2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Preferred tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Base on sticker on the driver side door, front 33PSI and rear 32 PSI. TPMS will trigger at32 PSI. Since my car is 09 FIT Sport AT/NAV, I put 33 PSI on all tires.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITMugen
Base on sticker on the driver side door, front 33PSI and rear 32 PSI. TPMS will trigger at32 PSI. Since my car is 09 FIT Sport AT/NAV, I put 33 PSI on all tires.

Sticker only relates a nominal pressure for 'nice' ride. Proper pressure depends on what driver needs to be most competent.
TPMS triggers at about 26 psi.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:59 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Since this is the ECO-Fit forum I'll point out that while 40-ish PSI might be best for handling purposes, higher pressures are better for fuel economy. Some folks run as much as 60psi to maximize MPG. They sacrifice cornering power and braking distances, IOW safety, although many of them will scream to the heavens that they do not (they're wrong).

My preference is to find a compromise in between economy and traction. For my winter tires that seems to be 47/42 F/R. I found this out using mahout's preferred method, experimentation. I highly recommend it.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:14 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by mahout
Yes, if the tire is on a 16x7 wheel but I expect the pressures to be closer to 45/40 for street or track and 45/48 for a/x on that 16x7. rear pressure higher for a/x because you'd like more oversteer than on track.
A little experimentation is worth a thousand opinions.
Overinflating the rears does help rotate the car in an auto X. I found out underinflating won't do it because as soon as you start to slide you'll heat up the tires and the pressure will go back up.

I run 50 front 40 rear on my 175/65/15s on the base Fit for street use. Night and day improvement in handling.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:39 PM
30 front, 29 rear, is what i use. I use +90% of time in the city streets.
More PSI and my ride will be a Ping-Pong ball.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by What the Fit?
30 front, 29 rear, is what i use. I use +90% of time in the city streets.
More PSI and my ride will be a Ping-Pong ball.
I am curious abut the way your tires are wearing and what size wheels and tires you are using on your car.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I am curious abut the way your tires are wearing and what size wheels and tires you are using on your car.
The tires are Pirelli P4 size 175/65/15,
Here´s a pic of how they look.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITMugen
My TPMS sensors trigger at 28 psi.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Can't get the tire pressure right >.<

I am wondering what PSI I should have in my 08 sport. I have 40 PSI all around, but my (!) is on. (Handling is a lot better since i used to have 50f/48r; when the wind blew so did i.) Looking at my tires they look sort of flat, so maybe that is why my (!) is on.
I have the stock alloy sport wheels, I do mostly in city driving with perhaps 15-20 miles interstate. Can someone please help me. I don't want to wear my tires improperly and want to get the most out of my gas, while still having a smooth ride.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Tire pressure

Can't get the tire pressure right >.<
To Dayrunner.

I have a 08 and 09 Fit, both Sport Models, with standard Sport Alloy Wheels and tires. I keep all tires at 35psi, now, and get very even wear, and both cars get real-world (ie. calculated) MPGs about the same... 35 mixed driving and 39 highway. Your warning light on the panel seems odd. I've had my tires above 40 psi (around 45 psi), to test them out there, and never got the warning light. I have gotten the tire warning light when the pressure went below 28 psi. When I was above 40 psi, the mileage did not improve appreciably but the ride was noticeably harsher.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Cant get the PSI right--update

To einstein77
I have been doing a little reading and some ppl say that bc the front of the car is so heavy they put more pressure in the front than the rear. I am trying that out as we speak. I have 40f/35r. Is the psi ratio too high? I know it will wear my tires unevenly but can i just rotate them front to back and all that to even the wear?? I believe that left rear has a bit of damage and that is causing the (!) to come on. When I took the reading it was at 15ish... >.< So to summarize: is 40/35 ok or would you strongly recommend 35 all around?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Tire Pressure

Even with the stock tires on the Sport Fit, 40f/35r will be no problem, with the extra weight in the front. The exact perfect ratio... I have no idea. Some people think that a 3psi difference is enough. I never got any unusual wear when the tires were at 45psi all-around. I didn't like the stiffer ride at 45psi so I went to 35psi, and I'm satisfied with the ride and still-great handling. As far as your panel tire code error (!)... this indicates a low pressure and that the sender is properly being read by the computer. If damage has caused the sensor in the tire to fail completely, then you should be getting a "TPMS" error on the panel. If you pump up your tires and the (!) error doesn't go away within a few hours of driving, and you still want this feature, you'll have to have some tire center change a sensor in that tire.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 PM
2010 sport sticker says 33 psi. Experts say the manufacturer recomendations are the correct balance of safety, handling and economy.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chriscopp
2010 sport sticker says 33 psi. Experts say the manufacturer recomendations are the correct balance of safety, handling and economy.
There are two sets of manufacturer recommendations: one from the AUTO maker, and one from the TIRE maker.

