2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Windshield slime

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
I'll use a different technical term, "spooge." When it gets bad enough, the wiper blade starts chattering, and starts leaving bits of itself behind, which makes the chattering get worse until you very thoroughly clean the glass. I use a windshield cleaning compound called "Strip It," which is a blue paste in a tube. Apply, clean with a soft, wet cloth, then rinse and polish. It won't necessarily prevent the return of spooge, but it's very effective at thoroughly removing the stuff. A non-scratching cleaner, such as Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend--Best Value on the Web .

Running the wipers faster than the available moisture dictates exacerbates the problem, which is another reason why it's unfortunate that the bean counters at Honda didn't see fit to fit the Fit with a variable interval intermittent wiper switch (three different uses of "fit" in one sentence!).

Old 12-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Naah, I'm not getting chatter on the wipe stroke. That does happen with the rear wiper, largely because the blade takes a set from less frequent use.
Tell me more about 'strip it' /BonAmi, etc. You have found these products to be non scratching? I tried a paste product specifically marketed for windshield haze; it turned out to be very agressive and added a bunch of fine scratches to my wife's old car's windshield. It already had stone peppering from 'tractive material' that PennDot dumps on the road, but I'm not about to try the stuff on our now rather new windshields.
BTW, the agressive stuff didn't help overmuch as I recall.
Thnx,
Moon
ETA-Since somebody marketed a product to remove it, the 'slime' thing must be bugging someone besides me!
M

Old 12-19-2009, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
As long as you clean grit off the windshield first, and use light pressure and plenty of water, none of these products should scratch glass. Bon Ami has been around for more 120 years, and their slogan is "Hasn't scratched yet."

Old 12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Thankee, Selden.
I'll give it a try.
Moon

Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
I use Tar and Bug remover from Gunk - Radiator Specialty Company

Its available at walmart and any auto parts store.

It does a great job at getting bugs off of the body and windshield, as well as that greasy slime the develops on the windshield. I also used it on the back window as well, as mine tends to be disgusting after driving on any wet surface.

Just spray on, wait about 2 minutes until it just starts to dry, and wash car.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Thankee, Andre. Sure sounds easy enough to use.
Moon

Old 12-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I had a similar issue on my car prior to my fit. My parking space is uncovered and all sorts of residue builds up on the windshield but more importantly on the leading edge of the wiper blades. I solved the problem by simply wiping the windshield clean with water and dishwashing soap and then cleaning the wiper blades with a moist paper towl with a tiny bit of dishwashing soap until I was satisfied most of the residue was gone. I make it a habit of cleaning the wiper blades with a wet paper towel occassionally and I haven't had the problem since. I would've used a degreaser like simple green to clean the blades but I have concerns that using a strong degreaser on the rubber blades would shorten their life-span.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
You might try being more careful when waxing. Keep it off the glass completely.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
You might try being more careful when waxing. Keep it off the glass completely.
Actually, I'm pretty anal about that. One time I actually masked off the windshield.
Problem is, the wax residue from buffing it out tends to get in nooks and crannies, only to blow or wash out when the car is taken out in the weather.
I've also tried powerwashing the car after I wax it, being careful to keep the overspray off the windshield; I blow everything on the hood forward and toward the back on the roof.
Again, this helped but wasn't a perfect solution.
Moon

Old 12-19-2009, 04:14 PM
You might try a clay bar next time, they work very well in removing all kinds of debris. Followed by a glass wax to protect the glass surface.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:12 AM
First thing I noticed....

Was that I don't like blade style wipers because I believe they streak more and I switched them out after only 3k on the car. Love the new rainx blades. No more streaking.