2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why there are no manual fits out there...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
BALONEY!
The only practical advantage autos have over manuals is for people that often drive in heavy stop and go traffic. Every other practical advantage is to the manuals.
(I don't consider idiotproof-ness a legitimate advantage)

Lower initial cost, lighter weight, better fuel economy, better power delivery, lower maintenance, better reliability, better longevity.
Also, better legroom/comfort is a major advantage. Shorties might nt care, but I'm stingy with my legroom! You can stretch you left leg in that space, don't have to keep your left foot "on notice" for any gear changes, don't have the lever hitting your/your passenger's knees when inbthe 1-2 and 5-R gates. It's less an issue in a larger car, but in a super-narrow car like the fit, it's a bit tricky. Also, no interferance with the armrest is a plus.

In a car the size of the Fit, it's nice to gain extra driver room wherever possible.

Last edited by Occam; 12-02-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
It's just not a priority for the typical American car buyer...and as MTs become more scarce, less people will know how to drive them, further reducing demand. I suspect that in another 20 years, if you want an MT in the US you will have to buy a "premium" brand or a stripped-down entry-level car because if you want A/C and a radio, it will be bundled with AT!
That's basically where we are. Aside from a small but vocal minority on the fringe of the carbuying market, the only real demand for manuals are the performance size of the market (and how long will that last once the Dualclutch boxes become more mainstream?) The bottom end of the market supports vehicles with manuals mainly due to cost savings, but when is the last time you saw a car so cheap it had hand-cranked windows or cheap vinyl seats? It'll be down to Hyundais and BMWs.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Do you notice the number of people in this thread trying to rationalize why they bought an automatic?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Do you notice the number of people in this thread trying to rationalize why they bought an automatic?
Atlanta traffic.*

As far as the topic is concerned, it seems that everyone wanting a manual 2010 is able to get one without waiting. Doesn't seem like a shortage; seems like they have the market pegged. Problem is that so few people want one that it kinda limits your choices if you want a manual.

*edit: and I really didn't like the way the manual Fit behaved when I drove it. Maybe that was because it only had 6 miles on it, but it wanted to hold rpms when I shifted, like the throttle was stuck. Made for very sloppy shifting if you're not in a hurry (most of the time). Do they all do this? It was an unpleasant experience. I've had manual VW's (3), Toyotas (1), Izuzus (2), Jeeps (1), Citroens (1), Chevies (1) and enjoyed the hell out of them.

Last edited by Steve244; 12-02-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Why does everybody act like its a huge chore to drive a stick in traffic???

Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Why does everybody act like its a huge chore to drive a stick in traffic???
not huge, but chore is an apt description if 90% of your driving is going to be in rush-hour commutes at 0-40mph going in a straight line.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't see much rationalization, unless there are many who wanted manuals but bought automatics instead. What I do see are lots of people weighing the convenience and comfort advantages of one vs the cost saving and sportiness of the other. Many of the traditional advantages of a manual have become less pronounced as automatics have improved, with 5 forward gears, manual gear selection, and lockup torque converters. It's always a balancing act to choose between the two, and there have been no real improvements or changes to manuals - it's only natural that improving the automatics and leaving the manuals as the are will shift more people to the auto-buying column. I've had six different manuals, and this is my second automatic. Essentially all of my major beefs have been aleviated, and the fit simply does not have room for a comfortably operated stick shift for tall guys. If the Fit had more legroom, a stick mounted away from my knees, and a crummy 4-speed slushbox like my CR-V had, i'd have a stick right now.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Atlanta traffic.*

*edit: and I really didn't like the way the manual Fit behaved when I drove it. Maybe that was because it only had 6 miles on it, but it wanted to hold rpms when I shifted, like the throttle was stuck. Made for very sloppy shifting if you're not in a hurry (most of the time). Do they all do this? It was an unpleasant experience. I've had manual VW's (3), Toyotas (1), Izuzus (2), Jeeps (1), Citroens (1), Chevies (1) and enjoyed the hell out of them.
The drive by wire throttle slows the throttle response to improve fuel mileage.... That is easily corrected by installing a throttle controller that allows you to quicken or slow the response to suit the way you drive.....I hope to be receiving the one I ordered in a few days.... There are numerous guys that are using or have ordered a T/C for there automatic equipped cars also.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The drive by wire throttle slows the throttle response to improve fuel mileage.... That is easily corrected by installing a throttle controller that allows you to quicken or slow the response to suit the way you drive.....I hope to be receiving the one I ordered in a few days.... There are numerous guys that are using or have ordered a T/C for there automatic equipped cars also.
interesting... this might be something for the people lurching into first on their autos...