I believe it would be more accurate to say that AUTOMOBILE manufacturer recommendations will provide their interpretation of the correct balance between comfort and safety. There is wiggle room in the regulations for carmakers to show their preferences; for example Fisker might recommend a higher pressure than Buick for the same tire, because Fisker will tend to optimize performance and Buick will tend to optimize comfort.

The TIRE maker's pressure recommendation, which can be found on the tire sidewall, is their recommendation for the maximum pressure the tire should be inflated to when cold. It does not represent an ideal for any particular set of conditions; it represents what the TIRE maker sees as a physical limitation. Experts will tell you to never exceed this pressure, and so will I -- even though I am not a tire expert.

Experts also say that running higher than AUTOMAKER'S recommended pressures will improve turn-in response and cornering stability, and can improve maximum grip as well. That's why people pump up their tires for autocross and track days. They also do things like mark the tread and sidewalls with chalk before a run, then examine it after the run to see how much sidewall flex they are getting and to see how their contact patch (the part of the tire that is in contact with the ground at any given moment) looks.

Hypermilers will tell you unequivocally that really high pressures will reduce rolling resistance, thereby improving fuel economy. Some of them take this to what I consider to be dangerous extremes. For my money I'd rather get a purpose-built low rolling resistance tire, then inflate it within the TIRE MAKER'S maximum.

What is the best tire pressure for any given individual? The answer is "it depends". The limitations are that the tire pressure must be:
  • high enough to keep the TPMS happy
  • low enough to be within the TIRE maker's maximum pressure
After that it becomes a matter of how much load you carry, how you drive, and what kind of response you prefer from the tires on your car.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Tire Pressure

The problem with tire pressure requirements and manufacturer recommendations is that there is no absolute. There is no proper balance of performance, economy and comfort. All the terms are subjective. As for automotive experts... I am glad that forums like this allow the indivual to expound on their real world experiences. Years ago I worked for Ford as an engineer. Believe me... there are no experts when it comes to manufacturers of automotive products. I had to deal with engineers from all the related manufacturers as well as from the tire industry, ... there are no real experts there either. If tires were an exact science, there would be a need for only a few styles, as they would accomplish all the requirements of performance, handling, etc. Manufacturing is hit-and-miss like everything else in the world. So, to all of you with Honda Fits, "Keep testing the different tires, the different pressures, etc,". It's the only real way to learn how the product really works. It's really fascinating to hear about all the experiences of this forums members... and the surprising differences.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Smile

Good advice from last two members. Thanks, guys keep up the good work.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Chriscopp
Good advice from last two members. Thanks, guys keep up the good work.
X2 I just use what the dealer recommends, but with the experiments expressed by the Fit owners on this Forum, I can see that there are different options i can run to maximize my comfort and performance..
This is great thanks guys!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
I always ran what was on the door jam. But after reading these forums decided to bump it up a bit to see if I got better mpg's. Running 37 psi F/R. Haven't driven the car enough yet to see if the mpg's have gone up. But I'm getting 39.5 mpg all freeway driving.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ShotgunSi
I always ran what was on the door jam. But after reading these forums decided to bump it up a bit to see if I got better mpg's. Running 37 psi F/R. Haven't driven the car enough yet to see if the mpg's have gone up. But I'm getting 39.5 mpg all freeway driving.
Let us know what you've been getting after a few thousand more miles. Also, keep an eye on the tires to see if you get any unevern wear.... check the tread out with a gauge or a coin. Also, are these the stock tires? And, what model Fit do you have? Is the 39.5 on the gauge or calculated? thanks.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by einstein77
Let us know what you've been getting after a few thousand more miles. Also, keep an eye on the tires to see if you get any unevern wear.... check the tread out with a gauge or a coin. Also, are these the stock tires? And, what model Fit do you have? Is the 39.5 on the gauge or calculated? thanks.
Yup stock tires. 39.5 ish is calculated, the stupid computer is reading about 44-45 mpg.

My 5 fuel-up's so far. '09 Honda Fit Sport (5 Speed Manual) (Honda Fit) | Fuelly

Quick Reply: Preferred tire pressure?