2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Older, practical driver wants opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Older, practical driver wants opinions

Hey! I've reading the forums. Great stuff. It seems most of you are young guys/gals who like to mod these cars but I just want one to drive, enjoy, and have reliability.

BTW, I am coming from 91 Accord that is still running great but I need a second car. So I went down to my dealer today and test drove a sport with a Mugen package. Oh, sweeet! I love this car. But I had two concerns and I don't know if I can get a long enough test drive to resolve them:

1. Revvy engine/noise at highway speeds. Any complaints? Especially for drives of about 2+ hours? I don't do a lot of highway driving but every other week, I have to drive 250 miles. What say you about that?

2. The seats seem a little short in supporting the back of the thighs (I'm only 5'11" but I get pains if the seat does not have good support. Again, I don't think it would bother me except for longer rides and I don't think the dealer will give me a 200 mile test drive.

The civic seems like it has better seats but it does not float my boat the way the Fit does and I want a hatch. Tired of leaving stuff by the curb that could be free and all good up in my house.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I hope you all chime in with your thoughts because I am Jones-ing for this car and I am not even a car guy.

Last edited by know-nothin; 11-08-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
I'm of the "older" set, and I did not mod my Fit. My background is sportscars, so the Fit is a switch and guess what...it more than satisfies me. I drive the Fit relatively conservatively, but I save the sporty driving in the canyons.

1. Personally, I may be a minority on this front because I don't find the car noisy at all. In fact I'm impressed with how the cabin is insulated from ambient noises. I think engine drone can only be really noticed about 75 mph. Just take the car out on the highway and judge for yourself.

2. I know what you're saying about a short lower cushion, but again, the seats are great for me. I drove from LA to Vegas (4 hours) and back and was never uncomfortable or tired from the seats, noise or ride. To me, I would rate these seats better than my late 05 RSX-S.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
I've had my 08 Fit for good one and a half years now and 16000 miles on the clock. Most of the time I commute to work (only~3.5 miles one way) and do grocery shopping, but every now and then we take road trips with the Fit, like going to the beach (3 hr. drive) or to Florida (9-10 hrs).
I think the Fit is not the most quiet car at Interstate speeds, but it's still bearable. The seats are also ok for me (5'6") and hubby (6'). Of course, if you spend a lot more monet on a car, you'll have more comfortable seats, but the Fit is a great car for the money.
If you like it, go for it!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
@CrystalFiveMT: Yes, that helps a lot. I am glad to hear that the car is working out for you. Thank you for writing.

@Mela_SC: That's great feedback! I appreciate it. Those are some serious hours in the car so I am heartened. I think a longer test drive should clear up any concerns for me.

I also wonder if the way the dealer put the temp plate on car leaves the hatch open just a hair and creates more noise. He just sort of looped it over the hinge inside the hatch and closed the door over it, leaving it dangling out the back.

PS. I read a whole bunch of reviews about the Hyundai Elantra that were so positive that I test drove one and let me tell you, it does not hold a candle to the Fit or Civic. The gearbox and handling were sub-par as far as I am concerned. But whatever...to each his own.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
I'm 49, and don't find the Fit to be exceptionally noisy, and for me, the seats are very comfortable. I've had a couple 4 hour drives each way in one day, and a 6 hour drive up to Michigan, and had no issues.

That said, you will find posters on here who find the Fit to be overly noisy, and those who find the seats really uncomfortable. I'm 5'10", and it seems like the taller people are the ones who complain the most about the seats.

I'm also used to driving truly noisy vehicles, semi's, diesel trucks, and vans, so I may not be the the person to ask if I think the Fit is quiet, , I think it purrs quietly like a happy kitten.

Maybe you can work out some kind of weekend long test drive with the dealer, and put some miles on it and see what you think, tell him if you're happy with it, you'll buy it, at a previously agreed upon price, and if it's not for you, a price for the long weekend rental.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
@Krizz: Hey, that's all great advice. I appreciate it. I am going to get a longer ride and if I still have doubts, I am going to talk myself into getting the car anyway by convincing myself that I will adjust to it in a week's time.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
The Elantra isn't even in the same category.

The Fits strong point is the cargo capability, the fun to drive responsiveness and low costs.

Trade-offs are a bit of noise and ride comfort.

