2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

get your fits now! MADE IN USA??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
i just like telling people that my car was literally made completely in japan

Old 10-20-2009, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
I stated my opinion. Nothing wrong with that. But some of you don't understand that and have to retort and bash. Now THAT'S ignorance.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitcious
because (for the majority of times) US built cars aren't as robust as Japan made japanese cars...and honestly, for me, made in japan was a selling point for me on the fit.
My Fit is the fifth Honda I've owned. Of the previous four, two ('99 Civic and '02 Accord) were US made, and the other two ('82 Accord and '97 Civic) were Japanese built. The most reliable of the bunch was the '99 Civic.

For my money US made Hondas are fully equal to their Japanese-built US market counterparts.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I stated my opinion. Nothing wrong with that. But some of you don't understand that and have to retort and bash. Now THAT'S ignorance.
Not sure if this was directed at me but if so, I'd disagree completely... there's a difference between stating an you own thoughts and attempting to speak for [or implying that] "the masses" agree with a particular opinion. That, in my humble opinion, is ignorance.

~SB

Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Although i disagree with the belief that US made hondas are inferior to those from japan, i suppose the belief is not without it's merits. Those that are familiar with one William E. Deming and the japanese built ford trannys should know why that is.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Not sure if this was directed at me but if so, I'd disagree completely... there's a difference between stating an you own thoughts and attempting to speak for [or implying that] "the masses" agree with a particular opinion. That, in my humble opinion, is ignorance.

~SB
Uh, no, maybe that's how YOU took it. Read what my initial post said again. I reported on my and other experience, simply put. It's your problem if you try and read into something that's not there.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
I have to admit. I loved telling people that my Element was "Made in the USA." They usually would drop the foreign car discussion after that.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
Ah yes, this thread again. Cars aren't made in other countries because American cars and quality are bad, they are made in other countries because it is cheaper. Keep in mind that the quality requirements in the United States plants are just as high as the requirements in Japan. Do you think Honda would bring the car over to sacrifice its reliability name?

Keep in mind that the Dollar is still quite weak and transportation is still very expensive. What does that equal? It is cheaper to build them here than it is to build them in Japan.

Think you like German manufacturing (VW)? Well it is now Mexican manufacturing--which is fine, the production standards are still there.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by mugen666
Not ones sold in Canada!

VIN started with J, not 1
Ah I stand corrected. My '84 was built in OH though and it was a great car.

Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Did you have a 6speed CL?
If you had an auto trannies they were not the best. I had an 01 Auto CL-S.
Yeah 6-speed type-s. Nice car but I'm much more impressed with the Fit for less than half the price. Seems like the "designed for america Hondas" are the ones that aren't as good. THe CL just kind of seemed like an American car with a Honda engine.

My '84 Acccord seemed better built for what it was.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Uh, no, maybe that's how YOU took it. Read what my initial post said again. I reported on my and other experience, simply put. It's your problem if you try and read into something that's not there.
I'll weigh in and say that the majority of owners who owned both American and Japanese Hondas, including myself
A statement such as this is attempting to speak for the masses, not discussing individual experiences.

As stated prior, the standards of quality aren't based upon what country a car is built in but are set by the manufacturer. Honda has better control over this than most partially because of the amount of automation involved in it's production lines. Asimo is a study in robotics which is used partially as a learning tool for developing smarter/better robotic systems that honda uses in it's assembly plants. Their assembly plants in the US don't use inferior systems to ones in Japan. It wouldn't make sense to use low end components in one of their largest markets.

~SB

Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member

just because somone disagrees with you completely, or partially, (take your pic)...thats harldy a 'bashing'.

i AM one of those people who have owned both american and japanese made hondas.

i could resort to saying that my fit has had more issues than either of my american built civics did, but thats silly because every car has issues, and aside from the eps turning off on occasion, my fit has been fine. one thing is YOUR opinion...another is taking the responsability of responding for a group of people who DONT share that opinion.

if you are going to speak for yourself, do just that, speak for yourself, not 'the majority of honda owners who have owned american and japanese made hondas'.

still waiting to hear all these proven 'better build quality' tales as well.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
just because somone disagrees with you completely, or partially, (take your pic)...thats harldy a 'bashing'.

i AM one of those people who have owned both american and japanese made hondas.

i could resort to saying that my fit has had more issues than either of my american built civics did, but thats silly because every car has issues, and aside from the eps turning off on occasion, my fit has been fine. one thing is YOUR opinion...another is taking the responsability of responding for a group of people who DONT share that opinion.

if you are going to speak for yourself, do just that, speak for yourself, not 'the majority of honda owners who have owned american and japanese made hondas'.

still waiting to hear all these proven 'better build quality' tales as well.
Boy, you just don't know how to read do you? Sounds ignorant to me.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
A statement such as this is attempting to speak for the masses, not discussing individual experiences.

