2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Mysterious Switch!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Mysterious Switch!?

I can't find it anywhere in the manual. Even the dealer cant figure it out. Im afraid to use it. Any ideas?

EDIT: remind me to zip tie that dangling wire back up

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 11-08-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
I'm here to remind you to zip tie that dangling wire back up.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
thats the NOS switch!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
Looks like an engine kill switch or a battery kill switch. That's usually how they look like anyway.

Race cars have that for use in the event of a crash to ground out any remaining current or juice in the car's system. That way no spark will be present to ignite any onboard or spilled fuel. It's a form of fire prevention.

Doesn't the SCCA mandate that as standard?

Old 11-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by Type 100
Looks like an engine kill switch or a battery kill switch. That's usually how they look like anyway.
Except in bad movies, where a big red switch is always the nitrous.

I would hope that switch turns off the fast and furious lights, but considering the fast and furious lights, my guess is it is for nitrous.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies
Except in bad movies, where a big red switch is always the nitrous.

I would hope that switch turns off the fast and furious lights, but considering the fast and furious lights, my guess is it is for Pnitrous.
'fast and furious lights' only come on when the dome light is on. I personally call them 'footwell lights' since the fit didn't come with any and I was used to having them on the tbird. (let's just hope he doesn't check my other posts and see that there are actually over 9000 led lights in the car . It's a personal taste thing. Some people will think they are lame but I put them in for me. (although young kids think they are coolest things on earth, which always a fun reaction to get. Aparently no one taught them the word ricer and they never watched Tokyo drift)

Anyway I'm still going to flash my brights at every pair of PNP HIDS that passes me and trust me it's making my wrist sore

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 11-09-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:01 AM
161 posts and you're just posting about this now?? Did your car come with this switch? Was it new when you bought it, or did you buy used? Which model did you get? It doesn't look like you have a VSA off switch so I'm guessing you have a 2009 Base model USDM fit with a few accessories (like the obvious accessory lighting.) That's definitely an aftermarket switch, so who knows? I find it strange that the dealer doesn't know.. because if they had anything installed (like an add-on security system) they definitely SHOULD know!

You say you're afraid to use it... but have you flipped it... even... ONCE? If you haven't.. I would guess that it would simply turn on and off the accessory (under dash) lighting.

Or are you just pulling our leg?

Old 11-09-2009, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by interestingstuff

Or are you just pulling our leg?
^this. I can't believe no one said passenger eject switch. but pretty close with the lighting. It's not an off switch but a sort of on switch. I used to have a normal toggle switch there but I kept knocking the damn thing on when I got out the car. So I replaced with a safety toggle switch. 99% of the time I just leave my interior lighting to come on with the dome light. But on holidays or occasions when I want to keep the 'fast and furious' lights constantly on regardless of the dome circuit. It triggers an automotive relay I installed and changes to a constant power circuit I tapped into the fuse box. The kids (not mine )thought it was awesome trick or treating from the 'space ship' with it's orange and blue lights. Not to mention the Halloween Music and the little ghost we tied to the antenna.

I must admit the NO2 would be a fun toy: "Nos is like a hot chick with STDs, everyone wants to hit it but they are afraid of the consequences.". besides a switch like that would be foolish any officer would use it as an excuse to search your car for nos. You would want a more stealth aproach.

I should mention that pulling out the relay from it's wiring harness will disable the lights completely on the few occasions that it's necesary.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 11-09-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:57 AM
it's for the rocket launchers.. i'm pretty sure..

Old 11-09-2009, 04:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
^this. I can't believe no one said passenger eject switch. but pretty close with the lighting. It's not an off switch but a sort of on switch. I used to have a normal toggle switch there but I kept knocking the damn thing on when I got out the car. So I replaced with a safety toggle switch. 99% of the time I just leave my interior lighting to come on with the dome light. But on holidays or occasions when I want to keep the 'fast and furious' lights constantly on regardless of the dome circuit. It triggers an automotive relay I installed and changes to a constant power circuit I tapped into the fuse box. The kids (not mine )thought it was awesome trick or treating from the 'space ship' with it's orange and blue lights. Not to mention the Halloween Music and the little ghost we tied to the antenna.

I must admit the NO2 would be a fun toy: "Nos is like a hot chick with STDs, everyone wants to hit it but they are afraid of the consequences.". besides a switch like that would be foolish any officer would use it as an excuse to search your car for nos. You would want a more stealth aproach.

I should mention that pulling out the relay from it's wiring harness will disable the lights completely on the few occasions that it's necesary.
Hahahaha! You got me there!

But good idea on the toggle. I have footwell lighting myself in my GD and I haven't yet figured out a way of turning them on independently of the door ajar switches.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
I have footwell lighting myself in my GD and I haven't yet figured out a way of turning them on independently of the door ajar switches.
Here ya go...

Old 11-09-2009, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
O! I like that aproach. Much simpler than my setup. You wouldn't even need a relay to do it that way.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
there we go. I made a crude diagram of my setup.

only real advantge here is that the dome light circuit is isolated from your other lights. So turning on the switch does not turn on the dome light. You can still set the dome light on or off based on the seperaye switch on the dome light itself. Also it might be slightly easier to disable the lights completely with the relay since you simply have to remove the relay from Its harness in order to remove the lights from all circuits - very handy when you need to take the vehicle to the dealer.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 11-09-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
O! I like that aproach. Much simpler than my setup. You wouldn't even need a relay to do it that way.
Thanks. I spent way too much time making a nice diagram and ended up not ever doing the actual install. I was apparently more interested in *doing a mod* than actually having footwell lights.

Just want to point out that with my wiring diagram the dome light is independently functioning as well. As far as ease of removal for taking the car into the dealer, I haven't given that much thought. I wouldn't be super worried about it, personally. I suppose that's because I've already passed the 30k mile mark. :P

Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
No one mentioned flame thrower switch!LOL!

Cat :x

Old 11-09-2009, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
Here ya go...
Originally Posted by secondspassed
Thanks. I spent way too much time making a nice diagram and ended up not ever doing the actual install. I was apparently more interested in *doing a mod* than actually having footwell lights.

Just want to point out that with my wiring diagram the dome light is independently functioning as well. As far as ease of removal for taking the car into the dealer, I haven't given that much thought. I wouldn't be super worried about it, personally. I suppose that's because I've already passed the 30k mile mark. :P
thats not a bad set up at all then!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Secondspassed and Lyon,
That's just what I needed, thanks!
+rep to you both.

Now to actually do the damn wiring...

Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Zip tie the dangling wire.............NOS is illegal? Burst my bubble lol.

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 11-09-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
You should use your high beam sw for nos.

But that would look too stupid.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:48 PM
'fast and furious lights' only come on when the dome light is on. I personally call them 'footwell lights' since the fit didn't come with any and I was used to having them on the tbird. (let's just hope he doesn't check my other posts and see that there are actually over 9000 led lights in the car . It's a personal taste thing. Some people will think they are lame but I put them in for me. (although young kids think they are coolest things on earth, which always a fun reaction to get. Aparently no one taught them the word ricer and they never watched Tokyo drift)

Anyway I'm still going to flash my brights at every pair of PNP HIDS that passes me and trust me it's making my wrist sore
So you're saying there are only 7 LEDs in the car??

Quick Reply: Mysterious Switch!?