lady makes phone calls and tells me that I do have to have it smogged since it's brought in from out of state (I brought it in with 800 miles from New Mexico).

So off I go, late from my lunch break.

Bottom line, it's kind of painful to deal with local DMV (1).

Taxes and registration are ridiculous. (2).

Having to smog it and inspected by CHP = inconvenience (have to take a day off?).

On the good side, they said that CHP inspection was due to it being high-theft vehicle.

Any thoughts? Did I get screwed?

Last edited by john21031; 12-25-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
why did you buy it in new mexico? and the fit being high theft? ...i dont think so.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
LOL it's the config I wanted was not available in Ca for months...

Old 12-25-2009, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
they're on par with smog.

especially when a car is bought out of state. there may be some things that are not CA smog compliant.

same thing goes when you sell a car, private party, prove that it's CA smog legal.

tax and fees, that's obvious as well.

if you haven't been to CA dmv before, making an appointment just gets you into another waiting line(heavy populated cities.) if you dont like waiting in line go to Newhall or some boondock city.

you can try calling in the dmv and tell them specifically what you need. that way things won't surprise you when you go in.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:02 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Man thats a lot of hoops to jump through.
I'm glad we Floridians don't have anything
like that to go through.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Wow, that was a pain. I am glad we do not have smog testing in my area.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
LOL it's the config I wanted was not available in Ca for months...

what is your configuration?

i got my 2009 TW Sport Manual from Sierra Honda in July.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
All I can say is: Fuck the DMV. Yes, pardon my language. But California DMVs are the worst. I brought my car in from Washington, registered it in Washington too so I have Washington plates. Don't let the DMV fool you in to thinking you MUST get smog checks if you are registered in another state! It's all about California trying to suck up as much money as possible from it's drivers. You should know whether or not just by common sense that your car (especially a Honda Fit) is smog compliant. But of course that's a different story if you buy a car in another state but have to get it registered here since you don't have a valid address from the state you bought it from.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:45 PM
And people wonder why California is in the toilet!

Old 12-25-2009, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Thats what you get for buying out of state!

Old 12-26-2009, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Why did you go to the Compton DMV since your location is Alhambra?I try to avoid DMV in certain area since they give bad service.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:06 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Dmv

I moved from Washington state to Burbank with the Fit. Going to the DMV there was a pain!!!! Crowded, high fees, and stupid smog check. I hate going there.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
The config I wanted is in my signature: taffeta white with manual transmission. I went to Compton DMV while on lunch break. I work in the vicinity there. By the way, I tried calling the DMV many times and it's nearly impossible to get through. The message is that 'The volume of calls is very high. Your estimated wait time is over 10 minutes. Please try to call on another day or at a later time.". Oh well... No going around this. Thanks for replies yall.

Last edited by john21031; 12-26-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Dealing with different states can be a huge pain in the ass. I live in Pa and have purchased vehicles in NY and District of Columbia (Washington DC). Both were very difficult to deal with. No matter how many calls you make to prepare, look things up on their websites, and ask the sellers of the vehicles. There were always some issue. Either not having the right insurance letter with the exact verbiage, or as the op stated, employees who just not know their jobs.
Usually the problems crop up late in the day, or on a Sat. These folks just did not seem to care that your driving hundreds of miles with the info that their office or website said you needed. Not what they are now saying you need.
At the DC DMV it was so crowded you had to take a number and wait for it to be called. Then they would give you another number for that specific transaction. 5:00 came and went and there we sat. A person can get really angry with all the bs from people who just do not seem to know and do not seem to care that yes it does say you can do that on their website.

At least you (and we) got things taken care of. Hope you enjoy your new car. We just picked up ours this morning.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, in the end we still have a great car to enjoy. It's just a little necessary pain to have the privilege of driving it. Makes it even more enjoyable. What color and transmission did you get?

Old 12-26-2009, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
hawthorne dmv is pretty decent... Bellflower dmv is aight also... Compton HA!!! downshift, burn rubber, and get the f-ck out lol.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:33 PM
We picked up a Milano Red 09 Sport w/navi and stick. Dealer said Fit's with navi and stick were unusual as most who selected navi wanted the auto also.
Maybe why in 10 you cannot get that combo. Just not popular.
White was the wife's first choice. Unfortunately, this is all they had.
She loves it!!!

When we did the transfer of our old Civic to our son all he needed was his license and ins card from his other car. Very simple. Sign and go.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
I like how the fit looks in red. It's a dark, deep cherry red, reminds me of how Ferrari look. I was also considering red, but heard they are harder to see in the dark and I drive after dark often.

Congrats on a great ride!

Old 12-26-2009, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
There are also good times and bad times to hit DMV. The best day is Wednesdays. Avoid Mondays and Fridays- EVERYONE is in there on those days. Avoid lunch hours for the same reason. Avoid school vacation days too. Best time is a regular old Wednesday and best of all, a great weather day. Nothing will pack a DMV more than a shitty weather day out. Take a half day off of work- whatever it takes. This all comes from my honey- a retired DMV state employee. NY DMV seems to have gotten their act together- at least in my area. It took a proper layout and better training to get things moving right. Also a good website helps too. Cally seems like an utter nightmare. Sorry to hear it.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 12-26-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:57 PM
The DMV up here in Monterey (er, technically Seaside) is the paradigm of efficiency.

Yes, you walk in and gasp at the line. It moves quickly. They are helpful, courteous, friendly. They are very efficient at getting your issues solved and getting you on your way.

I have never been disappointed by a trip to the DMV here... especially after dealing with other states' DL and tax offices.

My most recent experience was going in to renew the registration on my motorcycle - it had lapsed two months, and I didn't realize it was overdue, as I had moved and they did not forward the renewal notices.

The cashier was at the DMV desk was super-friendly. She waived the late fees (about $60 I think), updated my address in the system. I paid my $68 and was on my way.

Quick Reply: Went to DMV to register my GE8 in LA. Horror story