2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit is at 40k: Long term maintenence report.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
BTW, how are your brakes? I'm at 28K and am feeling a little bit of fade and shaking during braking.
The brakes perform as new. The pads are ~ 1/2" thick as of 500miles ago, although I only got a visual on the outside pad. The wheel doesn't pull or shake at all and the rotors are wearing evenly.

I got my new tires but the mechanic must have clipped the TMPS sensor in one of them cause the light is on now.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chad T
Wow you're putting some miles on your Fit! Good to hear no major probs. I run my front tires at 50 and rears at 40. I do it more for handling than mileage. Base Fit tires are real squishy at 32 psi recommended. Having them at 50 makes a big difference in steering response. They're a bit noisier bit not super harsh. Fit rides like a Cadillac compared to my Omni.
mmmmm. As you experiment with tire pressures, do not forget that the TPMS is very simple: it generates an alarm when any tires falls below 28 psi. Thus, when you use much higher pressures, your TPMS will only be able to detect near catastrophic loss of pressure.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I ran mine at 45 in front, 40 in the rear. A bunch of folks run them at 50 or 55, trying to save gas. The ride is firm but not harsh. I didn't like running the stockers at more than 45/40 because control suffered too much.
That is dangerous. The reason you get better MPG is because you ride on less tire. You ride on less tire because it bows out the middle ot the tire. When you hit rain, especially in a curve, you will slide far more often.

Tires are meant to be run at the recommended psi for the best adhesion to the road. The only reason you increase the psi is for a heavy load.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm waiting for an analysis of how much over inflating your tires saves you money on gas vs. how much it unevenly wears your tires in the center causing you to need to replace them for several hundred dollars sooner. I'm gonna bet the gas savings are minimal at best and don't amount to a couple hundo. That being said, I'm running at 40psi per some of the talk here. I'll keep tabs on the tread wear.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Original post updated... I'm at 65k and she's holding up well!

I'd like to address the naysayers above re: tire pressue

1) 40psi is well within the ratings printed on the side of the tire. The load is well below capacity too. The psi listed on the door-jam is what the manufacturer reccomends. This recommendation takes comfort into account. It is not the be-all-end-all. Would an autocross racer follow this?
2) My tires wore evenly over 65,000 miles. (pics forthcoming)
3) As for safety, the sidewall becomes more stiff, meaning that your tires will grip the road better, improving handling.

It does give a harsher ride, which I'm sure could wear the suspension out more quickly depending on how you drive. I'll just go ahead and site this article while I'm at it. It's not from a scientific journal but I don't see scientific evidence backing up the naysayers either so what the hell:
http://www.officer.com/article/artic...on=19&id=27281

Last edited by BlackUp; 08-24-2010 at 06:41 PM.