2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Older, practical driver wants opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
Just as I figured, my deal dried up and I got my deposit back. I really don't think there was ever any deal to begin with and I just left a deposit on a phantom car. Oh well, at least I didn't get hosed for the money. From now on, if there is no VIN, there is no deposit. I see some more MT fit sports flowing into my area so I am going looking again.

Question:

What digit in the VIN will tell me if it is a 2009 or 2010?

If you had a sales contract he would have to go thru with it even if the VIN and list price were 'to be determined'. I worked in a dealership and can assure you that's the case. Legally. So what was the difficulty? Based on an 09 and not 10? which is legit if they couldn't get the car. If he has the VIN the car is there or on a transporter. We sold lots of cars without final list price and VIN based on discount or trade-in value from list. 2010 prices aren't much different from 09so I'm really curious why the deal fell thru.

The digit denoting year of manufacture is sixth series, usually the 10th character, in line; 7 is 07, 8 is 08, 9 should be 09 and for 10 could be 0 or A., Consult a shop manual or NADA issue from local bank to see what it is for sure.
As several pointed out on Hondas it is usually the 10th character:
Honda Motor Vehicle aka JHM (these are not Fit codes that foillow)
Line Body Engine aks ZE1
Body type and transmissionaka 3 hatchback 2dr 5 speed manual
Vehicle Grade aka 7 with a/c
Check digit
Model year;
Factory code
Serial number
Be sure to count the series of characters; not all manufacturers have equal number of characters per series.

Last edited by mahout; 11-28-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
VIN Decoding

According to wikipedia here:

Vehicle Identification Number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 10th digit gives the year, along with possible coding in the seventh digit. Scan down about half way for the full description.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
If you had a sales contract he would have to go thru with it even if the VIN and list price were 'to be determined'. I worked in a dealership and can assure you that's the case. Legally.
So what was the difficulty? Based on an 09 and not 10? which is legit if they couldn't get the car. If he has the VIN the car is there or on a transporter. We sold lots of cars without final list price and VIN based on discount or trade-in value from list. 2010 prices aren't much different from 09so I'm really curious why the deal fell thru.
The deal fell through because the dealer tells me no car exist in the area yet I can find them myself so they do exist. I think they sold it to me for too low a price and then just did not want to follow through. I don't want to play the waiting game for a car that may or may not be coming with no date in sight so I just got my deposit back.

The digit denoting year of manufacture is sixth in line; 7 is 07, 8 is 08, 9 should be 09 and for 10 could be 0 or A., Consult a shop manual or NADA issue from local bank to see what it is..
OK, thanks. I am onto another car now and it looks like an "A" so it's a 2010. Just wanted to confirm.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
The deal fell through because the dealer tells me no car exist in the area yet I can find them myself so they do exist. I think they sold it to me for too low a price and then just did not want to follow through. I don't want to play the waiting game for a car that may or may not be coming with no date in sight so I just got my deposit back.

OK, thanks. I am onto another car now and it looks like an "A" so it's a 2010. Just wanted to confirm.

Another car in the area may be dealer-traded, but if the other dealer refuses there's no car to be had.
dealer trades means one dealer trades one of his vehicles for another dealer's car, the dealer keep the holdback so its not necessarily a good deal for either so many dealers don't trade much.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Another car in the area may be dealer-traded, but if the other dealer refuses there's no car to be had.
dealer trades means one dealer trades one of his vehicles for another dealer's car, the dealer keep the holdback so its not necessarily a good deal for either so many dealers don't trade much.
I guess that's what happened. I should not have placed a deposit with one dealer to get the car from another. I should have just gone and made the deal myself with whatever dealer was holding the car. But I did not know that at the time so I lost some time on my search for a car. But all is well now. I have something in the works but I don't want to jinx it so I will let you guys know how it plays out. With any luck, I'll have an update next week.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Well, as an old guy, here is my opinion. The engine noise doesn't bother me nearly as much as the road noise. I did not notice the road noise at first somehow. Now it drives me crazy. Maybe my tires have a problem, but going over bumps is like an Iraqi car bomb went off. I can't believe others don't rant about it. I like the seats for comfort but the fabric actually weaves hairs and specs right into it and won't come out. I like the car....mostly. The suspension is a bit stiff for me, I doubt I can fix that either. I bought it for gas mileage and I thought it was cute. It is a cute little thunderdome.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Smile Stopped in 2 say Hi