As stated prior, the standards of quality aren't based upon what country a car is built in but are set by the manufacturer. Honda has better control over this than most partially because of the amount of automation involved in it's production lines. Asimo is a study in robotics which is used partially as a learning tool for developing smarter/better robotic systems that honda uses in it's assembly plants. Their assembly plants in the US don't use inferior systems to ones in Japan. It wouldn't make sense to use low end components in one of their largest markets.

~SB

Speaking for the masses? LOL. I didn't put words in their mouths when they told me their feedback. Plus, I sold Hondas before, and that's where lots of their feedback came in. Wow, some of you just don't want to hear differing opinions.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Boy, you just don't know how to read do you? Sounds ignorant to me.

nope. i sure dont. its just completely illudes me. i have no idea how i'm even typing this.

its not about hearing differing opinions. i'm ok with that. yours just seem to be particularly silly.

tell me how many japanese made hondas you have sold...given that most of the ones on U.S. soil were made here as well.

or did you find it odd that honda built their reputation on all those american made cars?

Last edited by eldaino; 10-21-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
All that I can see from Fit production moving to America is maybe a reduction in prices, which is good news for anyone on the fence for buying one of these. Americans can build cars just as good as anyone else can, it's what the manufacturer lets those workers use and the quality of those components that makes the difference.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
All that I can see from Fit production moving to America is maybe a reduction in prices, which is good news for anyone on the fence for buying one of these. Americans can build cars just as good as anyone else can, it's what the manufacturer lets those workers use and the quality of those components that makes the difference.
qft

Old 10-21-2009, 03:54 PM
i feel bad, but i would rather have made in japan. i like other products made in the usa, but usa car makers have a bad rep for reliability issues, so thats in my head

Old 10-21-2009, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
I'll weigh in and say that the majority of owners who owned both American and Japanese Hondas, including myself, feel that the Japanese versions have slightly better build quality. That's why I decided to buy my Fit last year before they build them here.
Speaking for the masses? LOL. I didn't put words in their mouths when they told me their feedback. Plus, I sold Hondas before, and that's where lots of their feedback came in. Wow, some of you just don't want to hear differing opinions.
I refer again to your above statement. It doesn't state anything other than an opinion that attempts to speak for the masses. There's no statistics, nothing to show anything of value. Plus if you did sell automobiles, how many people even know where their car is built... 2%, 3% maybe? Say you sold 1000 hondas, you'd have a sample of 20 or 30 people... And how many of them are skewed by the stereotype that Americans can't make good cars?

Out of Curiosity, What hondas did you sell? Weed wackers, lawn mowers, generators?

Originally Posted by Red 05
Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see a reduction in price. This is because of the profit margin for Honda dwindling to almost nothing. the move would be to maintain a decent profit margin and not to increase sales (by lowering the price) That plus honda never does any incentives like you see from the US automakers and other japanese brands. A lower price would be nice but I think the only benefit the consumer will see is the lack of a price increase.

Originally Posted by FIT410S
i feel bad, but i would rather have made in japan. i like other products made in the usa, but usa car makers have a bad rep for reliability issues, so thats in my head
This is the primary issue. It's not an american car even if it is built here. American cars have reliability issues because of low quality manufacturing processes and tolerences. These tolerances are set by the parent company (GM, Chrysler, etc...) Honda sets the tolerance level no matter where the vehicles are produced and also has certain requirements of suppliers. This is what sets Hondas apart as quality vehicles... Unfortunately, with companies such as GM, there is a very high fluctuation in quality because of the number of different manufacturers; holden, opel, Daewoo, etc... GM just rebadges/restyles a number of other vehicles.

Saying Americans can't build quality cars is like saying Americans aren't as smart as the Japanese. What's true is that most American Car Companies, can't build cars like most Japanese car companies... for now. Chevy, we know can do it... look at the Corvette... While it is a specialty car, they last and perform. Hopefully for the US car companies, they'll improve their game. This in turn means that Honda will up the ante on their end as well. A Win/Win situation for the consumer.

~SB

Old 10-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by eldaino
nope. i sure dont. its just completely illudes me. i have no idea how i'm even typing this.

its not about hearing differing opinions. i'm ok with that. yours just seem to be particularly silly.

tell me how many japanese made hondas you have sold...given that most of the ones on U.S. soil were made here as well.

or did you find it odd that honda built their reputation on all those american made cars?

Egyptian pyramids or Jewish slave pyramids?
doesn't matter who or where the car is built, its all about the DESIGN
the pyramids r EGYPTIAN
hondas r JAPANESE

Old 10-22-2009, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TheFitman
Egyptian pyramids or Jewish slave pyramids?
doesn't matter who or where the car is built, its all about the DESIGN
the pyramids r EGYPTIAN
hondas r JAPANESE

thanks for pointing out the obvious.

but whats your point? I'M not arguing against what you are stating...i agree with you. I dont need this cleared up for me, others do.

you chose the wrong person to quote man. lol.

specboy: wow! so much ownage in your post! great points.

Last edited by eldaino; 10-22-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: get your fits now! MADE IN USA??