2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

fit & finish of cargo cover kind of sub-par...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
fit & finish of cargo cover kind of sub-par...

I just installed the cargo cover on my 2010 and am sort of unimpressed with the gap at the rear window that provides anyone with a flashlight at night a good slice to peer through. Also the nylon cords that just kind of bend and smoosh arbitrarily between the cover and window when closed look more "home-brew" than stock. I was hoping the "hard" cover would look much more permanent.

I guess it's still better than a shade type cover; I've had shade covers in other cars (Subaru Impreza, and Isuzu Trooper), and in both cases the shade acted more like an advertisement that something good was hiding underneath. Both cars suffered break-ins with the cover drawn. I've also had a hatchback car with a very good hard rear cover (1984 Toyota Camry)- street parked in NYC without ever a problem.

I'm thinking about installing an extra felt strip on the cover to block the gap.. What do you think?

Old 11-24-2009, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
My advice would be to get your rear windows tinted. I have 15% tint on the rear windows and I have never noticed the gap, even in daylight. Plus it will keep the inside cooler!

Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
This is just a wild guess, but it seems like the cargo cover is contoured to sit flush with the rear, and the gap is about as large as the distance needed to recline the rear seat. Try reclining the rear seat (pull lever, push back), and see how much tighter the gap is. Pls take a photo because I'm curious now too...

Old 11-24-2009, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
I'm thinking about just getting some stiff cardboard, cutting it to size, and covering it with automotive carpet. I would do it with plywood but then there would be a slight decapitation risk for my passengers.

Also, lower your comprehensive deductible.

(Not thats its really any good if this happens often because if you file more than 2 claims in 3 years with any 'standard' auto insurer you'll get a non-renewal notice and be forced to puurchase a more expensive 'non-standard' line of insurance which will cost typically about double.)

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 11-24-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:07 AM
there is reason behind the gap. It is to allow the board from hitting the inner side of the rear door while driving on sloppy road .. otherwise u will get that rattling sound from the board

Old 11-24-2009, 07:41 AM
I have the same cover, and I have no gaps, or slack on the string. That gap allowing on lookers to peer through, is not present. Check if collegehills has a installation video. On the front part of the cover,(where snaps into place) you may need to pull back till it snaps firmly. The front part should set flush to what it is mounted to.There seems to be more tension on my strings. When I open my hatch, the cover lifts up properly.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dayzeedawg
On the front part of the cover,(where snaps into place) you may need to pull back till it snaps firmly. [...] There seems to be more tension on my strings. When I open my hatch, the cover lifts up properly.
It definitely is seated all the way back (it did "click" into place on the pegs). There's no way it can go any further back because of that, and also there are two littile rubber shock absorbers (about the thickness of the gap) attached to the shelf that sit against the trunk lid when closed.

The strings are the correct length- if you check I bet you do have it, it probably just hangs below the cover when closed- I'm guessing your strings just hang correctly. My strings are fully taught when open and the lid lifts up to the right height.

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm gonna need to got the extra felt route.

Last edited by cruiserandmax; 11-24-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:11 AM
There is a little bit of a gap, but I have gone out there with a flashlight...it's really hard to tell if something is in there. If I was a thief looking for an easy smash-and-grab mark, I'd choose something a little more promising!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
There is a little bit of a gap, but I have gone out there with a flashlight...it's really hard to tell if something is in there. If I was a thief looking for an easy smash-and-grab mark, I'd choose something a little more promising!
Get it tinted. Another bonus of rear tint is cutting down glare at night. I do not need to use my day/night mirror switch.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
i cant imagine anyone really being able to see through tthat crack, day, night, flashlight, or not flashlight.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
I got in the back seat with the hatch closed and did some observing....

I can barely fit my finger through the gap, and only on certain points of the cover.
and I have small hands.

In addition, my strings fall nicely down between the sides and do not bunch up at all like your picture. They go straight down from the mount and land on the far side of the rubber stopper. Yours look like they are on the inside of the stopper? Maybe check how your strings are hooked/hanging, because mine do not look at all like that.

And for one more...tinting will help a lot with people trying to look in, as others have mentioned. I paid 125 for my tint all around 35% in the front and 20% in the rear. No visibility lost, and looks great as well!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
And for one more...tinting will help a lot with people trying to look in, as others have mentioned. I paid 125 for my tint all around 35% in the front and 20% in the rear. No visibility lost, and looks great as well!
The tinting does look good! Honestly I've never had windows tinted.. Is all aftermarket tinting basically some version of applying a film to the glass? Is there any particular type of tinting that's better (like guaranteed) not to discolor and bubble off after many years? If the tinting ever does start to go south- is re-tinting (getting off the failing tint) a big deal? Have you ever had tint break down? The window that would concern me most would be the rear with the defroster wires..

I guess I have to do some tinting research.. But I'd be glad for any opinions you have!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
I have the cargo cover installed and I don't have that gap nor do I get rattle when I'm driving on rough roads...

Old 11-24-2009, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
You will want to shop around for a good, reputable tint shop.
There are a few good films, but I can't remember all of the names (sorry).
There are some threads on here, an entire GE Tint Thread in, fact...

If you need any more help, let me know.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cruiserandmax
The tinting does look good! Honestly I've never had windows tinted.. Is all aftermarket tinting basically some version of applying a film to the glass? Is there any particular type of tinting that's better (like guaranteed) not to discolor and bubble off after many years? If the tinting ever does start to go south- is re-tinting (getting off the failing tint) a big deal? Have you ever had tint break down? The window that would concern me most would be the rear with the defroster wires..

I guess I have to do some tinting research.. But I'd be glad for any opinions you have!
I've had the regular metallic tint on my old Accord for 10 years without any bubbling, fading, or peeling. Just make sure you go to a reputable shop, most of them will have a lifetime warranty on the tint.