2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

50+ MPG What?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Lightbulb

I fill my car up the same way every time, pump the gas till it stops on its own, then round up to the nearest dollar, every time and same when I go to fill up again. I also drive the same route on my long freeway trips to and from Detroit from Chicago. Put the cruize on 70 mph, stay in the right lane and only pass in the left when I need to. I NEVER go by the OBC either, although its pretty close alot of the times. Zero out the trip, drive your miles and divide your gallons put in by the miles you drove, simple and like I said, I always let it stop and round up to the nearest dollar amount, so if its stopping at $22.45, I go to $23.00.

My story is documented in another thread but basically with about 2200k on the car, I got 35.1mpg going to Detroit going 75mph and coming home, going 70 mph, got 38.4mpg. Then, with over 4000k on the car, I got 38.6 mpg going to Detroit, doing 70 mph and coming home, got 42.6 doing the same 70 mph, the car continues to amaze me. I don't know if I've hit my ceiling or not, but I plan on going back home by the middle of June, so the car will have about 6k on the clock and my K&N typhoon intake will be on as well, so we'll see what if any affect that has.

On a side note, on my way back with the 42.6 mpg, I had a Magnaflow muffler installed but I'm sure that didn't raise the mileage 4.2 mpg, that had to be more about the mileage and having the engine broke in more, right

Old 05-09-2010, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
50 MPG in a Fit, without resorting to downhill, is not only possible, it has been done. I believe pcs0snq or RichXKU could tell you more, but my methods are mostly a combination of lower speeds, much more coasting (pseudo pulse-and-glide), higher tire pressures for longer coasts, and little things like turning off the engine at long red lights and such. My Fit is also outfitted with lightweight rims, performance exhaust, header, and intake.

Using these methods, I have managed several 50+ MPG trips, on paths which were overall a few hundred feet downhill from start to destination (Gainesville, GA to Duluth area). This very evening (May 8/9, 2010), I did over 46 MPG on the return trip, which is overall a few hundred feet uphill from start to destination.

I have not yet managed 50 MPG for a full tank's distance, but I firmly believe that elite hypermilers can do it with no problem.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Scratch&Dent
50 MPG in a Fit, without resorting to downhill, is not only possible, it has been done. I believe pcs0snq or RichXKU could tell you more, but my methods are mostly a combination of lower speeds, much more coasting (pseudo pulse-and-glide), higher tire pressures for longer coasts, and little things like turning off the engine at long red lights and such. My Fit is also outfitted with lightweight rims, performance exhaust, header, and intake.

Using these methods, I have managed several 50+ MPG trips, on paths which were overall a few hundred feet downhill from start to destination (Gainesville, GA to Duluth area). This very evening (May 8/9, 2010), I did over 46 MPG on the return trip, which is overall a few hundred feet uphill from start to destination.

I have not yet managed 50 MPG for a full tank's distance, but I firmly believe that elite hypermilers can do it with no problem.
Well far be it for me to say for certain it isn't possible. However, "elite" hypermilers driving a full ICE Honda Fit are a rare breed. Most hypermilers would rather apply their skills to the latest hybrids.

I still have to be sceptical, if only because it seems like something that is just outside the design of the vehicle in any range of "normal" use. Most people aren't going to consistently pulse and glide a honda fit and/or shut the engine off at stop lights.

But if you can do it? More power, less fuel consumption to you!

Old 05-09-2010, 02:36 PM
More power to those who do the total hypermile stuff, but I feel the almost 43 mpg on the freeway is about the best I'll get in my car on the freeway going 70 mph, but who knows. I'm very happy with my mileage and doing the speed limit and only passing when I've got someone on the freeway who doesn't know how to drive is the only "hypermile" driving I'm into.

I do have another trip planned in middle June, but I'm sure the a/c will be on for that and I'll have my K&N typhoon intake on by then too, so we'll see. I for one will not suffer w/o a/c in the search for higher mileage and honestly, in the past, the a/c being on didn't affect my mileage, how is it in the Fit guys

Old 05-09-2010, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
A/C doesn't make a big difference under most circumstances, but it seems to make more of a difference on the AT Fits, because when you coast down using the fuel cutoff, the torque converter will unlock at around 2000 RPM, so you lose some of the fuel savings of fuel cutoff. However, that's something you typically encounter only at places like red lights and such.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm averaging 37mpg so far on my first 3 tanks, MT. Not bad, gonna see if I can't get to 40.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Hmmm I never find computing mpg using 1/4 tank of gas is beneficial. If I'm after to save gas between fill ups, I always go by the whole tank.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM
My Fit is also outfitted with lightweight rims, performance exhaust, header, and intake.
The best I got as fast as mpg is 46mpg with engine off, FAS, cruising at 50-53mph, coasting downhill while in Neutral, 40psi tires, K&N Air Filter, Driving without brakes when possible and legal. I'm wondering if those mods helped you get the 50+. I'm just not convinced that's why I haven't bought those mods.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
I bought those items in this order: catback, header, intake, rims. (The others don't really contribute to economy.)

