2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anybody scuff the front bumper on a parking curb yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Dan, yeah, no worries on my end. Really steep driveway. I'm fat. My wife's big boned. And I like to drive it like i stole it. Seriously though, in the big picture of things, its just a bumper. Not sure the "scratch bar" is designed to do much more than divert air around the underside of the car for minisculely improved aerodynamics. Maybe it's supposed to scrape first and warn of further impeding doom? Who knows. All i know is it looked a lot better once I pulled off the remaining hanging bits of clear vinyl from the front of it. Compliments the black scratches under my white bumper quite nicely.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
The 'scratch bar' was just a guess and choice of words that is probably incorrect for what the thing does or what it's called. It certainly wouldn't prevent scratches to the bumper as it sits behind the thing...too late for prevention!

Dan

Old 10-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Happened to me going up a steep driveway, probably a 3 inch gash on the bottom below the driver fog light. Not to noticeable but it still pisses me off knowing its there

Old 10-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Im acutally thinking about by about getting a "winter" bumper cover. From Honda they all come black and in a winter environment with slush and road grime most of the time I bet black would blend in with blackberry close enough most wouldn't notice. Sort of a winter cover that is going to get all beat to hell and keep the painted one for the rest of the year.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by teamkitty
Hey Dan, yeah, no worries on my end. Really steep driveway. I'm fat. My wife's big boned. And I like to drive it like i stole it. Seriously though, in the big picture of things, its just a bumper. Not sure the "scratch bar" is designed to do much more than divert air around the underside of the car for minisculely improved aerodynamics. Maybe it's supposed to scrape first and warn of further impeding doom? Who knows. All i know is it looked a lot better once I pulled off the remaining hanging bits of clear vinyl from the front of it. Compliments the black scratches under my white bumper quite nicely.
nice avatar i wonder why you're in the red......btw honestly you're not even lowered and to scrape that bad is pathetic, in my old avenger the front lip was 4.5 inches off the ground, and is came out much further than a GE's......and i can count on one hand the number of times i scraped...you sound like some fat piece of garbage who thinks because he's a Formula One driver

Old 10-18-2009, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
hahahahaha!You sound like you're mad because I scrape my bumper. That is awesome. Wait 'till I get my Sportlines.

Last edited by teamkitty; 10-18-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM
yeah, scratched mine too. Nowhere near as bad as on my Solstice. That was scratched by the factory, it is so low. Gave up trying to fix either car. just write it off as a normal "artistic" difference

Old 10-18-2009, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
haha i'm posting this again:

scraped it since then but you can't tell because it's already black

everyone said it wasn't worth it but i am happy with applying truckbed liner to it

it's been holding up great for over a year now, still looks fresh

Last edited by Fat Ping Cat; 10-18-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
haha i'm posting this again:

scraped it since then but you can't tell because it's already black

everyone said it wasn't worth it but i am happy with applying truckbed liner to it

it's been holding up great for over a year now, still looks fresh
you should paint the whole bottom with that stuff or with paint like i just did my front spoiler, it will look soooooooooo nice!

Old 08-15-2010, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
noticed I had scraping on drivers side, front, underneath - about 2% of what TeamKitty is showing up there. I'm moved to buy some Taffeta paint and paint it out. Is that a good idea?

Old 08-16-2010, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member
Before
AfterName:  002-7.jpg
Views: 5348
Size:  32.4 KBName:  001-12.jpg
Views: 3755
Size:  30.3 KB

Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
Scraped Driver Side

Three days after I had my car, I scraped the bottom corner of the driver side. I felt so sick. Ever since then I drove my car like a senior citizen when exiting and entering driveways ... reaalllly slloooow. I also found that it helps if I take the turn at an angle and raised my tire pressure to 38 lbs (less flexing). However, I turned too early and curved the rear right wheel. I need to change my style of driving with this car.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kimi808
Three days after I had my car, I scraped the bottom corner of the driver side. I felt so sick. Ever since then I drove my car like a senior citizen when exiting and entering driveways ... reaalllly slloooow. I also found that it helps if I take the turn at an angle and raised my tire pressure to 38 lbs (less flexing). However, I turned too early and curved the rear right wheel. I need to change my style of driving with this car.
I resent that comment being a Senior. Maybe driving lessons are in your future.

You did not curve the wheel but you did Curb it.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Havnt scraped this one yet thankfully! but I know it will come eventually......

in my old accord I ended up pulling in too far into a spot and ended up putting a nice 3 inch vertical crack in my lip! man was I angry about that one!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah... but it's to be expected with a car this obscenely low (and mine is stock. No way I'd make it lower; it already feels like it's sitting on the pavement!)

If it weren't a sub-$20K economy car, I might freak out. As it is... meh, makes no functional difference in the car. If it gets scraped where it's visible to anyone but Verne Troyer, I'll pull out the touchup paint.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
Yeah... but it's to be expected with a car this obscenely low (and mine is stock. No way I'd make it lower; it already feels like it's sitting on the pavement!)
Agreed!
I have had mine less than 3 months and have already scraped the front bumper a couple times. It's on the underside so not visible. I park in many different places and curbs are not always the same height. I also have a tendency to pull in too close.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:44 AM
No scrapes. Our roads are great here, and I drove a much smaller B12 Sentra for a year that had a long front end. So long that I scraped so I had to train myself to park further back a bit.. now I'm usually a good 6" away from the curb in the Fit

Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
We kissed the ground with the front lip going out of my cousins driveway. It had rained alot and the ground was soft so just some minor scratches that you can't see unless your under the car - thank goodness. I never want to hear that sound again!

Cat

Old 08-19-2010, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
I have a quater of a can of ORM that was used to spray my new back bumper when I was rear ended. It works great for applying to the front scrapes because the angle makes it difficult for flaws in application to show up.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:06 AM
woe is me.... I was in Arcadia for a week and stayed at my aunt's house which is in an old neighborhood with a really high curb. Well they expanded their driveway so there's a few inches of curb jutting in. Well thinking nothing of this, I back out and feeling the rear right tire take a plunge to the road I should have thought it through and angle the front tire.....well I didnt, and when the front wheel fell of the curb I heard the most horrible sound ever it made the same sound a car makes when it gets into a fender bender. I get out of the car and saw something that made me cry. The whole weight of the car was hanging on this little corner of my bumper and the front wheel was hanging a few centimeters off the ground. Luckily some of the clips survived but now my bumper wiggles around when you lift at that corner (and probably vibrates on the highway though I can't observe this).

Just a cautionary tale

Though unrelated, I parked my car in a downtown Los Angeles garage and someone scraped my car apparently trying to back out and I have this huge scrape on my rear passenger door. And in West Hollywood the same thing happened but at the corner of the bumper!! I think my car is destined to be a junker all it needs is some rust! I should've rented a car lol.

Quick Reply: Anybody scuff the front bumper on a parking curb yet?