2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Giving up getting an '09 Fit...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Question Giving up getting an '09 Fit...

I had a quote for an 09 Black Fit Sport Auto w/Navi for about 20,642 OTD.

The more I think about, the more overpriced it seems. Not to mention that I wanted a Silver Insight initially.

Instead, I think I might just go for the 2010 Silver Fit Sport w/Navi. The dealer said he'll be taking stockof 2010 models in about two weeks, and I hope a silver with navi is one of them.

So that being said, he quoted me a price of 20,989 OTD. So it looks like it'll be about 345 over the 09, but I get a higher year number (good for resale if I ever do that) and I just might get the color I want.

I was curious what others thought about the price.

On a side note, man, is it ever tedious to post using an iPod.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:18 PM
i can't really comment on the OTD price. i can say that i'd pay a couple hundred to get the color i really wanted. i'd feel pretty bad not paying for the paint i wanted in order to get a deal on a color i'm not crazy about.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
If that figure is indeed out the door, then it sounds like it's a decent deal.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 AM
most of the dealer add 2,000 to the price for the navi system.. the sport regular comes with a good radio and just buy a garmin navi gation for like 250...... then spend the rest of that 1750 u just saved on mods.. and a new poineer radio with screen and all if that what u really want....just what i observed when i bought my 09...

Old 10-09-2009, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
The thing about the oem navi is that it is more intergrated into the car... if nothing else, the voice controls (and the steering control buttons).

It's kinda like what neil patrick harris says about color... willing to pay a bit to get something I want than to "regret" it later.

And yeah, I already have a Garmin 760, which I paid about 250 a year ago. The issue is, I can't mount it the way I have it currently mounted in the PF (1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder) I drive... which is on the dash, clear of the windshield... I mean, that I want it as high as I can get it, without blocking even an inch of my view through my windshield. I was able to do this because the PF has a bit of smooth clear area on the trim. The mounting bracket is shown at the very top of the picture.

Neither the Insight nor the Fit has an area smooth enough for me to attach the suction cup... the only options will be to use adhesive or hard mount. Oh, I won't even bother with the "friction" base.

As for the HU... hum, I don't know. Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - IVA-W505/P1 looks pretty sweet... but how, if possible would I get it be as integrated as an OEM HU, buttons and all.

edit: sigh... i do like the look of some of the aftermarket units... but at the same time, I want it to be as integrated as the OEM unit. Also one of the things I would lose with going non-navi... VSA... which incidentally, is helpful for me (even though the last I over estimated my steering ability on a curve was almost 15 years ago, I'd rather never repeat that).

Last edited by Goobers; 10-09-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Neither the Insight nor the Fit has an area smooth enough for me to attach the suction cup... the only options will be to use adhesive or hard mount. Oh, I won't even bother with the "friction" base.
Friction mounts are great. So nice being able to hide the mount when parked and leaving no telltale ring anywhere.

You could also try Proclip...they have one that mounts on the aft post of the little corner window.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
re: guitar_trance

Sorry, I forgot that the price for the 09 model was from one dealer and the price for the 10 model was from another dealer.

The issue that semi-justifies the price is that the 09 in Cook County, Ill is getting in short supply. So, they're going with the supply and demand model (jack up the price). Well, maybe not "jack up the price" more like "not lowering" it. That price is actually under invoice. According to Honda.com, there's only a $150 price difference from the 09 to 10 automatic sport w/navi (18,960 vs 19,110). The $1000 price difference is if you use manual for the 09 ($18,110, which is the price they show on the display page until you build it with auto) against the auto w/navi for 2010 ($19,110). In any case, like I said, I think I'll be going with the 2010 model anyway.

re: jzerocsk

The problem with friction mounts is... well, a) I drive very um... let's just say, I have knocked over my sister's GPS using a friction mount. I happened to be looking down and managed to catch it before it hit the floor or seats... or worse, hit the gear shift in the center console, which I'm sure would've broken the screen if it hit. and b) it puts the GPS slightly into the view of the windshield if I put it above the center vents. It would be too far if I put it to the right of the vents. Or it doesn't look that stable (with my driving) if I put it between the vents and the instrument panel. Does it wobble (I mean just on the mount) when hitting bumps and stuff? I drive along pothole infested roads, and I can imagine it wobbling in the mount.

