2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Reputable tint shop in IL near Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Question Reputable tint shop in IL near Chicago?

Hi guys,

I'm a soon-to-be new Fit owner -- picking up my 2009 Honda Fit Sport AT with Nav tomorrow afternoon. I was thinking about tinting the windows and was wondering if anyone else lives near Chicago and could recommend a good tint shop? I live about 30 miles southeast of Chicago but would be willing to go into the city or north suburbs if its a good shop.

Thanks!
Deb

Old 11-02-2009, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
I can't recommend one but just keep in mind we can't even have tints on the front door windows. F'in Illinois has no respect for uv damage and heat.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I can't recommend one but just keep in mind we can't even have tints on the front door windows. F'in Illinois has no respect for uv damage and heat.
Actually that law was changed a few days ago...

NOW LEGAL tint combinations:
1. Up to 35% in the Rear/up to 35% front
2. 35-30% in the rear/up to 50% front
3. IF YOU HAVE BELOW 30% TINT IN THE REAR, YOU CAN NOT HAVE FRONT TINT If you have an MPV, which include but are not limited to, SUVs, Station Wagons, minivans, Toasters, etc., and said MPV has factory installed privacy glass (smoked), you are allowed to have up to 50% tint in front.

Further reading:

Recently, there has been talk about IL House bill 3325 which will amend the current IL state tint laws currently in effect. The reasoning behind the introduction of this bill is as stated: "Section 1. The purpose of this Act is to allow drivers or passengers of motor vehicles to protect themselves from skin cancer, while at the same time to protect the environment from the harmful emissions created by the excessive and unnecessary use of vehicle air-conditioning systems."

Illinois House Bill 3325 will allow persons with automobiles registered in the state of IL to legally tint the front windows. This is a practice that is currently allowed in 45 of 50 states in the US.

Current wording of the bill will allow for up to 50% tint on front windows of cars that have 30% tint in the rear. The bill will also allow up to 35% tint on the front windows if 35% tint has been applied to the rear.

This does not apply for the front window, though wording allows for a 6 inch strip across the top of the windshield only.

Sources:

Illinois Window Tinting Law | Cartype

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...ionID=76&GA=96

Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of HB3325

Last edited by reako; 11-03-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Yep, that's what I just found out too. Illinois just changed their tinting law so that you can now tint the front driver and front passenger windows. Like reako said, you can only do a strip of 6" across the top of the windshield though.

Hope someone else replies with a recommendation for a good shop though.

Deb

Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
After a lot of research..........

I found this guy in Schaumburg, I am extremely pleased with them.
Computer cut film, perfect installation! I upgraded to ceramic and anticipated the new Illinois tint laws mentioned above plus I had them do tint at the top of the windshield. (Tint not shown in my sig pic, I need to get around to taking a more current pic.)

Chicago Window Tinting | Umbra Window Tinting, Clear bra & vinyl graphics

Last edited by Tork; 11-03-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Tork, I actually stumbled onto that same tint shop last night while browsing the web. They look very reputable. What percentage of tint did you put on your windows? I was thinking maybe 35% but wasn't sure how much visibility that would give.

Deb

Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bikerdeb61
Hi Tork, I actually stumbled onto that same tint shop last night while browsing the web. They look very reputable. What percentage of tint did you put on your windows? I was thinking maybe 35% but wasn't sure how much visibility that would give.

Deb
Hey Deb,
I did the 35% all around (so I would be legal with the new law), and a darker type limo (15% I think) on the top of the windshield. 35 is not to dark at all. Have you looked in the window tint thread? Tons of pics, very helpful. Reminds me I gotta post mine there maybe tomorrow.
Mike

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Sorry, Tork... I'm really new to the forum and not sure where to find the window tint thread. I got a quote from Umbra and they're saying $320 for all four windows and rear window using the Pinnacle series of FormulaOne film. I'll see if I can locate that window tint thread.

Deb

Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
sorry I should have been more polite

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...nt-thread.html

I think, and I may not remember exactly, base was like $260 for the 8 side windows and hatch and it might have been like $350 to go up a couple of grades to the ceramic + I do remember the windshield band was $40 extra

Last edited by Tork; 11-03-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 AM
No problem! I did find that thread last night when I was searching around in the forum. Ideally I would like to get the rear passenger and back windows tinted a bit darker than the front passenger ones but will check with the shop to see if that's legal. Thanks so much for your help.

Deb

Old 11-04-2009, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
I think reako's post above has it nailed if you want to be legal

3. IF YOU HAVE BELOW 30% TINT IN THE REAR, YOU CAN NOT HAVE FRONT TINT If you have an MPV, which include but are not limited to, SUVs, Station Wagons, minivans, Toasters, etc., and said MPV has factory installed privacy glass (smoked), you are allowed to have up to 50% tint in front.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
Actually that law was changed a few days ago...

Further reading:

Recently, there has been talk about IL House bill 3325 which will amend the current IL state tint laws currently in effect. The reasoning behind the introduction of this bill is as stated: "Section 1. The purpose of this Act is to allow drivers or passengers of motor vehicles to protect themselves from skin cancer, while at the same time to protect the environment from the harmful emissions created by the excessive and unnecessary use of vehicle air-conditioning systems."

Illinois House Bill 3325 will allow persons with automobiles registered in the state of IL to legally tint the front windows. This is a practice that is currently allowed in 45 of 50 states in the US.

Current wording of the bill will allow for up to 50% tint on front windows of cars that have 30% tint in the rear. The bill will also allow up to 35% tint on the front windows if 35% tint has been applied to the rear.

This does not apply for the front window, though wording allows for a 6 inch strip across the top of the windshield only.

Sources:

Illinois Window Tinting Law | Cartype

Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB3325

Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of HB3325

I think today is that happiest day of my life. I love you guys.

F*Ck YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111111111111 11111111eleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleven elevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenel evenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelev eneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleven elevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenel evenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelev eneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleven elevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenel evenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelev eneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleven elevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenel evenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelev eneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleven elevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenel evenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelevenelev eneleveneleveneleveneleveneleveneleven