2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why there are no manual fits out there...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Ordered a red 10 sport manual two weeks ago and I found out today that it wont even built until June. I would say that Honda needs to up production on these cars.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
There was a waiting list in 2006 for manual Fits..... I waited 6 or 8 weeks and got numerous calls from dealerships wanting to unload automatic equipped cars before the car I wanted showed up 125 miles away.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Something seems fishy with this whole thing. Like Texas Coyote states, this was going on back in 2006. Honda has not caught on 4 years later? Are they are trying to steer people into automatics for some reason? I really don't get it.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Be Patient, 2010 Fit Sport Manual

Originally Posted by Vash
i had the same problem. they were like "who wants manual anymore? just get an automatic".... and then i walked out of that dealer ship and went to another honda dealer.
You can get the 5spd manual Sport, you just have to be patient. I spoke to my local Oregon Honda dealer, who gave me the usual, "everyone buys an AT," I told them that I would only buy a 5spd and at the same relative price (sticker -$X). Two weeks later they called and said did I want silver or white.

2010 Fit Sport
Taffeta White, 5spd

Old 02-10-2010, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 954rrmike
Ordered a red 10 sport manual two weeks ago and I found out today that it wont even built until June. I would say that Honda needs to up production on these cars.
When we ordered our M/T Navi in October of 2008 we found out we had to wait until they built them in a batch. I wonder if they build so few that they are sold out until they build a batch in June.

Cheers

Old 02-10-2010, 10:20 PM
The dealer said I can have Black or Orange by the end of April. I am set on the red so I think I will keep it ordered and see what happens. Kind of disappointing though.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
Something seems fishy with this whole thing. Like Texas Coyote states, this was going on back in 2006. Honda has not caught on 4 years later? Are they are trying to steer people into automatics for some reason? I really don't get it.
Cell phones and fast food sales is all I can think of that benefits from people that drive with one hand and less than half of their brain..... Oh yeah it is something that benefits jack off idiots and wankers also I guess.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Until they start making them in the US and/or Canada, the wait will exist. I am in Japan and I still had to wait 2 months to take delivery of mine. With the economy the way it is, I would expect longer waits than normal. Why, well first off, even when I bought my 5R Integra back in March of 2003, I didn't take delivery until June of 2003. Honda doesn't stock lots full of cars and normally builds them as ordered, at least here in Japan this is what it seems like. Obviously in the US it is not exactly this way as there are still plenty of cars on the lots of dealers, I guess to appease the public. If one were to think about it though, that is bad business practice, having a lot full of cars gives the consumer an advantage of knocking down the price. There is no haggling here in Japan, the price is the price. I think this was also a major contributing factor to the US big 3 crisis, producing more product then was needed and then having to give enormous rebates just to move them.

Horrible business practice in my eyes.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 02-10-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Until they start making them in the US and/or Canada, the wait will exist. I am in Japan and I still had to wait 2 months to take delivery of mine.
Kanagawa?

Formerly of Sapporo, Tokyo, and Yokohama. No Hondas in those years, though.

Cheers.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
Kanagawa?

Formerly of Sapporo, Tokyo, and Yokohama. No Hondas in those years, though.

Cheers.
Hai soudesu working on Zama living in Yamato-Shi. Will always be a Honda for me.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by know-nothin
They can charge a lot more to repair an automatic transmission than a manual.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Only up to a point. Does this sales database take into account people who wanted a manual but bought an auto because they couldn't get one? Does it count the people who gave up trying to get a manual and ended up buying a different car?
Probably not. I wouldn't buy a Fit if I couldn't get a manual. However, whatever your reasons for buying an auto over a manual, whatever the situation, it's still a face value action that points the market into one direction or other.

I guess we'll all have to go and buy a Civic Si instead!

At any rate, fight for your right to shift! Buy a manual, if that is what you want.