Coming from an Accord will make both of those trade-offs more noticeable than if you came from an economy car.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
I'll throw in my 2 cents too!

I don't find the engine noisy too intrusive, but I have an automatic fit, which has lower RPMs at highway speed. I think you'll find that all the highway engine noise complaints are from people with manual transmissions.

I do wish the seats were a little more adjustable. I'm not that tall (6'), but in my preferred driving position, my legs bend up slightly, so they're not supported by the seat. I'd prefer a tilt adjustment or something...

I make a lot of 450 mile round trips too actually, and while I wouldn't call the Fit super comfortable, it's not bad. The seat is alright, but my shoulders end up a bit stiff after driving, more so than in my previous car (97 Odyssey). The Fit Sport has a somewhat stiff ride, and on poor quality highways (PA!), it can get pretty bumpy, though it seems to be getting better with time.

The Hyundai Elantra you test drove, was it the regular one or the Touring? I actually thought the ride on the Touring was pretty good actually, though I didn't try the Touring sport model. And it's got more cargo room than the Fit does! (Though the gas mileage isn't all that great, and it doesn't handle as well as the Fit.)

Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
@Virtual: True, dat. I think I need to get in the car and forget that I just came off the Accord. Just judge it on its own merits. It's hard when you've been driving a car 18 years.

@:clicq: >I don't find the engine noisy too intrusive, but I have an automatic fit

haha. If you are trying to talk me out of the MT, you can have it when you pry it from cold dead hands. Seriously, I know some people dig the auto and paddle shifters but the MT is not negotiable.

>The Hyundai Elantra you test drove, was it the regular one or the Touring? I actually thought the ride on the Touring was pretty good actually, though I didn't try the Touring sport mode

I drove the sedan (don;t recall which trim) because they did not have the Touring in a MT for me. I think the car is solid, a great value, attention to detail, and the quality is way up there. The room and comfort were great too. But the drivability was unimpressive. The steering had like a dead spot and felt very vague at certain speeds. The manual is funky with the reverse by first gear and you have to pull a lever to get it into reverse. The shifter seemed to want to go into the wrong gears. The clutch was OK but the brakes were twitchy. Driving it felt a little bit like a chore. But I am not here to bash it. The car will work for some people...just not me.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
First off, define older. I'm 46. Am I a youngin to you?

I caution you that any opinion on these matters doesn't mean anything to you. I know what you're looking for- enough opinions of the kind you wish to hear to convince you. It doesn't work like that. Each of us is different. Especially in seat comfort, especially. No one can know but you. A test drive for ten minutes will tell you if road noise is unacceptable. The good thing is you can drown it out with music, so it's really a non-issue as it can be overcome. Seat comfort is an entirely different matter. If you love the Fit but find the seats aren't working for you on long hauls, there are seat covers and/or cushions to help that problem. Is possibly needing to do that a dealbreaker for you? These two matters you ask about are highly subjective. Take the opinions with a grain...it's all about what YOU like and need. How's that for some wisdom?

Good luck!

Dan

Old 10-30-2009, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
engine noise: the manual trans revs at something close to 3500 rpm at 70 mph.
the auto trans revs at 2600 rpm at 70 mph. that may be part of the reason some think the car is noisy and some dont.

seat comfort: when i first got the car, occasionally i'd get some hip discomfort. but that went away and the seats have been fine for the year that i've been driving the fit.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by know-nothin
haha. If you are trying to talk me out of the MT, you can have it when you pry it from cold dead hands. Seriously, I know some people dig the auto and paddle shifters but the MT is not negotiable.
Amen to that! You'll love shifting the Fit too. One of the best shifting cars I've owned.

The noise. When I'm running around town reving it to redline and rowing through the gears the noise is nice. If you're on the highway up to say 65-70 mph I would say it's fairly quiet. If I'm on a busy section of interstate going over 75 it's pretty noisey. Not horrible but you can't deny it's fairly noisey at high speed. Road noise and engine noise.

Freeway cruising isn't what the Fit does best but it does just fine. I wouldn't hesitate taking it on a long trip. My wife's car is a 2002 Audi A6 but we usually take the Fit on a trip.

I don't notice the seats being particularly bad or good. They seem fine for stock Honda seats.

