2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dunlops- where's my air going?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Wow! If anything, my little situation woke some people up to checking air pressure!

Far as hypermileage and different air pressures, the only thing I know is that the Fit handles optimally at 33 psi for me. Steering handling is perfect, road grip and cornering is excellent, and absorbtion [hardness of the tire while driving] seems right on to me. I get a very acceptable feel while driving at 33 psi. That's something you can obviously feel- the hardness of the tire as you drive. I'm gonna stay right at 33 psi because everything about the Fit's handling seems optimal right there. And for those of you, like me, who let the air get very low- bringing it back up will result in your Fit handling like a new car, trust me. The first place you feel it is the steering wheel. It's like you suddenly have power steering back.

Dan

Old 12-15-2009, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wilcoholic
Well the made some pretty convincing points and explained in detail why it improves cornering, performance etc. Honda also has a lot of other things to consider like marketing, lawsuits. It's not necessarily the optimum of the car but a combination of many different things.

I know those hypermilers are extremists and they do some really over the top things that I just cant do. But they do give some pretty good tips. I feel more confident if I know what a honda engineer would PERSONALLY run on HIS fit.

Btw my sticker on the drivers side door says that the front tires should be pumped to 32psi and the back to 30psi. So the numbers arent consistent.
I'd put my money on the Honda Engineers running what the sticker says... (they probably write the data for the sticker).

As for your sticker, are you driving a Fit base? I've got the sport. The larger diameter wheels/wider tires and the stiffer suspension probably play into the equation. Also, it is not uncommon to have different Front/rear pressures, especially with cars that have a severe weight bias... the fit is VERY nose heavy.

~SB

Old 12-15-2009, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wilcoholic
Is 5 psi really a big difference? Is that really the difference between perfect and freaking low?
Yep 5 psi is huge, even on track. It's normal practice to play around with tire pressures in search of a quicker lap time, but even that can be taken too far...as I learned for myself.

There's a definite point where the tires just have too much air to work properly. That point, for my GD on 16s, is 40 psi cold. I brought my pressures to 36 all around and the car just worked better through the turns.

Also, 5 psi is the "headroom" engineered into reinforced or extra-load tires. These tires are marked because they can handle slightly more weight than a standard tire, but require an increase of 5 psi over normal pressures to make use of the extra load capability.

Unless your tires are embossed or stamped "REINFORCED" on the sidewall and you have to make use of their extra lugging ability, just stick to the normal pressure