Last edited by MisterCivilised; 02-11-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
What is surprising to me is there are people waiting in line to buy these cars and the average person on the street hasn't even heard of a Honda Fit.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:51 AM
laame. Im trying to find me a manual 08 but none. good luck finding one for any year haha

Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't let anyone con me into thinking an automatic will please me if I were you....There is a big difference between the performance of an automatic and manual Fit.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Only up to a point. Does this sales database take into account people who wanted a manual but bought an auto because they couldn't get one? Does it count the people who gave up trying to get a manual and ended up buying a different car?
I'd think the DB does. These are Automatic Fit buyers even if the "wanted" a manual. What really matters is what someone ends up purchasing... unfortunately. If someone really wants a manual, they'd have ordered or held out so if someone settles, they are a auto buyer.

As for my local dealer, right now they've got 7 Fits on the lot (5 sport). 1 Sport and 1 Base are manual Trans and the next closest dealer also has 7 (3 base - 2 are manual and all auto sports). When I bought mine, it took the dealer 3 days to get exactly what I wanted (TW 5sp sport.)

~SB

Old 02-11-2010, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
If one were to think about it though, that is bad business practice, having a lot full of cars gives the consumer an advantage of knocking down the price.
Well, the other side of the coin is that with all that choice, some customers will just move on to their second choice and it may not be a Honda. I think the best business practice is to have product for people when they are ready to buy. Consumers are very fickle, fit freaks notwithstanding.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Well, I guess I got lucky yesterday... really would prefer a MT Sport but as we all know they generally are rare AND somewhere else. We live in western Montana, so I'd pretty much resigned myself to the fact that if I wanted a MT it was going to involve a long wait or a long drive.

We'd test driven an AT a few weeks ago and liked it well enough. Called the local dealer yesterday and asked what their stock was like, and by chance did they have any manual Sports? "No, we only have those in auto, blah blah..." We got down to the dealer to take another look at color options and I notice a Sport in blue sensation with a much lower price on the sticker. Asked the salesman. "Um... that must be.... um... a manual!"

It's in our garage now... as you can guess, it's a blast to drive and feels like a totally different car than the auto. It's just *right*.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:51 PM
dgs
What's up with all you people talking about special ordering? I didn't think Honda took special orders. Plus I always thought of special orders being for more luxury brands like Audi or BMW. Basically with Honda what's on the lots is what you get. I would have loved a blackberry pearl Fit instead of my white one, but the dealership's response to that was, "There may be a blackberry pearl with navi and a manual transmission on our lot in the future, but there might not be either. Then if the white one gets sold you're really SOL." So I took the white one, but there was never any discussion about some kind of special order with Honda for a blackberry pearl with navi/manual. The dealership told me Honda allocates a certain number of cars in specific transmission choices and the dealerships have to take what they're given. If they want something different they have to trade with another dealership, period.

I really don't know how you people are able to do this. I have never heard of a Honda dealership placing a custom order for anyone, so you guys must have a special relationship with the President of your dealership or something, because that is not normal for an economy car. Please tell me how you're placing special orders for your Honda Fits, because this is a new one for me.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
It's not about special ordering or somebody having a relationship with the dealership, it is about you are buying a brand new car and if what you want is not on the lot, then the dealer should try to find you one and make a trade with another dealer or place an order with Honda. What it boils down to is you were not persistent and your dealer is a lazy schmuck. If you really wanted another color, you should of went searching for another dealer if the one you chose really didn't want to do right by you. I would never step foot into that dealership again and would also send a letter to Honda corporate over the transaction. Though in the end, nobody put a gun to your head and told you that you had to buy white if you wanted purple. It's just like the people that just settle for the automatic if they really wanted a manual. The purchaser is doing the favor to the company not the other way around.

Like I said here in Japan, you have to order the car, there is no lot full of vehicles to choose from. It's too bad that business is not done this way stateside, but I have a good feeling as to why it is not.

Quick Reply: Why there are no manual fits out there...