I'm 42. You'd be amazed how many old dudes there are on here. You'll love the Fit for trash picking.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
@Shockwave199: You are wise. I was NOT uncomfortable on the test drive. It's just that when I got out of the Fit and into the Civic, I felt that the Civic seats were a tad more comfy. A longer test drive and more examination are in order.

I don't know if cushions are a deal breaker or not. I will think about that.

BTW, I am 51 and let me tell you, the difference between 46 and 51 is like twenty years. I know you probably don't believe me right now but soon you will.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
@Chad T: Thanks! Love the feedback. You guys really are freaks! What am I getting myself into???

Old 10-30-2009, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
The Elantra isn't even in the same category.

The Fits strong point is the cargo capability, the fun to drive responsiveness and low costs.

Trade-offs are a bit of noise and ride comfort.

Coming from an Accord will make both of those trade-offs more noticeable than if you came from an economy car.
I'm not so sure about that. A 91 accord won't be much more well appointed than the Fit as my 93 Integra really didn't have anything over the fit except for a sunroof.

I'm 35 and coming from a2007 3.5L V6 altima. It was quiet and great for long trips and while the fit is definitely louder than that car, it doesn't seem to be as loud as either of my integras or my wife's Civic. (see sig for stats). I drive 35 minutes to work dailty and average between 50 & 65mph and have no issues with the Fit's volume (especially with the speed sensitive volume control). We've also taken it on a few 1.5 hour trips and it can drone but that's usually at 75 or above so 65-70 isn't bad.

~SB

Old 10-30-2009, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
I'm 45 and exchanged a '91 Accord for a '09 Fit Sport M/T. After all I'd read, the Fit turned out to be quieter than I expected. I even put a PRM cold air intake on it, and I like the sound. I do plan to put some Fat Mat sound absorption material behind the door panels soon just to see what that does, but I could live without it too.

I'm loving this car. I've never had more fun on 4 wheels!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Perhaps it's my youth and affinity towards being passed out on concrete floors with barf leaking out of my mouth, but I think the ride is supple enough without being a mushmobile.

The road noise is bothersome though as I find myself talking in an elevated voice (mostly to myself). The only reason it's noisy is because of Honda's philosophy of low weight (minimal insulation).

Old 10-31-2009, 12:06 AM
I think the fit is super quiet...at least compared to the m coupe.

The seats aren't bad, but a base fit is not comfortable until you install the OEM accessory center armrest. I mean, there was just no where to rest either of your arms to become comfortable. Def install that bad boy...I couldn't do without it at this point.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
The only time engine noise becomes an issue IMO is if you are running the engine over 4000rpm for a few. I know this because I drive from California to Colorado 3 times a year. Getting on those long uphills can be a chore if you want to keep your speed lol. Oh yeah don't down shift to third when you're doing 75+....the car makes a VERY ugly noise and CEL lights up...good thing it was only for a split sec and i shifted back up...so far no permanent damage lol.

As for comfort. For what it's worth I didn't find the seats comfortable that first month. But eventually found a good set up...that or just got used to it.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
@Shockwave199: You are wise. I was NOT uncomfortable on the test drive. It's just that when I got out of the Fit and into the Civic, I felt that the Civic seats were a tad more comfy. A longer test drive and more examination are in order.

I don't know if cushions are a deal breaker or not. I will think about that.

BTW, I am 51 and let me tell you, the difference between 46 and 51 is like twenty years. I know you probably don't believe me right now but soon you will.
I believe you! The difference between 40 and 46 is huge! I'm starting to get aches and pains I didn't see coming! LOL! MT divers are a loyal bunch- I don't know if you prefer a manny tranny. I never saw the appeal, personally. Besides, with the sport mode in the auto trans, I feel close enough to manual and it IS fun! It's like the auto can do both but the manual can only do one. That's a bargin where I stand! LOL! What helps the seat comfort in the Fit is the inclusion of telescoping and up/down adjustment with the steering wheel. Couple that with foward/back adjustment of the seat and I'd bet you'll find your sweet spot. I'm 170 lbs @ 5-11 with longish legs and I found it no problem. I think an even bigger consideration when it comes to comfort, if you have frequent long hauls in your future, is cruise control. Do not sacrifice that for cost- GET it. I wouldn't be caught without cruise, that's for sure.

Dan

Quick Reply: Older, practical driver wants opinions