2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rocking driver's seat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:11 AM
Rocking driver's seat?

Anyone else having this issue?

It seems that the drivers seat, when rolling over uneven surfaces, tends to "rock" in its tracks or mounts a bit. It feels almost like when you had the seat slider slightly off, and it 'clicks" into place.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:15 AM
ohh yes.

i can quote the many times my buddy has said, "there we go, now im locked into place!" or some other form of it.

never really thought twice about it. kinda strange though, i guess...

Old 11-15-2009, 02:25 AM
i haven't really noticed that it's more of an issue on the FiT than w/ any other car i've driven. there are a lot of "joints" and adjustable parts on a car seat. perhaps the car's short wheelbase magnifies this occurrence. i've only had the "snapped in" event after adjusting my seat when it hasn't clicked in all the way until i sit in it or i have to use my brakes.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by SCBarren
ohh yes.

i can quote the many times my buddy has said, "there we go, now im locked into place!" or some other form of it.

never really thought twice about it. kinda strange though, i guess...
Just a note - this is definitely NOT the seat locking into place. It will pop back and forth, particularly when there is a surface causing a side to side rocking motion.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
i haven't really noticed that it's more of an issue on the FiT than w/ any other car i've driven. there are a lot of "joints" and adjustable parts on a car seat. perhaps the car's short wheelbase magnifies this occurrence. i've only had the "snapped in" event after adjusting my seat when it hasn't clicked in all the way until i sit in it or i have to use my brakes.

that sounds like what i'm experiencing.

it's really not an often occurrence, it has just happened a few times over the year i've had it.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
Granted, there are a number of moving parts in the seats but they should not be moving at all. Shifting of the seat is a dangerous thing, even if just a little bit. My Altima would shift Side-to side in a hard turn. You'd get a "let go" kind of feeling once you got into a turn in the corner and you would literally slide 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch to the side. It is one of the most unsettling feelings in a car I've had. A lot of others had the same issue and soon after we started talking about it... Recall! Had it fixed. Front to back shifting is even more dangerous. Imagine of you had your foot on lightly the brakes and the seat slid forward. You'd be jamming on the brakes suddenly. Step on the gas and the seat slides back... not good.

The Altima is the only car I've ever had that had seats that moved even the slightest. My hondas have all had a solid feel to the seat structure. I like sporty rides that I can toss into turns and seat movement would be awful.

If it is regularly reproducible and is actual movement of the seat, take it in to the dealer and have them fix it.

~SB

Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 AM
I had experienced a problem with my driver's seat 12 hours after I bought by 2010 Fit in late October in Central Jersey and it took 3 trips to the dealer for them to replace the seat. I knew the seat was not "normal" and they finally agreed it was not right after the service manager finally drove in it. Apparently, the seat had an internal issue and it was replaced under warranty. But yes, these seats seem to have a bit more "play" than other seats I have driven in. I just hope its not a major problem after 100k miles and years of ownership!

Old 11-15-2009, 10:53 AM
SB, I agree. I should have stated that vibrations are normal, a "rocking motion" is not. as for the "clicking in", that should only occur after doing an adjustment and I've failed to push in or pull the seat into it's final engagement point. when it's locked in, there should not be any extra to and fro motion.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Rocking Seat - ours too!

We just bought a 2010 Base Auto for my wife 2 weeks ago.

I've driven it several times this week and noticed the rocking seat right away. It is terrible and feels like you are driving a real junky car.

I've checked out all the mounting hardware and it is tight - seems like there is just some play in the slides.

I'll need to bring it in to the dealer and anticipate it wil be a struggle to get anything done. OH NO!!

If anyone has had any luck getting this fixed by Honda please let me know.

I sure didn't notice this problem with the car we test drove!

Originally Posted by Occam
Anyone else having this issue?

It seems that the drivers seat, when rolling over uneven surfaces, tends to "rock" in its tracks or mounts a bit. It feels almost like when you had the seat slider slightly off, and it 'clicks" into place.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to get personal, but how heavy are you? Seat is solid in my 09 even when I slalom through the parking lot (and no one's looking).

