2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I desperately need a security code for the stereo system!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Unhappy I desperately need a security code for the stereo system!

I recently had body work done on my 2008 Fit that required the battery to be disconnected. So of course the stereo wants a security code. The card with the code was missing from the owners packet thing (which is odd because I never had occasion to use it before), and when I contacted the dealer it was purchased from, they told me the code was not on record. I no longer live in that state, so I can't take the car to them. I have contacted five other dealers, and they all are going to charge me an hourly rate to get the code (the average was over $100). Since I'm broke and can't afford to pay that much to not drive in silence, I'm wondering if there is another way to get a code. I'm convinced theres some kind of master or override code. Any help would be amazing! I have an hour commute to work ever day, and the silence is driving me crazy...

Old 12-22-2009, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Did your dealer sign you up for "Honda Owner Link" when you bought the car?

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....d%5Fhome%2Easp

You can register yourself and your Fit and obtain the radio code from there.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
If you don't want to sign up with owner link, you can also retrieve your code from https://radio-navicode.honda.com/. It'll ask for your info and the serial number of the radio.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 PM
excellent, i can get into the owners link. now my next problem....i definitely dont have a sticker with the serial number on or in my glove box. i'm starting to think that the dealer who did the repairs has pulled something over on me (i had MAJOR issues with the service department, which i was rather vocal about), since theres no reason for the sticker and the information card to both be missing. i suppose i'll contact my original dealer again and see if they can give me the serial number, as i cant think of another way to get it.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
The serial number should show up on the radio. These are the instructions from the Honda radio code retrieval site:
  • Turn the ignition switch to ON.
  • Turn ON the device and confirm that the display reads COdE. If you don’t see this message, pull the backup fuse for 1 minute, and then go back to step 1.
  • Turn OFF the device.
  • Press and hold the 1 and 6 radio preset buttons, and turn ON the device.
  • The display toggles between two screens: U with the first 4 digits of the serial number (U2200 for example,)
  • And L with the last 4 digits of the serial number (L0055 for example.)
  • Ignore the U and L and record all 8 digits

Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 PM
the nice service lady told me how to get my serial #: with the radio off, hold down the 1 & 6 buttons, then turn the system on. presto! the serial #! now i can go on the owners site and get my code.

thanks so much everyone! hope this can help someone else too!

Old 12-22-2009, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Don't know about your model, but on an '07 the code is on a decal in the glove compartment.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
What's the point of a security system which the code can be had with just the serial # of the radio? Can't someone with a stolen radio just do the same thing?

What am I missing here?

Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
What's the point of a security system which the code can be had with just the serial # of the radio?
To sell cars.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
I don't see how it sells cars if it creates a hassle for the owner every time the power is lost and yet offers no real protection.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
If you use the online site, in addition to the serial number of the radio, you need:
Phone number on record with Honda
Zip code on record with Honda
Vehicle's VIN

Sure, if you leave identifying information in the car, like your purchase receipt, then a thief could get that information.

If you go to a dealer, you'll need to show them proof that you own the car and the car's VIN number... or a shady dealer that doesn't check that info...

So you do need more than just the serial number, though it's not something a thief couldn't get...

Old 12-22-2009, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
I suppose the thief could take the glove box decal at the same time as the radio.

I think I'll take my decal off.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:50 PM
look in your maintenance book. on the first page it should be hand written in under radio code when the dealer did the PDI.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
I suppose the thief could take the glove box decal at the same time as the radio.

I think I'll take my decal off.

People still steal radio now days? They are all model specific and standard on all cars. Unlike the old days when radio was an option. I don't know why they even bother using the code?

My Dad's 05 Accord doesn't have a radio code, but my previous 04 Civic did.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
https://radio-navicode.honda.com/
You need the following to retrieve your security code.
  • VIN
  • Phone Number/Zip Code
  • Radio Serial# or Navigation Seriial #
You can look at Anti-Theft ID or inside glove box. You can find it either on the side or inside the glove box when you open it.