2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit is at 40k: Long term maintenence report.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Fit is at 65k: Long term maintenence report.

40,000 miles on my 2009 Fit, and the warranty is long gone. Thankfully there's not much to say but here's an update on my experience:

Maintenance Events/Issues:
-Oil. So far I have changed the oil 5 times. I did my first change at ~ 7k. The first 4 changes were at the dealer (because its cheap ~$22). I just switched over to Mobil 1 0w-20 Fuel Economy with a OEM filter from College Hills Honda for my fifth change. I never have lost or burned any oil, but it has always had a smell of gasoline to it (google: fuel dilution if you are interested in this topic).
-Door Gaskets. The driver's door rubber gasket has a small hole and tear in it where my foot regularly rubs over it. I will probably tape this area soon. No big deal.
-Tires. I have rolled the stock Dunlops without any balance or rotation so far. The front tires are now bald and probably should have been replaced around 33k. The rear tires look almost brand new. I have mostly kept the pressure at 40psi and the treadwear on all tires is very even. I will have two new Dunlops tomorrow.
-Filters. New oil filter at every change. Engine air and cabin filters replaced around 28k.

EDIT: It's at 65k now
-I am still doing oil changes about every 10k. Mobil 1 synthetic FTW!
-Just put in the 3rd set of air filters.
-Still @ 40 psi in the tires
-Put new 4 new tires on today and had alignment done. I was able to take the six Dunlops (mentioned above) a good ways: 65,000 miles. If you do the math, that equivalent to a set of 4 running 43,000 miles. Considering the poor reputation of these tires, thats OK with me. I believe I could have gone another 10-15k on these tires but I needed an alignment and figured that I would do it all at once.
I have switched to these tires now:
Kumho Solus KH16
(You may notice these are not stock sized tires, just FYI.
They ride A LOT more smoothly, and are cheaper, fit well, and are rated much better for treadwear than the OE tires.

No other issues!

Last edited by BlackUp; 08-24-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:40 AM
I just got myself a new Fit, and I'm wondering what other maintenance you have done and at what mileage.

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2009, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
I'll edit this into my original post. Forgot to mention that I did the engine air filter and the cabin pollen filter that I bought from College Hills Honda. Other than that I have done nothing else.

Honda specifies an inspection for the code that I just cleared (B1) but I did that inspection myself. Dunno if my dealer would do if for free but I have read of folks paying 100$ for this.

Last edited by BlackUp; 11-16-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Nice report.

I'm curious... Why didn't you rotate your tires?

When my stock tire wear out, I won't replace mine with OEM tires. There are better choices out there.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:14 PM
This makes me feel great about my decision to buy the Fit.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
40 psi always amazes me for the stock tires. I keep mine at 33 and they give me a firm ride. When I have to top them off occasionally, I can feel the difference right away, and I mean my fronts will dip to maybe 30 back in the summer. But FOURTY? I can't imagine the ride on 40. If 33 is firm, 40 must bounce you around like a rubber ball.

How long did it take you to hit 40k miles?

Also, I'm confused about the B1 code you cleared. What is that? I'd certainly like to avoid a 100 dollar charge to clear that. God I hate code lights. It's the one thing I'm not looking forward to- code lights. It brings me back to my last car, when any moment the dreaded yellow check engine would appear.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 11-16-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
I'm curious... Why didn't you rotate your tires?
I was curious if I would get better mileage with less tread, as some have indicated on a different forum. I thought about rotating when the tread really started to get low, but I figured, hell, if I wait until winter I will have 4 nearly brand new tires for my trip from SC, back home to MI. The alternative would have been having 4 mediocre-treaded tires for my trip, or even replacing all 4. Also, If I keep doing it this way, I bet I can go to 80k, buy two more tires, then hit 120k and buy a whole new set. That would average out to 60k per 4 tires... which considering how fast the Dunlops wear, thats not bad.

Originally Posted by Virtual
When my stock tire wear out, I won't replace mine with OEM tires. There are better choices out there.
I thought about it, but I still have 2 nearly brand new Dunlops on the rear, so I'll have a matching set.

Also, tirerack is only showing 4 different tires: Tire Search Results
I live in SC, so the Blizzacks would not be worth it, as I imagine I would take an MPG hit.
As for the Bridgestones, the wear-rating is a 300, as compared to 340 with the Dunlops. The speed rating of the Dunlops is also higher than the Bridgestones. Plus, the Dunlops are 32$ cheaper per tire.