I perceive some feathering of the throttle when the auto shifts (but maybe that's my imagination). All things considered I like the way the throttle/auto transmission combination behave.

edit: If this is it, I don't see the rpms drop faster in different modes. It seems to increase throttle response (more throttle in response to accelerator movement). link

Last edited by Steve244; 12-02-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 PM
HAHA I would rep you if i knew how.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:33 PM
not huge, but chore is an apt description if 90% of your driving is going to be in rush-hour commutes at 0-40mph going in a straight line.
To me driving a stick in any traffic condition is reflex. As you yourself have driven more MT cars than I have, I was just assuming it is the same for everybody. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out, that is not the case. It just seems that when people see my car is MT they ask why I would want a MT in detroit traffic.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Everybody rationalizes that what they bought is the best (at least for them). If you look hard at yourself you're no different.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 PM
As with most new technologies, I believe many are reluctant to push there old ways behind them. The same is true for a manual transmission vs. an automatic.

Sure, being that I'm 23 years old, both transmissions have been offered throughout my life time. So this is my outlook:

For some people, the ease of an automatic outways the "hassle" of driving a manual transmission. It's true. If you prefer to chat on your cell phone, sip starbucks, change the baby, and eat fast food all while attempting to stay in your lane then maybe an automatic is for you.

But for the latter, those who prefer a more sensual driving experience, i present to you, the manual transmission. A direct connection between you, the transmission, the motor, the car. You control your car and what it does. It is your b*tch. Gas. Clutch. Shift. GO.

Specifically for the Honda Fit, buyer goes to the dealer thinking, "I'll take either-or", then they get to the dealer and there's a whole bunch of automatics without a manual to be found.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
But for the latter, those who prefer a more sensual driving experience, i present to you, the manual transmission. A direct connection between you, the transmission, the motor, the car. You control your car and what it does. It is your b*tch. Gas. Clutch. Shift. GO.

YES!... The interaction is like sex with a responsive partner opposed to one that is holding back.... You are going to get there sooner or later but the interaction along the way is the part that makes it memorable and wanting to go back for more.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member

YES!... The interaction is like sex with a responsive partner opposed to one that is holding back.... You are going to get there sooner or later but the interaction along the way is the part that makes it memorable and wanting to go back for more.

a manual seems a bit like necrophilia; you do all the work. the auto responds to me with a mind of her own.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
a manual seems a bit like necrophilia; you do all the work. the auto responds to me with a mind of her own.
I think that someone that sees it the way you do doesn't like to put much into satisfying your partner.... Oh wow she moved I must have hurt her.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Is anyone else noticing a pattern here (and most other places where this topic is discussed.)?

Folks who buy automatics tend to say "well, I looked a the costs and benefits, and this is what works for me.

Folks who buy sticks tend to have a great need to try and convert the masses. Whether it is by quoting the speculative advantages or deriding the purchases and/or Erving abilities of others.

Because after all, nobody who bought an automatic could possibly have done so knowing the difference, or have extensive experience with both. Better insult them into buying a car that makes you happy.

The simple answer to the threads original question? Because less people want them. Same reason it's hard to find car seats or airline seats that are comfortable for long-legged folks - it's not a large enough demand by a large enough swath of the population to make business sense.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
I think that someone that sees it the way you do doesn't like to put much into satisfying your partner.... Oh wow she moved I must have hurt her.
yeah but a manual... that's so... phallic.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Better insult them into buying a car that makes you happy.
agreed........

Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
People whose views among the population are shrinking generally feel a defiant urge to swing things back the other way. Unfortunately, that's just not the way things are going to move.

Quick Reply: Why there are no manual fits out there...