2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Fit, stock Dunlops, and a blizzard

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit, stock Dunlops, and a blizzard

Finally got my first shot at driving my Fit after our 2 1/2 foot blizzard last night. The roads were snowy and icey. Mostly clear, but there were some tricky, messy intersections. It zipped right trough it all, stock Dunlops and all! I came from a rear wheel car and I wouldn't have made it through some of the mess. The Fit ate it up and kept moving. I got in my worst pickle coming out of an ill plowed gas station, where I had to stop before entering a main road- a very bad perdicament to be in. Then with people pulling in and such, it was getting bad. I had to back up, try again to exit, back up again and exit from the other side of the place. But right smack in the middle of the mess, I never got stuck for a second. It ain't all wheel drive for sure, but I'm loving front wheel drive! And gone are my fish tails from rear wheel driving in snow.

I was nervous about how this would go out without with snow tires. No problem. The Dunlops, and sensible driving made the trip to work no problem. This darn Fit keeps impressing me!

Dan

Old 12-21-2009, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, I too came from a rwd car and the fit has been awesome in the snow.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Being that the Fit is an economy car and has less gadgets and many less luxury car comforts it is really easy to drive in snow. Being able to feel the road and control the car more easily is a definite plus in winter time driving. I came from a fwd luxury coupe. I find the Fits light weight and easy handling makes it a kick to drive on the winter streets. With a little sensible driving the Fit can do anything you ask it to.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 12-21-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:14 AM
I had one hill that I was barely able to get over... I did make it, but I didn't think I was going to at first.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
My trip home I noticed something a little interesting. I started getting a shimmy when I got onto a main road and got up to speed. Not really bad, but there. Made me a bit nervous. I figured snow was interfering with something. I spun the tires pretty good just before that and I got nervous I warpred something! LOL! I just hoped nothing was majorly screwed up. I was hoping that it was just snow buildup in the wells and rubbing the tires. It turns out it was that. At least I think it was that. I'll see on the drive tonight. It wasn't touching the tires, but it was built up right behind the front tires in the well. I'll have to watch for that now. That's a big reason why I'll be replacing the tires when needed with the same size tires. There isn't a whole lot of clearence in the wells with the stock tires. I can't imagine even a slightly larger tire in there, not to mention the snow buildup makes it really bad.

All in all though, the Fit's making it through this. If it can handle this storm, it can handle anything.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 12-21-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
My trip home I noticed something a little interesting. I started getting a shimmy when I got onto a main road and got up to speed. Not really bad, but there. Made me a bit nervous. I figured snow was interfering with something. I spun the tires pretty good just before that and I got nervous I warpred something! LOL! I just hoped nothing was majorly screwed up. I was hoping that it was just snow buildup in the wells and rubbing the tires. It turns out it was that. At least I think it was that. I'll see on the drive tonight. It wasn't touching the tires, but it was built up right behind the front tires in the well. I'll have to watch for that now. That's a big reason why I'll be replacing the tires when needed with the same size tires. There isn't a whole lot of clearence in the wells with the stock tires. I can't imagine even a slightly larger tire in there, not to mention the snow buildup makes it really bad.

All in all though, the Fit's making it through this. If it can handle this storm, it can handle anything.

Dan
That "shimmy" that you felt when you got up in speed wasn't caused by the snow buildup in the wheel wells. It's caused by snow in the wheels themselves causing imbalance. It will go away when the snow is gone from the wheels.

I just have to add that the Fit is even better (much) with my Blizzaks on all 4 wheels. They just eat up snow for fun!

Old 12-21-2009, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting. Thanks for that. It really didn't feel good. You know when your car is not handling right and I felt it. Still though, the well clearence is small- much more so than I've ever delt with. Had to use my hand to clear it. I'm used to the foot kick to do the job!

Dan