2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why there are no manual fits out there...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
I'm sorry but the torque converter does not double torque. It also does not magically create torque. You get a loss in speed whenever you increase torque, just like changing gears.
Dyno any MT vehicle against its AT counterpart and the MT will have a higher wheel horsepower rating. This is all old and simple physics.

The EPA rating is higher for the AT because the AT is geared taller, meaning the engine speed is lower for any given vehicle speed, thus spewing less emissions.
And it's geared taller because the unlocking torque converter allows it to be and still keep momentum properly. The AT and MT get better mileage at different times due to different design, but higher MPG sir overall means no comparative drivetrain loss overall. Period.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
From Wikipedia:

"The classic three element torque converter has an efficiency curve that resembles an inverted "U": zero efficiency at stall, generally increasing efficiency during the acceleration phase and low efficiency in the coupling phase. The loss of efficiency as the converter enters the coupling phase is a result of the turbulence and fluid flow interference generated by the stator, and as previously mentioned, is commonly overcome by mounting the stator on a one-way clutch. Even with the benefit of the one-way stator clutch, a converter cannot achieve the same level of efficiency in the coupling phase as an equivalently sized fluid coupling. In automotive applications, where steady improvements in fuel economy have been mandated by market forces and government edict, the nearly universal use of a lock-up clutch has helped to eliminate the converter from the efficiency equation during cruising operation."

Not trying to crash your thread, not saying AT is superior, just saying MT guys need to give the AT concept a lot more respect. Maybe if they didn't talk shit on AT drivers so much those people would consider going to the other side and you wouldn't have this situation where they are going away.

Last edited by secondspassed; 12-07-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
The automatics are far better than they ever have been, with paddle shifters you do have much better control..... The torque converter and the ability to start off in 2nd gear makes for less slipping on ice or loose surfaces..... The biggest draw back I can see is the parasitic drain of power that is used to operate them on cars that have a relatively small amount of power to begin with.... I am thinking that there will be advances in CVT drive units in the near future that will even be used to maintain constant RPM operation of alternators, water pumps, air conditioners, power steering units, and the car itself.....The traction drive planetary unit used on Rotrex super chargers is an example and there are already cars operating in Europe with the type of system and I believe it has been used on on of the Saturn models over here..... The first example of this type of drive system was introduced as the NuVinci bicycle rear hub and it has been and is being tested for use in lots of different types of vehicles by manufacturers world wide.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
I think this will all be rendered irrelevant in the coming years by direct drive electric motors. Funniest Leno bit to date.

What ever happened to manual spark advance?

Old 12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Advance weights and vacuum advance followed by hall sensor monitors and solid state ignitions....There were still dash mounted units for manual use until the ECU systems started thinking it knew better than the owner driving the car what timing settings were best.... The last vehicle I rode that came with manual advance was an early 60s Harley-Davidson Sportster that had one controlled by a twist grip on the left side of the handlebar that actuated a cable to the magneto...... Retarding the ignition was a must if you didn't want to be launched over the handle bars while starting it and it could be retarded while decelerating after dropping into a lower gear to make some of the wildest backfiring sounds complete with flames exiting the exhaust..... The same bike also had an adjustable main jet needle that could be adjusted while riding.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
Auto wipers don't increase drivetrain loss of the wiper motor :P

So yes, people with autos are still too lazy, too uncoordinated, or too ADHD to drive a manual.
Say you are driving and your lover decides to give you some oral pleasure, the automatic driver is like "yeah baby" while the manual driver is like "hun there is a turn coming up... i need to downshift."

Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Say you are driving and your lover decides to give you some oral pleasure, the automatic driver is like "yeah baby" while the manual driver is like "hun there is a turn coming up... i need to downshift."
An experienced driver would have the good sense to continue going straight until he or she had reached the maximum degree of pleasure and then make a U turn... It isn't a difficult situation to remedy.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
An experienced driver would have the good sense to continue going straight until he or she had reached the maximum degree of pleasure and then make a U turn... It isn't a difficult situation to remedy.
Lol, I conceed my point.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Obviously, you didn't pay enough attention to those films they showed in driver's ed: "Remember, when you're in a car, use your head-don't give it!"

Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I clutch....she shifts multitasking

Old 12-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
holla.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
If you have her do that, be sure she has her hand on the correct knob or you might be injured.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by jmatero
You ma have noticed that getting a 2010 Fit sport Manual is pretty impossible right now. Two dealers told me this week Honda pretty much cut allocations of them for the US down to ZERO. When I asked why, they both said Honda didn't feel there would be a market as VSA is not available with manuals currently. Both said the 09 Sport Manual with Navi models flew off the lots when the 2010's showed up. There is ONE 2010 manual in the entire state of California right now.... the lots are FILLED with automatics. Seems like a blunder of immense proportions on Honda's part to ditch that model. I mean, a stripped toyota YARIS comes with stability control standard for Pete's sake.
My Fit is a manual. I drove the paddle shifter version and hated the lag, and lack of real shifting feel.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
This is a bit off topic, but I have read that a throttle controller takes care of the lag problem with the automatic

Old 12-08-2009, 04:24 PM
If you have her do that, be sure she has her hand on the correct knob or you might be injured.
5th gear. cruise control. lean back.

also, i got my windows tinted, all 9 of them...lol.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Last year we had to order Fit Sports with MT and Navi. There weren't any in the US on dealer lots. Dealers all over the midwest advertised them in their inventories, but they were phantom cars. Honda apparently built the whole batch on two days in November of 2008. See this thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...uild-date.html

It took until the middle of January to receive the car. It was a great night to try out the VSA on the way home.

15,000 miles later (and all over the USA), no regrets. Tried the auto. Always shifting to a lower gear in cruise control. Never could get the idea of an auto in a little car.

Cheers.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member

What I hate to hear is how Honda dealers don't care about their service departments..... If you work in a dealership I am sure you did get a better deal than I did but I don't have to lie to make a living and my Fit will smoke yours.
Thanks Prick. way to take things out of context. We don't order vehicle based on what vehicle need more service. And I don't lie to make a living. And I don't give a Shit if your Fit is faster.

How about showing a little respect. Now I know why I don't come here anymore. And i paid MSRP just like you did in OCT 06

Last edited by Stevens24; 12-10-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stevens24
Thanks Prick. way to take things out of context. We don't order vehicle based on what vehicle need more service. And I don't lie to make a living. And I don't give a Shit if your Fit is faster. FUCK YOU

How about showing a little respect. Now I know why I don't come here anymore. And i paid MSRP just like you did in OCT 06
yikes. he was attributing something I said to you (understandable with our catchy usernames). You work at a dealership? You get many return customers?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
yikes. he was attributing something I said to you (understandable with our catchy usernames). You work at a dealership? You get many return customers?
Actually he was responding to my point that sales orders vehicle based on sales and not cost of service. As far as return customers yes I do. It takes a lot to get me upset like that. But for someone to call me a liar who doesn't know me or hasn't met me is disrespectful and has become all to common here.

I simply offer some insight into the production schedule and point out that service cost does not factor into sales dept orders and he states that I "lie to make a living" and "don't care about the service dept"

Old 12-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Here the MT GE8 is more then $1100 cheaper then the exact same GE8 with automatic. And its clearly better in performance too. According to the official honda website its faster, lighter and it definately has better fuel economy regardless of what EPA says.

I wouldn't even get an automatic if it was the same price as the MT. And I can personally vouch for how much fun a MT really is. I really enjoy shifting to the next gear, trying to rev match it and then letting go of the clutch. Trying to get the instant and smooth transition each time is so addictive. I highly recommend getting a MT. This really sounds cliche but its the truth.

Probably the only time I would buy an automatic is when I buy a hybrid or a single speed electrical car. But now MT offers so much more its is cheaper to boot. I drive in heavy traffic sometimes too and its really not hard at all. And you dont have to do anything at all once you are in the 5th gear. Its not like you constantly have to operate the knob and clutch. But trust me you'll want to shift all day anyway.

And for turns or traffic lights. I just pop it in neutral, take the turn, then select the right gear, rev match it and start shifting again. I use engine braking alot too to control my speeds while preserving my brakes and fuel economy. Its just too much fun.

The manual shift boot looks alot better then the automatic too. The stock manual shift knob makes the jazz look luxurious while I think the automatic looks ugly. Well I just dont see any reason to get an automatic. None at all. Except maybe in mountains.

Quick Reply: Why there are no manual fits out there...