2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
View Poll Results: Do you drive with your fog lights on all the time?
Yes
58.27%
No
41.73%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with your fog lights all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
Whenever I have the headlights on. At 63, my night vision isn't what it was at 23, and I need all the help I can get. My wife was following me on a trip recently, and had the headlights on during the day. Low + Fog, no problem, but high beams in my rear view mirror were extremely annoying. Fortunately, she figured this out before I called her to switch to low beams. Low beams + fog lights made it easy to spot the Fit in my rear view mirror.

No shit you can't see at night eh? I find at 67 my night vision sucks too.

I have my fogs done in Kool Kevins yellow film. Now they look cool so I leave them turned on all the time so they work with headlight switch.

A pic is worth a 1000 words eh.

Name:  002-1.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  59.6 KB

Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clicq
Originally Posted by whaap
A small point: Fit sports do not have fog lights. That is unless the owner has installed them. The Fit sport is equipped with driving lights. Fog lights are yellow in color and do an excellent job of penetration darkness when conditions are foggy. Driving lights don't come close to functioning as well as fog lights in those conditions. And yes, I keep my driving lights on all the time.
I thought fog lights were defined by their beam pattern and cutoff, which seems to be what is said on wikipedia (Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). This also agrees with what's noted by Daniel Stern, and the ECE R19 regulation (see http://www.unece.org/trans/doc/2007/...9-2007-62e.doc).

Note the following according to the article: "The respective purposes of front fog lamps and driving lamps are often confused, due in part to the misconception that fog lamps are necessarily selective yellow, while any auxiliary lamp that makes white light is a driving lamp." I don't have access to the SAE spec, but the ECE R19 spec used in Europe states: "The illumination shall be measured in either white or selective yellow light as prescribed by the manufacturer for use of the front fog lamp in normal service." So fog lights can be white or yellow...
Correct Fog Lights are determined by the spread of the beam and not the color of the lighting however certain colors do cut through inclement weather better (yellow in particular). Driving lights project a more directional beam (like headlights) which can be thrown a further distance while fog lights have a wider angle designed to illuminate the area right in front of the car but nothing at a distance.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 12-15-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
This reminds me of that episode of South park where everyone in town got a hybrid and became so smug and uppity, it caused a huge "smUg" storm that nearly destroyed the town...it was hella funny.

South Park Episode Player - Smug Alert
That was a good one. Everybody was driving a Toyota "Pious" or a Honda "Hindsight" LOL.

It was almost as good as the one about the Harley riders.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
The fogs are done in the yellow Xpel film, and are left on with the headlights. The side throw is terrible, so anything to help illuminate the sides of the road is a good thing.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtunofun
By all the time, I mean when it's not raining, snowing, or foggy outside?

I ask because someone driving a prius (totally serious!!) approached me last night in the local whole foods parking lot and said, "hey man you were driving with your fog lights on that's not cool!"
"It's not?", I inquired.
He proceeded to give me a thoughrough explanation into the actual purposes of fog lights and it's detriments when not used properly. I politely thanked him for his inciteful information but I still think he's a douche. And even though he's a douche for being all uppity and better than thou, he did make a good point and I won't be using my foglights unless the situation calls for it.

What do you guys think? Do most people use fogs inappropriately?

Hey he drives a Prius. using fog lights any time brights aren't on is cool. Turning them on and off is silly.
At nite all the lights you can use is beneficial.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
I disagree somewhat with these posts. More light is better when correctly aimed. More light can be a detriment if it is improperly placed.

In suburb driving, where there are streetlights and other ambient light sources that illuminate things in the distance, fogs on/off don't really matter. In dark driving conditions where there is nothing other than your headlights to illuminate things in the distance, your fogs shorten the depth of visibility. When you turn your fogs on, the foreground is illuminated causing more light to be reflected. The more light that is reflected closely, the less your pupils dilate causing distance vision to be lessened. By turning off your fogs (in good weather conditions), you primarily illuminate objects that are in the distance which, in turn, allows your pupils to dilate more. This means you see more. This is why projectors are more beneficial than reflector housings. Projectors put the light exactly where you need it and don't just "flood" the area with light.
~SB
This. But hey. It looks cool!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Hey he drives a Prius. using fog lights any time brights aren't on is cool. Turning them on and off is silly.
At nite all the lights you can use is beneficial.
Hmmmm I should turn on the dome & map lights too... jk

Originally Posted by Bowkr
Definitely does look better with them on. If only it was beneficial.

