2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Older, practical driver wants opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Hello,
I myself have a 91 accord, I bought a Fit to be my new daily driver after the accord developed wristpin knock. The accord is still in great shape, thats why I cannot part with it, instead it will be a project car, weekend driver, show/track car. Anyways, I have been in several car accidents, and I have developed back problems, and see the chiropractor monthly for "preventative maintainence" adjustments. The fits seat is higher up, along with your eyeline when your sitting vs the accord. Its easier on the back to get into, and is very comfortable. I'm 6'1" btw, 220lbs. I have sat in the new civic seats, and imo, they are too firm for my liking, the fits seat in my opinion is softer and more supportive then a civic. The fit has a very close power to weight ratio to your 91 accord, ride will be alot stiffer, but not so bouncy, and your turning radius will be tighter. I also got the fit for its cargo capacity / flexibility. It is far superior to the accord, where for example I went to home depot and bought a trash can, that couldn't fit in the trunk of the accord, and (the trash can) had to ride shotgun, while the gf was in the backseat. >.< In regards to your passengers, the backseat leg room is very simliar to the accord. Also for me, sitting in the backseat of a new civic is uncomfortable and my head hits the ceiling when the car goes over the slightest bumps. Road noise in the fit will be a little bit louder then your accord, but its not unbearable, and the factory radio is still audible even at low volume. The main reasons I bought the Sport Model was for cruise control, the alarm, and fog lights.

In the end, I do believe a test drive is in order, so you can experience all the fit has to offer!

Old 10-31-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm a bit late to the party here, but wanted to throw in a couple of cents!

I'm 62 and 5'6"/195# and find my 09 Fit MT very comfortable. So much so that I"ve put 24000 miles on it in 7 months.

Part of that milage was an extended road trip from Upstate New York to Glacier National Park in northwestern Montana. 6000+ miles in a week and a half.

Overall average fuel economy was a tad over 40mpg. Course, I drive like the Grandpa that I am, usually shifting between 3k-4k, and sticking close to the speed limit on Interstates.

I bought one of those "space foam" cushions for the driver seat, and haven't had any problems with butt burn, even after 600 miles in a day, and there seems to be an ok amount of support for me (short legs though).

Only comfort issue for me (and a buncha others) has been the headrest, but I seem to have acclimated to that.

Go buy a Fit, you'll love it, I promise!

Alex

Old 10-31-2009, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
I must have dainty Japanese feet and head; the gas pedal has perfect tension IMNSHO. I felt no foot fatigue driving 3 hours; thought I was going to have withdrawal going cold-turkey (no cruise control on the base) but it was very comfortable. Takes almost neutral foot pressure to maintain speed.

As for the head rests, they actually work as a head rest. Every other car I've had they were too far back.

So there.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Banned
I haven't noticed the gas pedal thing either. The fix was for the GD so maybe more of an issue with those? GE gas pedal looks a lot different from the GD one in the fix pix.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for that link! I think I've become used to the gas pedal now though. Doesn't bother me anymore, but it wasn't easy in the beginning!

Dan

Old 11-01-2009, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin

The AC should not be a problem for me. I live in coastal New England. Does not get too hot in the summer. I also make good use of a sun shield for the windshield when I park. I think it will be even more important with the new Hondas' sloping windshield design. Looks like a solar panel for the dash but great for aerodynamics and mpgs.
Give my regards to Ipswich next time you're up (or down) that way. The Fit's a terrific car for those winding two-lanes like Mass-1A.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
I think the gas pedal thing may be directly related to the seat position. When I first drove the fit, I had the seat too far forward and my lower thighs were raised up a little off of the front of the cushion. This angled my feet down a bit more and I began to get a sore right foot. I moved the seat back to provide full support under my legs (as full as the seat can provide) which changed the angle of my feet and allowed me to pivot better on my heel. Just had to pull the telescoping steering wheel out a little more and all was right with the world.

I have to say, living in VT, I enjoy the windy roads and found that in my Altima, I rode to work but in the FIT, I drive.

~SB

Old 11-01-2009, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
I think the gas pedal thing may be directly related to the seat position. When I first drove the fit, I had the seat too far forward and my lower thighs were raised up a little off of the front of the cushion. This angled my feet down a bit more and I began to get a sore right foot. I moved the seat back to provide full support under my legs (as full as the seat can provide) which changed the angle of my feet and allowed me to pivot better on my heel. Just had to pull the telescoping steering wheel out a little more and all was right with the world.

I have to say, living in VT, I enjoy the windy roads and found that in my Altima, I rode to work but in the FIT, I drive.

~SB
That is what I did, exactly. I mean, exactly. No problem after doing that.

