2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda OEM Navigation + Handsfreelink integration: How good is it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Honda OEM Navigation + Handsfreelink integration: How good is it?

I'm thinking of springing for the Handsfreelink accessory they're finally selling, but I'm curious to know the level of integration with the OEM navigation unit. Specifically, if it does actually make use of the touch screen or not. Nothing on teh intarwebs has any information on this, and I doubt their phone tech support could answer this question.

Basically, if it offers me factory-level integration with the OEM navi unit, I'd spring for it, but if it's basically going to function on the OEM unit just like any other screen-free bluetooth adapter, it's not worth my time. Anyone have an answer?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I just installed it in my 2010 that I've had for two weeks. It was a pretty involved install, for a guy that normally wouldn't feel comfortable pulling apart a new car. If you consider yourself handy and enjoy a project, it's worth saving the money on dealership installs. The main clip for the driver's side A arm was a b**** to get back on. Though, after all is said and done, I am happy with it.

It's not integrated with the stereo/nav at all. So, when you get a call, the overhead speaker says "Incoming call", you reach up, hit the answer button and talk. I have been told the quality is great, which I attribute to the placement of the mic and speaker (right above your head). You do have to turn the radio down to talk, which at first I thought would be a pain in the ass, but it's actually kind of nice, because if I want to keep the music on at a low level, I can. Kinda cool if I want to show my friends an excerpt of a song or radio clip.

I'm happy with it. It talks to you, allows you to input a phonebook, recognizes your phone when you get in your car - all of that. I recommend keeping your phone on a charger while in the car, because running bluetooth all the time will drain your battery.