~SB

Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bowkr

Any one who has never endurance raced in the night never knows how important it is to see things to the side up close. Just because you're driving 45 instead of 145 just means how quick you assimilate the info, but first you need the info. What you don't see you can't react to.
If for no other reason, deer at the side of the road are more easily seen.
PS the proper aiming for fog lights is diagonally, right side aimed 45 degrees left and the left aimed diagonally 45 deg to the right.

Driving at nite with 6 or 8 high powered lites fog, med, and long range) is a rush.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Hmmmm I should turn on the dome & map lights too... jk

~SB

i think you should too so we know you're there.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
I disagree somewhat with these posts. More light is better when correctly aimed. More light can be a detriment if it is improperly placed.

In suburb driving, where there are streetlights and other ambient light sources that illuminate things in the distance, fogs on/off don't really matter. In dark driving conditions where there is nothing other than your headlights to illuminate things in the distance, your fogs shorten the depth of visibility. When you turn your fogs on, the foreground is illuminated causing more light to be reflected. The more light that is reflected closely, the less your pupils dilate causing distance vision to be lessened. By turning off your fogs (in good weather conditions), you primarily illuminate objects that are in the distance which, in turn, allows your pupils to dilate more. This means you see more. This is why projectors are more beneficial than reflector housings. Projectors put the light exactly where you need it and don't just "flood" the area with light.
~SB

+1! I drive with mine on all the time though

Old 12-17-2009, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Any one who has never endurance raced in the night never knows how important it is to see things to the side up close. Just because you're driving 45 instead of 145 just means how quick you assimilate the info, but first you need the info. What you don't see you can't react to.
If for no other reason, deer at the side of the road are more easily seen.
PS the proper aiming for fog lights is diagonally, right side aimed 45 degrees left and the left aimed diagonally 45 deg to the right.

Driving at nite with 6 or 8 high powered lites fog, med, and long range) is a rush.
one of the benefits of those lights is that they light up EVERYTHING. The Fit (or any other car with street legal headlights) doesn't have that capability so the lighting that does happen up close will be a detriment in most cases to the driver. I'd love to have floodlights for night driving. I'm currently driving 25 miles to get home on country roads... floods would be great. As it stands, Unless the road is wet or we have some inclement weather, I see better with just the lows or highs.

~SB

Old 12-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I wonder what success people have been having with the all LED H11's as fog/driving lights. PIAA makes a set (pricey) and superbrightleds.com sells a set as well. Didn't know if anyone has had any experience. Looking to upgrade my fogs, but really don't want yellow as it attracts way too much attention.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
I voted no.

I primarily use my fogs in the rain, fog (in rare cases snow), or in any other condition were I can't see clearly. On an occasional spirited drive, I use the fog lights to help me see the edge of the road and any object on the side of the road; however, after I changed my headlights to PIAA's Intense White bulbs I don't do this as often.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Two of our cars (the Jeep and the Audi) require turning on the fogs every time you want to use them. The default position is 'off'.
Both of these vehicles also permit running JUST the fogs, a real advantage in really dense fog or snow.
Yellow bulbs are available for foglights; imho opionion they serve two purposes. They do somewhat increase contrast (like yellow shooting glasses or camera filters), at the expense of some light loss. What's more, the yellow lets opposing motorists know that the extra set of lights are indeed fogs, not driving lights. I concur that the beam patterns are entirely different, but some dipstick motorists leap to conclusions when they see an extra set of lights.
Lights are for seeing and being seen. They're not just about looking kewl.
We won't even talk about inept HID conversions...
Moon

Old 12-18-2009, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
I dont use them unless helps with visibility. It puts more load on the alternator, wears out the brushes faster and burns more gas.

In LA traffic there is no need for them.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by Erik
I might be crazy, but I only use them in the fog.
LOL yeah man, you need to calm down. cause that is crazy! driving with your fog lights on when there is fog. LOL

Old 12-18-2009, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
Call me crazy, but I have them on in the fog too. Of course, I have them on all the time anyway so it's one less thing to grab for.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
When it's really dark out and foggy, of course, I will use them. For instance, in the morning or coming back home from work and I'm on a long road with little traffic. But yea, if you got them might as well use them I suppose!

Old 12-19-2009, 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by calrose rice
When it's really dark out and foggy, of course, I will use them. For instance, in the morning or coming back home from work and I'm on a long road with little traffic. But yea, if you got them might as well use them I suppose!
How do you feel about windshield wipers and four-way flashers?
Moon

Old 12-19-2009, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
All the time. Can't see without them at night. Low beams alone are terrible.

It's the Prius that's not cool.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Do you drive with your fog lights all the time?