Dan

Old 11-06-2009, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Dear Fit Freaks,

I just wanted to give you an update. Got an extended test drive in (about 30 miles). The interior noise is fine. I can't say it's worse than my Accord (maybe because the Accord has a roof rack). Anyway, not a problem. Also, I picked a somewhat windy day to do the drive and was happy to find out that the car handled just fine.

The seats are another matter. I am not sure they are going to work for me. It just feels like I am sitting perched up on the seat instead of in it (if that make sense). I can't say I liked it and I have doubts about comfort over a longer distance. I will have to think it over a bit more.

Other than that, the only annoyance is finding out no gas cap release from inside the cabin. I know that I can retrofit a locking cap but honestly, I hate those things. A cable release would be so much nicer. Maybe the gas tank placement has something to do with that decision? Anyway, I was not happy when I discovered this.

Thanks again for all your sage advice and assistance. I have more test drives and research to do.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
It's good you got the chance for an extended drive. Have you looked at a Toyota Matrix yet?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
It's good you got the chance for an extended drive. Have you looked at a Toyota Matrix yet?
Steve, yes I have looked at the Matrix and test drove quite a few cars. Unlike many people though, I am not a fan of Toyota. Of the test drives I did, the Subaru Impreza is the other car I liked besides the Fit. The mileage is not great due to AWD though. A Civic wagon would work for me but there is no such animal.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
What about the Insight. Pricing isn't that much more (closer to the Civic) and will definitely be better in regards to fuel economy.

~SB

Old 11-06-2009, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
What about the Insight. Pricing isn't that much more (closer to the Civic) and will definitely be better in regards to fuel economy.

~SB
I didn't drive it. I would like a manual tranny and I don't think that comes with one, right?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member

BTW, I am 51 and let me tell you, the difference between 46 and 51 is like twenty years. I know you probably don't believe me right now but soon you will.
No no no, there's no difference between 46 and 51, at 49 I'm still 21

Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
\And I don't remember seeing any Mugen Fits on the forum so if you do buy the mugen fit be sure to post some pix.
Good Luck..........
Too bad you're not getting the Mugen, be nice to see pics of that on a GE8
Can you tell me more about this? The single remote will open the driver's door and you have to open the rest manually?
The remote with two presses unlocks all the doors and hatch. There's also a thread around that tells how to reprogram the Fit to unlock all the doors and the hatch when you have been driving and you shut the car off (handy if you frequently have passengers).

A Civic wagon would work for me but there is no such animal.
Not to dissuade you from the Fit, but there is always the soon to be released CrossTour.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
the New CRZ will be the first hybrid with a manual trans... Most everything else is CVT. You had mentioned something about the Fit and replacing the seats. Might a set of Stock Insight or Civic Seats fit inside the fit? if so, that might be best solution. They might even be direct bolt replacements.

~SB

Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krizz
No no no, there's no difference between 46 and 51, at 49 I'm still 21
LOL. That's your story and you're sticking to it. Good for you!

Not to dissuade you from the Fit, but there is always the soon to be released CrossTour.
I don't even look at upcoming models because like computers, there is always something coming down the pike that, on paper, is worth watching and waiting for. I need a car by the end of year at the latest so why torture myself?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Steve, yes I have looked at the Matrix and test drove quite a few cars. Unlike many people though, I am not a fan of Toyota. Of the test drives I did, the Subaru Impreza is the other car I liked besides the Fit. The mileage is not great due to AWD though. A Civic wagon would work for me but there is no such animal.
You're doing better research than I did. Let us know how it turns out!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, you made me look. Damn! Looks nice. But she's out of my league so that lets me off the hook on that one. Phew!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
You're doing better research than I did. Let us know how it turns out!
I will definitely check back in when I make a final decision. I am going to take the Subaru Impreza on a longer test drive next. The bonus with that one is that my wife loved it and if she is happy, that makes me happy. Never had AWD so I am bit nervous about any maintenance and repair issues but Subarus are rampant in my area and every owner I've talked to seems to swear by them.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
the New CRZ will be the first hybrid with a manual trans... Most everything else is CVT. You had mentioned something about the Fit and replacing the seats. Might a set of Stock Insight or Civic Seats fit inside the fit? if so, that might be best solution. They might even be direct bolt replacements.

~SB
I am not much of DIY guy and replacing seats makes me nervous (aren't the air bags somehow involved?). Anyway, I don't want to mess anything up or void any warranties either. Just want to drive if off the lot, do the regular maintanance, and hopefully keep it for 15+ years--like the Accord. I know, I am boring you guys with my stodgy ways but what can I say?

Quick Reply: Older, practical driver wants opinions