2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

need opinions on Fit purchase '09 vs '10

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by babalooo

1. On the inside of the door of the '09 it said it was made 10/08. I don't know exactly when the car arrived at the dealership, but in total it's been "hanging around" for over a year, no? It has 25 miles on it. Should I be concerned about the battery going dead, the tires drying out, or the fluids not being "fresh" since at only 25 miles, it hasn't moved around much. It's possible this car has been in the dealer's garage most of the time. The saleman said he could put in a new battery.
I would not be concerned with this. The biggest concern I'd have is if it sat outside, but even then that's not really a concern (clay bar and wax). There is time from the "date manufactured" to when its put on a boat in Japan, then shipped across the Pacific, then delivered to the west coast, and then put on a train and transported further east.

Its a brand new car, not to mention a brand new Honda. I see low mileage collector cars that are 15-20 years old, rarely driven and people still snatch them up with no concern about the car not being driven. We're talking about a brand new Honda sitting on the lot. Its not even broken in, its ready to go!

If it sat for a year, with motor oil that had been ran 8K miles in the engine then you could worry a little more. The fluids are fresh and new still.

When I got my Fit I didn't even look at the manufacture date, but it was sitting in a dealership warehouse with plastic wrap all over it.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your replies, everyone.
Apparently there are no light colors w/Nav coming in the rest of the year to S. FL.
I think this is the second time you have said "in the rest of the year" ... considering that it's November.. "the rest of the year" doesn't mean much.

How soon do you really wish/need to get a new car?

Have you tried expanding your search a little bit?

Obviously light colors in the Florida sun is probably a good thing.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Dan, did you get one with Nav? If so, 18.5 with Tax/tags is great.
Oh CRAP! I'm so sorry- I missed that detail. In that case yes, that makes a difference. I would STILL be working to collapse that dealer fee down though. But shoot, I stand corrected. Sorry 'bout that.

Dan

Old 11-25-2009, 10:58 PM
backberry pearl is a poor selling color on a Honda Fit.
would be interesting to see the top 3 color choices or the total percentage sales for each color.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:37 AM
dgs
Originally Posted by canuck901
backberry pearl is a poor selling color on a Honda Fit.
would be interesting to see the top 3 color choices or the total percentage sales for each color.
That is because it's so rare. Want a red, white, black, or silver, no problem, they are everywhere. Blackberry pearl must be a color made in limited quantities because there was not a single blackberry pearl with manual trans and navi in a surrounding six state search. I had the dealership Internet manager then expand his search even further and he finally found one in New York state. The shipping charges on it were going to be pretty steep, so instead I chose the white one in my sig that was only 600 miles away. I had them put that on a flatbed truck and it cost me $350, as opposed to the one in New York which would have cost me $1,100. As much as I love the color I could not justify the shipping expense. There were other colors with the manual trans/navi combo closer, but the white one was the closest, and I figured if I wasn't able to get my favorite color then I would pay for the cheapest shipping with the car closest to me.

Also, I live in a very hot state, it is hotter here than Florida. Trust me when I say that, as I lived in Miami for 10 years and the summers here in Dallas have FL summers beat by a long shot. The exterior of the car doesn't matter, it's the interior, and since our cars are all black it's still going to be real hot in the sun. The summer was brutal this year and the A/C was only adequate at cooling the car when it was 110 degrees out. That would not have changed had the car been black, or red, or whatever. So wanting a light colored car in a hot state is a myth as far as heat control. Buy a black car with a light colored interior or a white car with a black interior and I promise you the white car will be hotter inside than the black one.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:59 AM
blackberry pearl is not a rare color, its available just like any other color.
but really, Who wants a purple metallica car? ;0 not I
its alright for a chick i guess lol

Honda dropped blackberry pearl for 2010 on the FIT in canada, i am surprised its still available in the US.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
If I'm not mistaken, the '09 and the '10 are identical [in specs and features]. That one mention of depreciation is also inaccurate, in my opinion/research. I bought my '09 about a month ago and had the same concerns and plugged the numbers into a few reseller websites (like Blue Book and Edmunds) and, when considering the same generation and comparable mileage, the difference in value was negligible (~$100).

Obviously, experiences vary. But that's mine.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Every car is going to depreciate at least 7-15% per year, Fits not excluded. While buying a new '10 now and driving it off the lot at the same time someone drives an '09 off the lot and you both have the same mileage, the '09 will still be considered older and take a full year's depreciation simply because '10s are out. But all this is really pointless if you don't ever sell the car anyways and drive it for it's entire life, in which case the '09 at a cheaper price would be a good deal.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
That is because it's so rare. Want a red, white, black, or silver, no problem, they are everywhere. Blackberry pearl must be a color made in limited quantities because there was not a single blackberry pearl with manual trans and navi in a surrounding six state search. I had the dealership Internet manager then expand his search even further and he finally found one in New York state. The shipping charges on it were going to be pretty steep, so instead I chose the white one in my sig that was only 600 miles away. I had them put that on a flatbed truck and it cost me $350, as opposed to the one in New York which would have cost me $1,100. As much as I love the color I could not justify the shipping expense. There were other colors with the manual trans/navi combo closer, but the white one was the closest, and I figured if I wasn't able to get my favorite color then I would pay for the cheapest shipping with the car closest to me.

Also, I live in a very hot state, it is hotter here than Florida. Trust me when I say that, as I lived in Miami for 10 years and the summers here in Dallas have FL summers beat by a long shot. The exterior of the car doesn't matter, it's the interior, and since our cars are all black it's still going to be real hot in the sun. The summer was brutal this year and the A/C was only adequate at cooling the car when it was 110 degrees out. That would not have changed had the car been black, or red, or whatever. So wanting a light colored car in a hot state is a myth as far as heat control. Buy a black car with a light colored interior or a white car with a black interior and I promise you the white car will be hotter inside than the black one.
I call BS. I would have bought one of the 4-5 '09 AT Sports that were sitting around the dealer's lot if they hadn't be a certain color... wonder what that might be.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Just to let you all know in a nutshell, on Black Friday I negotiated the car down to $18,500 including dealer fees (which I was incorrect, it was $648.50, not $700) plus tax and title. So I believe it was a fair price (and I am liking the Blackberry Pearl more and more)!

One thing to note, the battery died that night and I had to get a jump and go to the dealer to get a new battery today....the car was sitting in the lot too long I guess. But I've been driving around town today and am loving it!

Thanks again to all your comments, it was very helpful to hear from you all!

Old 11-29-2009, 02:14 AM
dgs
Just to let you all know in a nutshell, on Black Friday I negotiated the car down to $18,500 including dealer fees (which I was incorrect, it was $648.50, not $700) plus tax and title. So I believe it was a fair price (and I am liking the Blackberry Pearl more and more)!

One thing to note, the battery died that night and I had to get a jump and go to the dealer to get a new battery today....the car was sitting in the lot too long I guess. But I've been driving around town today and am loving it!

Thanks again to all your comments, it was very helpful to hear from you all!
Congratulations! I think you made the smart decision. I have to admit, I'm a little jealous, I wish there had been a blackberry pearl available when I bought mine. After a fresh car wash I bet it's gorgeous in the sun. Too many white, silver, and black cars on the road, boring!

Enjoy it. Mine has been rock solid in the 10 months I've owned it, not one thing has gone wrong. It's a fantastic little car. Welcome to the Fit family!