Holy Man know-noth'n,
I just came back2 this thread and U got 7 pages of us talk'n 2 ya about ur Fit and has it ever branched out to other conversations. Good Job and I hope you can find a dealer that's on his/her game and will follow through on their word.
You are one of the few that has discombobbulated a honda sales team on the price of a car .
go get 'em& may the (FiT) force B with you............C-ya

Old 11-29-2009, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
Holy Man know-noth'n,
I just came back2 this thread and U got 7 pages of us talk'n 2 ya about ur Fit and has it ever branched out to other conversations. Good Job and I hope you can find a dealer that's on his/her game and will follow through on their word.
You are one of the few that has discombobbulated a honda sales team on the price of a car .
go get 'em& may the (FiT) force B with you............C-ya
Haha. Thanks for the kudos. I don't want to jinx it but I hope to have some news this week. One thing for sure, nobody is going to get a steal on this car in my area. I've checked it out and to get a manual tranny sport, you need to pay right around MSRP or just a little less. The key is how much the dealer can make up with conveyance fees, etc. I don't begrudge them trying to make money as long as they don't try to pull any funny stuff. I'll be back at 'ya with what is hopefully good news.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by unfitoldguy
Well, as an old guy, here is my opinion. The engine noise doesn't bother me nearly as much as the road noise. I did not notice the road noise at first somehow. Now it drives me crazy. Maybe my tires have a problem, but going over bumps is like an Iraqi car bomb went off. I can't believe others don't rant about it. I like the seats for comfort but the fabric actually weaves hairs and specs right into it and won't come out. I like the car....mostly. The suspension is a bit stiff for me, I doubt I can fix that either. I bought it for gas mileage and I thought it was cute. It is a cute little thunderdome.
Real old here 67 and I love the engine noise. Just need a bit more as it shifts up. I will be getting HSK exhaust in Spring for more.

I do not mind the road noise that much. On bumpy streets yes it rides a bit better than a gokart but hey it is an econo box but with style . I solved the problem of grey hair weaving into seats with Clazzios -).

I have now hit the magic $2000 on mods but that includes steelies and snows. What the heck gotta spend the pension money on something.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
The eagle has landed

Thanks to everyone for your help. Hopefully pics show up here:

Old 11-30-2009, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
good job! i wanna white one. (mine's dirty and silver.) ok now let's talk mods, you need to gut the suspension and slam that sucker.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Good for you! Now, how did you get to the end result?

Dan

Old 11-30-2009, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Good for you! Now, how did you get to the end result?

Dan
Dan, thanks for all your help (as well all my other fellow freaks).

So I was holding out for a white sport with a MT. I think I missed out on one while the first dealer I left a deposit with was jerking me around and holding my money. But I got the refund posted to my CC and Saturday, Thanksgiving weekend, I spotted a white one on Edmunds inventory about 50 miles from me. I shot off an e-mail and included a VIN, got an internet quote, and made arrangements to see the car. The place was hopping and people were making deals so maybe new car sales are not as bad as people say. Who knows?

Anyway, after some back and forth (would you take a white sport with AT? No! How about an orange sport with a MT? No!), I finally got the deal done. I guess he didn't want to let the white MT sport go but I wrangled it away because I had my heart set on it. LOL. The car had just rolled in with 2 mi on the odo so I was happy as could be. I picked it up today and the exchange was excellent. I give the dealer and my sales guy kudos for that.

If you are stuck on MT and a certain color, you will have to hunt the car down and go get it. Act quickly. Even in a bad economy, there are not a lot of these puppies to be had if you are stuck on MT AND color. You probably can't bargain too much either. I am happy with my price which was:

2010 Taffeta White Fit Sport w/MT
- Options I asked for: Honda carpet mats and wheel locks installed
- Options I did NOT ask for: VIN etch--at first I refused it but later relented on this to get the deal done...I was not blowing this car off for $189
- Dealer Fees & Conveyance
- Sales Tax: 6%
- Services I asked for: DMV reg and new plates per dealer
-----------------------
Total OTD: $18, 698

Maybe things will loosen up at the end of the year and better deals can be had but at this time, I think I did pretty good considering the market for manual Fits in my area.

