2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Portable GPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Double sided taped the disk to the dash and the suction mounts secures directly to it. No issues with the disk coming off at all. That thing is on there.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a Nav-mat beanbag mount. It uses no adhesive...it's got some kind of crazy high-friction material on the bottom of it. Between that and the weight of the beanbag part, it stays put. You can usually get them on Amazon for around $20 shipped. When I park, I put the GPS in the glove box, and the base can fit right under the front seat. No disc on the dash, no ring on the windshield. No clues at all.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:25 PM
My MIO looks and functions great on the left side corner window. Despite being in the window, I think it attracts less attention from would-be thieves, the pillars shield it from view a good bit.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris

also, to hide evidence of a GPS in the car, i place a small stuffed toy on the disc when i'm parked in less than trustworthy places.
I knew my Pikachu plush would come in handy one day! Thanks for the tip

Old 12-06-2009, 11:03 PM
I put my Garmin Nuvi 680 in the corner of the windshield pretty much where I had it in the last car although it's even harder to reach with the even deeper dash of the Fit. I might try putting in the small corner window eventually as it would be a bit closer to reach and is probably just as unobtrusive. The bottom corner of the windshield is nice as it's completely out of the way of everything. I ran the power cable up under the dash, up and over the steering wheel and up the far left side to the corner of the windshield, stuffing the excess into the cavity above the steering wheel out of sight.

The nice little extra with the Nuvi 680 is that it also connects via bluetooth to my phone so no need to pay the ridiculous price for bluetooth for a non-nav Fit. Over time I've found it's handiest just to use the built-in speaker rather than the FM transmitter (there is only one frequency in my area that doesn't have a strong enough signal from a radio station) or the headphone/line out to the aux input. After a while the stress on the headphone output with a cord plugged into it broke the solder connection to the circuit board and I had to take it apart and fix it. Having that extra cord to deal with is a bit of a pain too. The plug I was using at the time was a bit of a monster so a smaller one probably wouldn't have stressed it to the point of failure. Other than that little fix-it job it has worked great. I've had to do a fair amount of long distance traveling in recent years and I can't live without it.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 PM
I suction cupped my Droid to the little triangular side window. Thinking about moving it to a disc by the center vent like some have shown.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:50 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
This one lets you mount it on the left side A-post

http://www.proclipusa.com/media/docu...pdf/804276.pdf

Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 PM
That's a clever setup but it's like $60+tax for the car-specific mount and device-specific adapter. A bit pricey...

Thanks for the link though. When I get tired of leaning across the dash I may go for it

Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Ok, so it's about a month later. I ordered a Garmin Portable Friction Mount from Amazon and have been using it for about 3 weeks. It works great and I highly recommend it. When I park, I just disconnect it and stuff it in a bag under the back seat.
Thanks for all the helpful advice!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm not so much concerned with hiding it as I am having it in a convenient spot, which is why I liked that mount that Ein posted. It's just a bit pricey is all. I tried mounting it on the side window but I like it better where it is (suction mounted to the bottom corner of the windshield) mainly because the power cable is doesn't get in the way of anything. The long stretch to reach it can get tiresome though.