2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Parking Automatic Tranny in Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Parking Automatic Tranny in Neutral

Guys,

I hope you can help me on this and I'm not sure if this has been posted previously. Anyway here goes, is there a way to park my 'matic GE in neutral while removing the keys from the ignition? Car variant ('matic) is still new to me whch I am still exploring.

Incidentally if above is possible, is there a negative effect while in this position? Due to limited parking spaces at the office, cars are usually double parked with the outer car parked in neutral (with handbrake down) so it can be pushed out for the inner car to get out.

Help puhlease! Thanks in advance..

Jed

Old 10-24-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm 90% positive there's a lockout feature to prevent you from taking your keys out while in neutral (was that what you're talking about?). Hypothetically manny tranny cars rely soley on the parking brake when parked, though supposedly putting it in gear helps a little, so no there wouldn't be a negative.

But suppose you live in San Francisco, would you really be comfortable knowing the only things keeping your Fit from smahing into that pot dispenser down the hill are the rear drums?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Do a search for "parking brake failed" on this forum. Figure out if you want to risk it.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the information. There might be times when I may have to park my car in the office in front of someone else's and am thinking of leaving it in neutral (with handbrakes down) so he/she can just push my car out if he/she needs to leave.

Hmmmmm, thinking about it...I think I'll just leave my number. I don't want anyone touching my baby for any reason. It would be good to know if there's a way to leave the car in neutral though.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Having someone push your car is a surefire way to get your car into trouble. For this reason honda installed a solenoid lock in the ignition cylinder. You can't pull the key out if it's not in park.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:15 AM
2.5 tons nudging just a little can be enough to leave dents and would definitely scratch your paint. When I lived in the east coast, I drove to NYC a lot and I bought a bumper buddy to prevent sratches; look into that. As for the lockout, I don't know how to disable it.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Ok

All automatics have a over-ride. Take a look at your shifter. On the console part you will see a little plastic tap. Pop it with your key. Park as normal, pull the e-brake then remove your key, install it into the over-ride and shift into neutral.

"I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY; THIS IS JUST WHAT I WOULD DO:"

Ling

Old 10-25-2009, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
Where do you guys work? Im thinking about grabing a pickup truck and a tow strap / dolly and getting me a few free rides.

J/k but seriously thats a little risky

Old 10-25-2009, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by awptickes
Do a search for "parking brake failed" on this forum. Figure out if you want to risk it.
I did and got nothing

Old 10-25-2009, 10:37 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 09.Orange.Rev
All automatics have a over-ride. Take a look at your shifter. On the console part you will see a little plastic tap. Pop it with your key. Park as normal, pull the e-brake then remove your key, install it into the over-ride and shift into neutral.

"I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY; THIS IS JUST WHAT I WOULD DO:"

Ling

you are right.

this is all you need to do to have the it in N.
you can even do it after you take the key out.
here is a pic of the tab. right next to the N.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
How about you don't double park. Park where there's a proper place. The extra walk is good for your health, your Fit's health and your pocketbook.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by mtunofun
...Hypothetically manny tranny cars rely soley on the parking brake when parked, though supposedly putting it in gear helps a little...
well, you're SUPPOSED to park in 1st or R depending on which side of the hill you're on. even on the most even surface, putting it in gear is a good idea.

say you're parking in a garage and have the wall right in front of you, you should put the trans in 1st so that the thief in a tow truck can't pull your car out w/o putting your front wheels on a dolly.

OP, it's a terrible idea to put your car in N w/o the hand brake up. there are way too many things that can go wrong and i'm sure insurance companies are going to have a field day trying to nullify any claims if something bad happens.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
you'd be better off having everyone leave their car keys with the receptionist (or whoever) as they walk in the door. i'd rather someone rearrange it much like a valet would than physically pushing it back and forth -- though not having to deal with either is preferable.