I hope that answers your question.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Sweet looking ride!

Old 11-30-2009, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigcanoe
Sweet looking ride!
Thanks! When you get a new car every 18 years, it's special!

Old 11-30-2009, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Well know-nothing looks like you have something now! And it looks great, good job!

Old 11-30-2009, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats. Good for you on holding out for the car you wanted. Fortunately for us, we picked ours up right at the beginning of C4C (not a C4C deal but that's the timeframe) and there were about 5-7 Sport Manual in TW that the dealer could locate. 12+ of the Orange (second choice). I told the sales guy what I wanted and he came through. Now with the C4C deals gone through and the auto industry just trying to stay alive, it's harder to find what you really want. Kudos for dropping the first place and going to another and most importantly.

You are now a full Fledged Fit Freak. (and to think almost all - if not all - of your posts are in one single thread.)

And welcome to the Taffeta White Family.

~SB

Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks again to all for the advice and support. I feel lucky to have such a great car and to find such a nice group of people helping me. I am very proud to be a fit freak. Maybe we should make up some T-shirts.

PS. The dealer I got the car from was Liberty Honda in Hartford, CT. I give them high scores. As long as you are informed and stick to your guns, you'll do fine with them. Overall, they treated me very well and got the deal done right in the end. There is nothing I hate more than loose ends and when I went to pick up the car, they had everything in perfect order and got me out of there in record time. I would say they gave me the VIP treatment. My original contact was the sales manager, Jason Behan, and the salesman on my car was Tony Munafo. I would not hesitate to recommend them both and Tony really stepped up his game at the end. Good show!

I won't say who the dealer who originally crapped out on me was. Maybe they just had a bad day.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
- Options I did NOT ask for: VIN etch--at first I refused it but later relented on this to get the deal done...I was not blowing this car off for $189
- Dealer Fees & Conveyance
LOL! They gotchya a little with the VIN Etch. But hell, in the end if both parties walked away feeling they did well, that's a win-win. You had the pressure of time, according to your earlier posts, and vehicle availability. All things considered, ya done good and your Fit is where it rightfully belongs- in your driveway!

I know what you mean about the excitement of a new car. I drove used cars all my driving life until the Fit. That made getting it even more exciting and rewarding. I can't tell you what a pleasure for me it was to view a dash board that fully worked...fully lit up! LOL! Ah, the little things! For me it was like a right of passage- I finally grabbed another piece of the American dream- a new car that was thoughtfully and wisely purchased.

The best part is that the Fit will keep money in your pocket over time. All this time I thought a new car would drown my finances. But between the gas savings, and the absence of major repairs every three months or so, I'm SAVING money big time and it's making the payments I have for the thing very easy to handle. Oh yeah, and who could forget the fun factor!

Enjoy!

Dan

Old 12-01-2009, 05:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
LOL! They gotchya a little with the VIN Etch. But hell, in the end if both parties walked away feeling they did well, that's a win-win. You had the pressure of time, according to your earlier posts, and vehicle availability. All things considered, ya done good and your Fit is where it rightfully belongs- in your driveway!

I know what you mean about the excitement of a new car. I drove used cars all my driving life until the Fit. That made getting it even more exciting and rewarding. I can't tell you what a pleasure for me it was to view a dash board that fully worked...fully lit up! LOL! Ah, the little things! For me it was like a right of passage- I finally grabbed another piece of the American dream- a new car that was thoughtfully and wisely purchased.

The best part is that the Fit will keep money in your pocket over time. All this time I thought a new car would drown my finances. But between the gas savings, and the absence of major repairs every three months or so, I'm SAVING money big time and it's making the payments I have for the thing very easy to handle. Oh yeah, and who could forget the fun factor!

Enjoy!

Dan
Dan, your post summarizes my exact thoughts.

1. I like to get a deal but I am not going to let a few bucks get between me and life. In fact, I did not mind that VIN etch charge at all. I just added it to the cost of doing business.

2. The more you do without, the more special things are when you do get them. So even an inexpensive new car seems like a real thrill. I know guys who have had so much in life and now they don't seem to appreciate anything. I am sure they think that I'm nuts to be excited about an econobox.

3. You can splurge and still be economical, or should I say, smart about it.

4. The fun factor. Never underestimate the fun factor.

Quick Reply: Older, practical driver wants opinions