2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Importing A 09 Honda Fit Sport to Europe

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Importing A 09 Honda Fit Sport to Europe

I am moving to Spain early next year and want to take my Fit with me. I will ship it from NY to Antwerp, and then drive it down to Spain. Insurance is no problem, as you can get it from Geico. The problem will be when I have to get the Spanish plates put on, as all cars must meet E.U. standards. Please help if anyone knows what would need to be modified on the Fit in order for it to be registered. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
i looked on google and found how to import to the uk.

l Rear indicators are separate to the brake lights and the right colour (this is different to US
cars)
l Front indicators are the right colour and have repeaters on the side of the vehicle. This
may require small indicators added to the side of the car and holes drilled in the wing as
appropriate to accommodate them.
l A red rear fog light is fitted - US cars often don't have these.
l The correct white parking lights are present.
l Headlights are pointing the right way - check before you bring the car in that this does
not mean a costly set of new headlights!
l Tyres match the advertised top speed of the vehicle. Tyres have a code (R, S or T rating)
on them which matches a theoretical top speed. If the rating is lower than the
manufactirers advertised top speed - you'll need new tyres (for the SVA anyway!)
l The speedometer has Kilometer as well as Mile readings.
l The right brake fluid level indicator is present on the dashboard or else the reservoir is
clear.
l The number plate meets UK standards (correct size, shape, lettering)
l Protrusion standards are met (ie removing long exhaust pipes, bull bars, mascots etc)

Old 10-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks, that helps, from what I can see all that needs to be done are the turn signal lights on the side, and the rear fog light.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
That list is for the UK not Spain. Get an atlas.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Would it be cheaper to ship the Fit from the US as opposed to selling it and then buying a Jazz in Spain? Do you have a lot of customizations that you would lose?

Old 10-30-2009, 04:24 PM
As far as the U.K. Spain, and any other country in the European Union are concerned the standards are the same. If you can import the car to the U.K. then it can it can also be imported to Spain. As for selling it here, and buying a Jazz there they do not have the 1.5 engine it is only available in the U.S.A. and Japan. Also cars are much more expensive in Europe than they are here, not to mention that a Euro buys you $1.50 so if it can be done it is better to take your car with you, and in my case I won't have to pay any import duty.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by topvar
As far as the U.K. Spain, and any other country in the European Union are concerned the standards are the same. If you can import the car to the U.K. then it can it can also be imported to Spain. As for selling it here, and buying a Jazz there they do not have the 1.5 engine it is only available in the U.S.A. and Japan. Also cars are much more expensive in Europe than they are here, not to mention that a Euro buys you $1.50 so if it can be done it is better to take your car with you, and in my case I won't have to pay any import duty.
You may have a problem sourcing spares like oil filters, radiator hoses, belts etc because your car has a different engine. Resale will be poor when you want to get rid of it because it will be an orphan.

However the headlight thing won't matter because your car is LHD same as Spain. You only have to worry about them if you go to the UK.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr

Thank you for making it clear. I have dyslexia and have a big problem reading things. /sarcasm

Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Great news about the headlights. I hope this car will last me a long time. As for parts I still have friends here in America who can help me get them. I plan to live in a small town of 12,000 people so most of the time I will be walking the car is for trips to the Superstore to stock up, or for runs to the airport to pick up friends who are visiting. I love this car, and it makes me wonder why anyone needs something more than this it is perfect.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 AM
For anyone looking to ship their car to Europe, I got a great quote from Wallenius Wilhelmsen Line RORO New York to Zeebrugge ( Antwerp, Belgium) of $500 this does not include all the paperwork for customs, and insurance. for that you need to pay a freight forwarder. I will put the info on here when I have it. Antwerp is an easy place to pick up your car from, plus most people in the Flemish part of Belgium speak English. Fly from the U.S.A. to Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam ( A Hub for Northwest Airlines) from there there is a train every hour to Antwerp central station for 28 Euro's. Train journey is 1.50 min.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 AM
I shipped a 1993 Civic DX to Puerto Rico in 1995. Granted, it's a big difference in shipping to the UK than P.R. Luckily my company picked up the tab but it would have been cheaper to have bought me a car. First, I shipped it inside a container with my furniture(didn't know they had the ability to just drive it on the ship as well). It costs them around $5000 to ship the container. Then once off the ship, they had to pay the P.R. tax dept 6.6% tax on the value of my car plus another $500-600 registration and taxes. When I returned to the states, I had to pay to ship my car on my own, this time, it only cost $800 for them to drive it on the ship, no taxes. It can be crazy doing this unless you have some insight on the whole process. In my case the internet was less friendly back in 93 for researching these facts.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Douche Bag canadian!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:43 PM
It'll be so awsome as your car will be totally diffrent from the other Jazzes. Personnally the Fit sport's body kit makes it way better looking than the Jazz.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jaydubz79
Douche Bag canadian!

<33 its not because hes canadian. thats mean. hes just like that!

(+rep4 u) ahahah

Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 AM
installation of fog light, and new mirror covers.

Got the PIAA rear fog light, and the mirror covers with blinkers are on the way from Thailand. I had to buy them unpainted, as they didn't have my color ( Milano Red ) I bought the paint from paintscratch for $71.00. I am goint to try and paint them myself ( spray can ) and then give them to a company to install. There is a local place near me in NJ called Cartoyz and they have quoted me a price of not more than $190.00 to install the mirror covers with the blinkers, and the fog light. Is this a good price? I will post some photo's after the work has been done.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Here is the car with the rear fog light, and side blinkers .

Last edited by topvar; 11-19-2009 at 03:00 PM.