I'm 165 dry.

Maybe it's the active head restraint?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 PM
190 lbs. The play is definitely not in the track itself, but the point where it is bolted to the floor. I think a dealer trip may be in the cards.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
same here! it clicks around when taking corners...will be going to dealer.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Yea, bring it in. My 2010 had a "looseness" that I knew was not right. If you go to your dealer and they have another new Fit on the lot, take it for a drive and see if it has the same issue. If not, then you KNOW your seat is defective like mine was...then they will replace the seat since it is still under warranty.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
I posted about this earlier this year because i had the exact same issue. I checked everything and found nothing. It creaked all the time, and then all of a sudden, just like the hiccups, it was gone. I started making it a habit each time i get in and sit down now to reach over my shoulder and give the headrest a gentile tug fwd, which moves all of the hinges and rods inside the seat for the active headrest (and actually makes the seat more comfortable on my middle back). Not sure if that had anything to do with anything, but i haven't heard a creak or felt the seat shift in over 4 months after a first month or so of sporadic insanity.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ng-broken.html

Old 01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Update!

I brought in my car today into the dealership and they dealt with the clicking/rocking issue. Here's what the problem was for me: "Seat back cushion when turning hard causing body to shift. Removed driver's seat back cover. Found driver's seat back-rest spring was rubbing against the plastic backrest support. Secured driver's backrest spring with EPT tape. Re-secured and tighten down all 4 driver's seat mounting bolts."

I hope this helps somebody!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:01 AM
I feel kinda dumb on this one.

I used a ratchet and tightened the bolt under the plastic cover next to the console.

Seems to have cured it.

Should've been an obvious check - I looked at the rear bolts because I thought that's where there was play in the mount.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by dvleucsd
Update!

I brought in my car today into the dealership and they dealt with the clicking/rocking issue. Here's what the problem was for me: "Seat back cushion when turning hard causing body to shift. Removed driver's seat back cover. Found driver's seat back-rest spring was rubbing against the plastic backrest support. Secured driver's backrest spring with EPT tape. Re-secured and tighten down all 4 driver's seat mounting bolts."

I hope this helps somebody!
I think it helps me!

I am about 100% sure I'm getting the movement described in your post. I've had the car 3 weeks, and it's starting to drive me nuts. It feels like something is bumping the back of my seat whenever I make a moderately sudden movement in any direction. I feel it when turning, and even going over some bumps, in addition to stopping and starting. It's as if there's a little pendulum in there that swings around and bumps me whenever I upset it.

I'm debating whether I should try your fix myself. It'd be easier than leaving the car at a dealer--I need it throughout the day for my job.

Matt

Old 01-14-2010, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kawracer
I think it helps me!

I am about 100% sure I'm getting the movement described in your post. I've had the car 3 weeks, and it's starting to drive me nuts. It feels like something is bumping the back of my seat whenever I make a moderately sudden movement in any direction. I feel it when turning, and even going over some bumps, in addition to stopping and starting. It's as if there's a little pendulum in there that swings around and bumps me whenever I upset it.

I'm debating whether I should try your fix myself. It'd be easier than leaving the car at a dealer--I need it throughout the day for my job.

Matt
Cool! hope that does help, or it might even be something simple like a mounting bolt on the rails like the OP a few posts up had.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by dvleucsd
Cool! hope that does help, or it might even be something simple like a mounting bolt on the rails like the OP a few posts up had.
They appear to be solid. It really does feel like something hitting the back of my seat--the seat itself feels stable. I may try to open it up and look at it this weekend...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
I feel kinda dumb on this one.
I used a ratchet and tightened the bolt under the plastic cover next to the console.
Seems to have cured it.
Should've been an obvious check - I looked at the rear bolts because I thought that's where there was play in the mount.
Ditto. Had play in my driver seat and found front seat bolt toward the console loose, and found the passenger seat front inside bolt was loose as well. Luckily I stumbled upon another thread and leaned many 2010s have this manufacturing flaw (you just need to tighten the bolts).

This is on a brand-new 2010 fit sport with ~300 miles!

Quick Reply: Rocking driver's seat?