2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Inexpensive rear deck carpet protection...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Inexpensive rear deck carpet protection...

Home Depot sells a lightweight mat that has soft rubber (or vinyl) on one side, and some kind of fuzzy ribbing on the other. It measures 36" by 60", which means folded once lengthwise it sits nicely in my 2010's 38" wide rear compartment when the the back seats are up... And when the back seats are down all I have to do is unfurl the thing and I then have full coverage of the deck all the way up to the front seats! (And if needed, the mat could even be used as a cover to hide things under!)

The cost? In NJ it came to $19.23 with the sales tax!

(Now what does Honda get for a rear cargo protector, -one that doesn't even open up to protect the seat-down extended rear deck area?)

Old 12-12-2009, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
You got a link to that product?

Old 12-12-2009, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
Myself I have the Honda tray BUT as in my previous cars I carry a small tarp for those days when you have to haul dirty stuff. I used it when I brought my wheels and tires home after getting snows installed.

I do like the tray even though it is expensive. Easy to take out to rinse off and Fits so well.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
You got a link to that product?
Yeah, but it's outside your door... Look around, and maybe you'll see a bright orange sign that says Home Depot on it?

Old 12-12-2009, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
is it intended for automotive use? or wiping your feet? or doing jumping jacks?

what is the actual name/brand/whatevs of the product?

home depot is big.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Myself I have the Honda tray BUT as in my previous cars I carry a small tarp for those days when you have to haul dirty stuff. I used it when I brought my wheels and tires home after getting snows installed.

I do like the tray even though it is expensive. Easy to take out to rinse off and Fits so well.
It also holds quarts of fluid from those unexpected spills during wet-work.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:25 PM
bump for the name of the product

Old 12-12-2009, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rune_of_the_future
bump for the name of the product
"rubber mat"

Old 12-12-2009, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
My late, lamented Subaru Forester came with a rear cargo area mat, and it was almost worth its weight in gold -- I can't tell you the number of times it caught spills in the past 6 years. If you plan to keep your Fit for a long time, the Honda rear cargo mat is cheap, fits well, easy to clean.

I carpeted the rear of my first Honda, then went to a local hardware store and picked up several bags of dried cow manure, one of which caught on the latch. You can imagine what the car smelled like for several weeks. I tried to correct the situation with a vacuum cleaner -- bad idea! A cargo area mat would have been a life saver.

Last edited by Selden; 12-12-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chazzlee
Yeah, but it's outside your door... Look around, and maybe you'll see a bright orange sign that says Home Depot on it?
Thanks- as if I didn't know that.

Let's see, I'll go into HD and see if I can find a lightweight mat that has soft rubber (or vinyl) on one side, and some kind of fuzzy ribbing on the other. It measures 36" by 60".

Next time you post about a product, have the courtesy and brains to tell people exactly what the product is, not a description of it.

Dan

Old 12-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Sorry, but this is better than any mat...
Maccourt at Lowe's: 36" x 24-1/2" High Density Polyethylene Mixing Tub
and cheaper now than when i bought it..also could double as a sled..lets see you do that with ur mat!

Old 12-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Killer Goldfish
Sorry, but this is better than any mat...
Maccourt at Lowe's: 36" x 24-1/2" High Density Polyethylene Mixing Tub
and cheaper now than when i bought it..also could double as a sled..lets see you do that with ur mat!
tub is lulz
no snow in socal, so I'm going to stick with the mat

Old 12-12-2009, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
This seems like a variation of the idea from this past thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...iner-pics.html

Old 12-12-2009, 04:54 PM
tub is lulz
no snow in socal, so I'm going to stick with the mat
Dude..just load it up w/ice and some tasty beverages the next time u run to the beach!!

Old 12-12-2009, 04:56 PM
didn't think of that. I thank you good sir.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:16 PM
just lookin out for the left coasters out there..

Old 12-12-2009, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks- as if I didn't know that.
Let's see, I'll go into HD and see if I can find a lightweight mat that has soft rubber (or vinyl) on one side, and some kind of fuzzy ribbing on the other. It measures 36" by 60".
Next time you post about a product, have the courtesy and brains to tell people exactly what the product is, not a description of it.
Dan
I no longer have the label that was glued onto the mat, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna go back up to Home Depot to look for it when you could just possibly tear yourself away from your PC and get offa your ass and go look for it yourself? I mean, you have a nice Fit to drive now, don't you??
And since it is the only mat in the store that's that size and fits that description, I don't think you're gonna have to exactly be Dick Tracy to find it either!
(And if you don't want the mat enough to do any of this, should I care???)

Sheeesh! -Talk about silver spoons.... Do you parents still tuck you in every night too?

Old 12-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Banned
Old 12-13-2009, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
And there you go. Thank you Chad T.

It's good etiquette to post a link for the product you're talking about. That's all I meant. I'm in HD every other day. That link will save me a half hour wandering around looking for a product that fits your description. I go out of my way helping people as much as I can in forums. I've never once said something like- 'Yeah, but it's outside your door... Look around, and maybe you'll see a bright orange sign that says Home Depot on it?'- when someone asks me for further information about something I MYSELF brought up. I'm breaking your balls because that was a snotty answer, that's all.

Water, bridge, under...

Dan

Old 12-13-2009, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
And there you go. Thank you Chad T.
It's good etiquette to post a link for the product you're talking about. That's all I meant. I'm in HD every other day. That link will save me a half hour wandering around looking for a product that fits your description. I go out of my way helping people as much as I can in forums. I've never once said something like- 'Yeah, but it's outside your door... Look around, and maybe you'll see a bright orange sign that says Home Depot on it?'- when someone asks me for further information about something I MYSELF brought up. I'm breaking your balls because that was a snotty answer, that's all.
Water, bridge, under...
Dan
Well, it is good to get out of the house once in a while, ain't it?

Anycase, I wuz having a busy and screwy day, so anyone asking for additional help that I thot was beyond the cause got sorta blasted... Nothing personal, I apologize, and I hope you have a nice holiday, okay?

And I think that the HD link supplied is funny... Because it has a box there that looks like a black, blank uTube screen, and only when you enlarge it can you see enough grain in it to realize that it's actually a pic of the black mat!!

I like this mat because it's under $20, but also because it can unfold to cover the whole rear deck when back seats are down. (-Which is gonna be a big plus when we get our Xmas tree!) But it definitely doesn't have the more solid, cupped shape that will contain liquid spills like the Honda cargo tray has.. So, TEHO..

Last edited by Chazzlee; 12-13-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive rear deck carpet protection...