Of those items, I noticed very little difference in fuel consumption with the header and exhaust; however, I got about a 4 MPG jump after I installed the intake. As far as the rims are concerned, I don't know how they affect it, except that steering is MUCH lighter (especially when running high pressures). I assume the rims by themselves would only contribute to city numbers.

After I installed the throttle controller, my economy dropped about 1-2 MPG, but I believe I've learned to use the throttle differently to compensate. I would have to test for a full tank to know for sure, though.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:37 PM
fjt
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
Just got my first 40mpg tank (40.31) so im excited.

I have been getting from 29 to 35mpg... This time i got to the 40mpg mark. Same type of driving, i havent check my tire pressure, only difference is that i made around 60-70% of highway driving this time..

Could it be Weather and additives added to fuel?
Gas stations ere changed the fuel additives for summer like a week ago...
I still had half to 1 gallon when i refilled

Old 06-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I bought those items in this order: catback, header, intake, rims. (The others don't really contribute to economy.)

Of those items, I noticed very little difference in fuel consumption with the header and exhaust; however, I got about a 4 MPG jump after I installed the intake. As far as the rims are concerned, I don't know how they affect it, except that steering is MUCH lighter (especially when running high pressures). I assume the rims by themselves would only contribute to city numbers.

After I installed the throttle controller, my economy dropped about 1-2 MPG, but I believe I've learned to use the throttle differently to compensate. I would have to test for a full tank to know for sure, though.
Okay thanks. I'm going to do these mods when I get some extra money. I/H/E baby!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fjt
Just got my first 40mpg tank (40.31) so im excited.

I have been getting from 29 to 35mpg... This time i got to the 40mpg mark. Same type of driving, i havent check my tire pressure, only difference is that i made around 60-70% of highway driving this time..

Could it be Weather and additives added to fuel?
Gas stations ere changed the fuel additives for summer like a week ago...
I still had half to 1 gallon when i refilled
09 Fit MT
K&N filter

When I have more highway, I get less mpgs.

Mixed driving with about 50% with steady slow 35mph driving gets me to the 40 mpg. Highway, strictly driving at about 75 mph, gets me about 37 mpg.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
^^ True about speed. I get my best MPG around 40-50, with no stopping, so I go around 50-55 on the highway whenever I can, and if I'm not in a hurry. My best overall tanks have been mostly highway, because of the lack of lights.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:05 PM
I drove 2009 FIT Sport AT 491 miles round trip between Baltimore, MD and Pittsburg, PA areas yesterday. I got 51.748 mpg actual (calculated) but the AVG computer showed average as 47 mpg. The average speed of 55 mph with cruise control.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FieroGT88
I drove 2009 FIT Sport AT 491 miles round trip between Baltimore, MD and Pittsburg, PA areas yesterday. I got 51.748 mpg actual (calculated) but the AVG computer showed average as 47 mpg. The average speed of 55 mph with cruise control.
Well, that's the first time I've heard where the mileage gauge was in error on the low side. I've never seen that happen in my car.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
City I get 34 HWY 36. All i have is a drop in KN filter... Its pretty consistent. AC running on 2. And that never usually strays from those numbers. Tires at 36psi. A fill up i can get about ~360. without running out of gas

Old 06-06-2010, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mdbrich
City I get 34 HWY 36. All i have is a drop in KN filter... Its pretty consistent. AC running on 2. And that never usually strays from those numbers. Tires at 36psi. A fill up i can get about ~360. without running out of gas
I get just about the same as you in my 08 Fit MT. I get higher in my 09 Fit MT.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:41 PM
I got 52 mpg today.

So nyahhh!

Wait, wasn't in the Fit though... I was out with my gas-saving ride (though tearing around the countryside for pleasure isn't exactly 'gas-saving!')

I average 27-28 with the fit in mostly city driving. It would be consistently close to 30, but my 25 mph uphill climb from sea level to 500 feet kills it.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
I got 52 mpg today.

So nyahhh!

Wait, wasn't in the Fit though... I was out with my gas-saving ride (though tearing around the countryside for pleasure isn't exactly 'gas-saving!')

I average 27-28 with the fit in mostly city driving. It would be consistently close to 30, but my 25 mph uphill climb from sea level to 500 feet kills it.
That's my big problem, also. I live at 900 ft. altitude, but the surrounding area is close to sea level. I can get good mileage out, but it always gets killed coming home again.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:26 AM
I tried it out this morning - I had 9.2 miles on the tank, all city, after filling up on the way home, and driving to the bottom of the hill; I was a tick over 30 mpg. Another .9 mile to the top of the hill, through a 25 mph residential zone, and I was at 25.3!

The fit really seems to hate climbing hills at low speeds. And high speeds. Low torque engines generally don't like it; my CR-V was the same way.

Quick Reply: 50+ MPG What?