Last edited by BlackUp; 11-16-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:23 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I can't imagine the ride on 40. If 33 is firm, 40 must bounce you around like a rubber ball.
I ran mine at 45 in front, 40 in the rear. A bunch of folks run them at 50 or 55, trying to save gas. The ride is firm but not harsh. I didn't like running the stockers at more than 45/40 because control suffered too much.
Also, I'm confused about the B1 code you cleared. What is that? I'd certainly like to avoid a 100 dollar charge to clear that. God I hate code lights.
It's a service code, B1. It appears next to the service indicator. The owner's manual tells you what that code means in terms of what service to perform, as well as how to reset the service indicator.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Better check your plugs if you suspect fuel dilution. My last car had this problem and it fouled the plugs real quick. Then again, there was also tons of blow by.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by BlackUp
Also, tirerack is only showing 4 different tires: Tire Search Results
I live in SC, so the Blizzacks would not be worth it, as I imagine I would take an MPG hit.
As for the Bridgestones, the wear-rating is a 300, as compared to 340 with the Dunlops. The speed rating of the Dunlops is also higher than the Bridgestones. Plus, the Dunlops are 32$ cheaper per tire.
I think I will be going with the Dunlops also. They are cheaper and my Bridgestones will be dead by 20k. I never rotated them, the wear is even except for my drivers side rear which had 7/32 left compared to 4/32 the rest of the way around. I was contemplating a winter tire but I am not sure if I should. Lately we haven't had any crazy snow here and last year I didn't have a problem even with 3 inches of snow. I don't travel when it snows if I can help it.

I am glad to hear you've had not real issues. I only have a complaint about the windows rattling open at almost any place. I think that is normal. The accord sounded similar. I am awaiting my new air filter and I have only changed my oil once and will in a few miles (20% life left currently) I will change it again. My mileage is also increasing ever so slightly.

EDIT: I also run my tires at ~40psi front and rear

Last edited by dtmbmw325i; 11-16-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Nothing wrong at all with 40psi...that definitely doesn't make the car stiff...maybe a bit firmer, but not still by any means.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Gotch ya on the 40psi. I don't notice any problems at 33, in terms of wear or handling. Except maybe I always feel like I'm not doing quite as good as other people on gas mileage. Maybe this is a direct cause. I guess I could try 40. I can always take the air back out if it's not to my liking.

Dan

Old 11-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Banned
Wow you're putting some miles on your Fit! Good to hear no major probs. I run my front tires at 50 and rears at 40. I do it more for handling than mileage. Base Fit tires are real squishy at 32 psi recommended. Having them at 50 makes a big difference in steering response. They're a bit noisier bit not super harsh. Fit rides like a Cadillac compared to my Omni.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Very nice to hear your update.
I'm running 40psi on all 4 tires and it feels great--no residual issues thus far.

I look forward to my 40k mark with Adele :-)

Old 11-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Chad T
Wow you're putting some miles on your Fit! Good to hear no major probs. I run my front tires at 50 and rears at 40. I do it more for handling than mileage. Base Fit tires are real squishy at 32 psi recommended. Having them at 50 makes a big difference in steering response. They're a bit noisier bit not super harsh. Fit rides like a Cadillac compared to my Omni.
Hey Chad T, what type of tires do you have, Dunlop or Bridgestone? The reason I ask is that I also have a base fit, and when I was checking my tire pressure, the sidewall said that the max PSI for the tires was 41 PSI. Therefore, I only took them to 35ish, which rides fine and doesn't make me worry about the tires blowing out. I've got the Dunlops.

(Your username always makes me smile because my significant other is also named Chad T. Fascinating, I know!)

Old 11-16-2009, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
this is good news. cuz iam planning to drive the heck out of mine

Old 11-30-2009, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for your report. I think you should rotate your tires regularly. BTW, how are your brakes? I'm at 28K and am feeling a little bit of fade and shaking during braking. I've been researching for aftermarket pads and rotors, but haven't had any luck.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
Thanks for your report. I think you should rotate your tires regularly. BTW, how are your brakes? I'm at 28K and am feeling a little bit of fade and shaking during braking. I've been researching for aftermarket pads and rotors, but haven't had any luck.
Look at EBC Greenstuff pads. I had them on my CL type S and on my Integra....they had a lot more bite than other pads I had tried.

Here are some for example.... PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts - Brake - For 2009 Honda Fit Sport 4 Cyl 1.5L

There are carried at a lot of different places.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
I just exceeded 43K on my GE8 MT Sport... OEM Dunlops met their end early Nov as a plug in the LR was failing to hold pressure... they were regularly rotated and wore very evenly, all 4 were at 2/32nds for awhile but wanted to wait as long as possible to slap on the 14" Yokohama iceGuards.... these iceGuards are VERY squirmy on grooved concrete surfaces common here in Upstate NY... almost disconcerting!

I've posted elsewhere here that no real issues other than a sandblasted nose and both driving lights with broken lenses due to nasty debris hits at speed...

Old 12-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by chloeishere
Hey Chad T, what type of tires do you have, Dunlop or Bridgestone? The reason I ask is that I also have a base fit, and when I was checking my tire pressure, the sidewall said that the max PSI for the tires was 41 PSI. Therefore, I only took them to 35ish, which rides fine and doesn't make me worry about the tires blowing out. I've got the Dunlops.
They're Dunlops. Sorry I thought I had replied to you earlier.

Quick Reply: Fit is at 40k: Long term maintenence report.