2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

US Fit vs. Other Fit/Jazz

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:58 PM
US Fit vs. Other Fit/Jazz

The first time I saw the GE8 Fit/Jazz was in Bangkok, Thailand. I never really liked the first gen Fit/Jazz, but the GE8 I saw on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok that day really blew me away. When I returned to the US and started shopping, something always bugged me about the US Fit. I couldn't put my finger on it until I saw this comparison photo between a US Fit and a Japanese Fit:

I guess US bumper regulations extended the nose, but I didn't realize it extended it THAT much. I know this is subjective, but I find the Japanese version much more attractive. The nose on the US Fit seems waaay to long, and ruins the clean lines for me.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
I personally like the us one cause it doesn't look like it got punched in !! But then again that's the impression I get threw seeing pictures!! Maybe if I saw in real life , my thoughts would change ! But I like my fit and don't mind the lenth difference !! IMO

Old 11-03-2009, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hankim68
The first time I saw the GE8 Fit/Jazz was in Bangkok, Thailand. I never really liked the first gen Fit/Jazz, but the GE8 I saw on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok that day really blew me away. When I returned to the US and started shopping, something always bugged me about the US Fit. I couldn't put my finger on it until I saw this comparison photo between a US Fit and a Japanese Fit:

I guess US bumper regulations extended the nose, but I didn't realize it extended it THAT much. I know this is subjective, but I find the Japanese version much more attractive. The nose on the US Fit seems waaay to long, and ruins the clean lines for me.
Yeah, it's pretty bad. The JDM version has clean-flowing lines while the USDM has a bulbous, stretched out look. There's even enough extra room in there for coyotes to travel with you.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
too bad it costs a grip to do a conversion.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the comparison.

I noticed the front fenders are actually the same size on both US and "everywhere else" GEs. By comparison, the US GDs were already longer at the fenders.

Under the skin, maybe the bulbous-nose look on the US GEs is just a factor of the bumper beam being that much more extended, with everything else (hood and headlights) following suit?

Correct me if I'm wrong

Old 11-03-2009, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
I think USDM FIT has a longer nose due to safety requirements / Crash test. USDM FIT only offer 1.5L engine same as in Thailand. However, JDM JAZZ offers both 1.3L and 1.5L engine and FWD and AWD. USDM in FIT Sport with NAV comes with VSA. Thailand Jazz does not offer VSA. There are a lot more detals that USDM FIT has but not Thailand Jazz.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Under the skin, maybe the bulbous-nose look on the US GEs is just a factor of the bumper beam being that much more extended, with everything else (hood and headlights) following suit?

Correct me if I'm wrong
that is correct. it is also super lame.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 AM
The Fit US fenders are much longer than that from the Thailand Jazz. That actually adds much to the length of the front. IMHO, it really doesn't look all that bad. I think its cause it's complemented by the slightly extended rear bumper and the wing. Therefore it doesn't look too 'head heavy.'

Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
There's a quick reference to the growth here-

YouTube - MotorWeek Road Test: 2009 Honda Fit

I love Motor Week. Always have.

Dan

Old 11-04-2009, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stratos
The Fit US fenders are much longer than that from the Thailand Jazz. That actually adds much to the length of the front. IMHO, it really doesn't look all that bad. I think its cause it's complemented by the slightly extended rear bumper and the wing. Therefore it doesn't look too 'head heavy.'
Now that you mentioned it...yeah, I noticed the extra length. Given the size of the photos on this thread it was a little hard to spot but it's there +rep

Old 11-04-2009, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
There's a quick reference to the growth here-

YouTube - MotorWeek Road Test: 2009 Honda Fit

I love Motor Week. Always have.

Dan
That video refers to the growth from the first gen to the 2nd gen. This thread is about the difference between North American and other Fit/Jazz models.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
Here I was thinking we are sort of lacking something at the rear. It seems chopped off and yet the JDM are even shorter.

I want JDM tails.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
Yeah, it's pretty bad. The JDM version has clean-flowing lines while the USDM has a bulbous, stretched out look. There's even enough extra room in there for coyotes to travel with you.

I wondered if someone would bring up room for the coyote, lol, good work !

Last edited by polokid69; 11-04-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-04-2009, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hankim68

Some input:
The "everywhere-else" GE has one slope from the hood to the top of the A-pillar. The US one has two slopes, meeting at the base of the windshield.

In a way the longer schnoz and the two-slope look make the US GE8 actually look more like the GDs from the side...that two-slope look is universal on the older Fit.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
FIT/JAZZ lovers from other countries would like to get USDM FIT and people in the US want to get JDM FIT.

I like USDM FIT. JAZZ in thailand does not have/offer VSA, side airbags, cruise control, multi-function stearing wheel, etc. Ony 3 things that I wish USDM FIT should offer are sky-roof, turn-signal side mirrors and rear disc break.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITMugen
FIT/JAZZ lovers from other countries would like to get USDM FIT and people in the US want to get JDM FIT.

I like USDM FIT. JAZZ in thailand does not have/offer VSA, side airbags, cruise control, multi-function stearing wheel, etc. Ony 3 things that I wish USDM FIT should offer are sky-roof, turn-signal side mirrors and rear disc break.
Amen amen amen to that brother !!!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by beangrower
too bad it costs a grip to do a conversion.
Not unless you know where to source the parts.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Lek
I personally like the us one cause it doesn't look like it got punched in !! But then again that's the impression I get threw seeing pictures!! Maybe if I saw in real life , my thoughts would change ! But I like my fit and don't mind the lenth difference !! IMO
Hmm, everyone to his own.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:50 PM
i like the North american fit sport, looks sweet, and i have the blue pearl one...looks awesome for a compact car, paddle shift...TPMS...the US version is nicer then the canadian version....I have a US Honda fit...glad its made in japan :P US version has higher options even bluetooth and GPS and u can't get that in canada

Old 11-05-2009, 09:34 AM
The thai MT version does not even have front airbags. You'd have to get a higher end model and those only come with automatic transmissions.

Quick Reply: US Fit vs. Other Fit/Jazz