2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Pop out map lights in Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Pop out map lights in Sport

Trying to get at the map light wiring in an GE 2009 sport so I can hardwire my valentine 1...but the dam ligths wont budge and I dont wanna break the housing. how to do it?

thanks

Old 12-24-2009, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bfeinzimer
Trying to get at the map light wiring in an GE 2009 sport so I can hardwire my valentine 1...but the dam ligths wont budge and I dont wanna break the housing. how to do it?

thanks
Not quite an answer to your post but... search for homelink. someone replaced the map lights with the homelink setup from a (TSX?) and they would have had to replace it. Might also want to look at Genuine Honda Accessories at Discount Prices - Honda Product Information, Videos and News in their parts section for the bluetooth add-on. there are instructions on how to install and it gets mounted right behind the map lights.

Where are you mounting yours? I'm hardwiring mine this week just to the left or right of the mirror (near the roofline). I plan on running the cable around edge of the window down to the fuse box and using an Add-A-Fuse to tap in for power. (concealed display will go down in the lower left where the windshield meets the dash.)

~SB

Old 12-25-2009, 02:49 AM
So you pop out the light lenses, there are 2 screws to hold the light housing, remove them. There is a single pink wire, tap your V1 hardwire kit into that and store all your wiring in the headliner to the right and left of the light housing, place your V1 black power phone cable thru the headliner to the fron windshield and then use the ground screw thingy with the screws to hold the light holder thingy. Its super easy once your in there...I don't use a remote just tint your windows and you wont need one.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bfeinzimer
So you pop out the light lenses, there are 2 screws to hold the light housing, remove them. There is a single pink wire, tap your V1 hardwire kit into that and store all your wiring in the headliner to the right and left of the light housing, place your V1 black power phone cable thru the headliner to the fron windshield and then use the ground screw thingy with the screws to hold the light holder thingy. Its super easy once your in there...I don't use a remote just tint your windows and you wont need one.
I've gotten used to having the concealed display. I have had my V1 now for over 10 years and really like making shure that I don't have to look up (or away from the road) to see the display. Maybe it's safety, maybe it's laziness... to me it's nice. Unfortunately, I'll need to run a wire down to the concealed display location anyway so instead of running a wire down, I'll run the wire up to the V1.

How long have you had the V1?

~SB

Old 12-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Well in socal it seems everyone is using laser so really the only thing to do is not realy speed. My last car was a bmw, I sped a lot more in that car and since the fit has a lot less power I tend not to go as fast...I've had my v1 for just over a year and it only notified me I was getting poped by laser and got tagged and received a speeding ticket a few months ago.

I hardly use the display because if I hear it going off at all my foot goes straight to the brake pedal....then I glance up...

Now I heard there is this new band Ku or something that the v1 doesent pick up, is that true?

Old 12-25-2009, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure on the latest signal types but if there is something out there, the V1 will be able to be upgraded.

As for the jamming on the break pedal... I'd highly recommend against that. It's just dangerous. Set your V1 to "L" (middle sensitivity) and turn the background volume (outer ring) all of the way down. This way you aren't alarmed by useless alarms and also aren't putting others in danger by Jamming on your brakes when you don't need to. Radar detection is about information. The more info you have, the better decision you can make as to whether you need to slow down or not (and how quickly). if you are in traffic, 99.9% of the time, the cop is pointing at someone else (unless it is laser) so all you need to do is lift off the pedal. You also don't want to end up being rear-ended... (granted, the person behind you "should" be far enough back but... in LA traffic, is that realistic... and do you want to be in an accident at all - even if it's not your fault. I don't want a neck brace or whiplash). The Display of the V1 for me is invaluable as it will tell you where to look for radar signal and if there are more than one "bogeys" out there. The L setting will limit the number of useless signals, and distant signals will come in at a very low volume as not to tempt your "brake foot". Laser detection is useless; if the detector goes off.... you're done! Worry about Radar mostly and the V1 is great at picking up scattered signal where a radar is pointed at another car a long ways away. (Mine picks up cops over a mile away and it's 10 yrs old.)

In my opinion, if you aren't using the display, you are missing out on half of the capability of the V1 and could have gotten by with a Bell or some cheaper detector.

~SB

Old 12-25-2009, 10:47 PM
well I don't mean literally, but its my first thought. of course if I'm going 20 mph im not going to slam the brakes, but @ high speeds of course my first thought will be to slow down. 99% of the time in the LA area, its laser....so the only way to avoid it is not to speed. the other bands ( I believe K and X) i've shut off, they are just door sensors

Old 12-26-2009, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, Didn't realize that in LA, they had completely dropped Radar for Laser. Hope I didn't come across as lecturing (not my intention). I've been on highways too many times when i've been able to just let off the gas and others next to me jam on the brakes. Fortunately, the V1 usually gave me more warning than anyone else around me so I'd let off the gas first and watch for the brake lights.

On the KU Question. I looked around V1's website and the V1 can detect it but it isn't used in the US. The KU band is used in Europe.

oh... and btw, Welcome to the forums.

~SB