The proclip requires a hard mount (drilling into the post in this case). Which is something I want to avoid... at least until the car is closer to a decade older. I would've done it to the PF since it was already at least 10 years between my brother-in-law buying it from the dealer, and me borrowing it. But since I was able to use that smooth dash spot, I figured I'd just go with that.

In terms of built-into dash navis... I'm tired of the wire hanging down the center of the dash... I mean, look at that Alpine HU... it's so purdy, but then there's a line running down in front of it. Incidentally, that wire coming out of the hole in the dash button panel is for my iPod... so I'm looking forward to the iPod integration. It's too bad it has to be on the OTHER side of the dash... what a reach. On the Insight, there's a small "pocket" under the dash unit next to the A/C controls... while it isn't for the iPod (since that is in the armrest)... it would be much easier if the Fit had that pocket for the iPod.

I'm not trying to justify the in-dash OE navi. In fact, I wouldn't mind having an aftermarket HU w/navi, but I don't see any being as integrated as it. On the other hand, if I could get VSA, steering mounted controls (including the OE button for voice control). Basically, everything except for the physical navi itself ... i might take the non-navi (replace the radio with an in-dash HU with navi).

Last edited by Goobers; 10-09-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
get your real price of the car, break down the misc, and compare. OTD price can include crappage such as paint protection, window etching, scott guard, etc.

and also, get a real smartphone... BlackBerry.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
Friction mounts are great. So nice being able to hide the mount when parked and leaving no telltale ring anywhere.

You could also try Proclip...they have one that mounts on the aft post of the little corner window.
i use the suction cup disc for my nuvi. it's in my sight so i don't have to take my eyes off the road and it's below the windshield line so it does not obstruct my view at all. when i'm parked somewhere sketchy, i place a little stuffed toy on the disc so nobody sees it.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
if you dont have a trade in, that does not sound terrible for out the door,(taxes/title,license, fees etc.) esp considering that the fit is still very high on demand....and that it lists for over 19k msrp. there is a lot worse you could do.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:46 PM
I had the same debate over navi and non navi. The navi is great and if you think it will help with resale and trade ins later on. My gf and I bought a 09 crv ex with leather navi and all the options and after playing with the navi in hers I was very happy with it. Besides putting a cheap ass looking aftermarket pocket nav system in the car just breaks up the natural aesthetics of the car. I ended up with a 09 BBP auto with navi for 17900. Having just bought a 30000 crv they were more than willing to work with the price for us. And they located and picked the car up from about 114 miles away.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
and also, get a real smartphone... BlackBerry.
um, I said iPod, not iPhone.

I have a "real" phone for calling people, Motorola Z6c World Edition (got it a year ago, after I got the garmin). It was cheap enough and looked nice. The "world" part means I can use it with GSM... but don't think I will anytime soon. While I did try to get the iPhone, I couldn't justify it's running costs (minimum of $70 monthly plan, and I barely talk on the phone as it is). I stuck with the iPod, since the main reason was for the music (plus the occasional ga... um apps).

These prices are for the car, not including any accessories.

re: neil

I have that disc (somewhere)... but again, it requires an adhesive to stick to the dash.

In any case, I think just under 21k is an acceptable deal for me.

Last edited by Goobers; 10-09-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:54 PM

I have a "real" phone for calling people, Motorola Z6c World Edition (got it a year ago, after I got the garmin). It was cheap enough and looked nice. The "world" part means I can use it with GSM... but don't think I will anytime soon. While I did try to get the iPhone, I couldn't justify it's running costs (minimum of $70 monthly plan, and I barely talk on the phone as it is). I stuck with the iPod, since the main reason was for the music (plus the occasional ga... um apps).

I have that disc (somewhere)... but again, it requires an adhesive to stick to the dash.

get a gps vent mount. We have one for our Garmin...works great.

Amazon.com: Car Vent Mount for Garmin Nuvi 750 760 770 650 660 670 680 200 200W 250 250W 260 270 350 360 370 GPS: Electronics

Old 10-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by PhishesSleeper
... Besides putting a cheap ass looking aftermarket pocket nav system in the car just breaks up the natural aesthetics of the car...
sure, it doesn't look very integrated but those cheap ass GPSs have more useable and updated POIs than your OEM system.

not hating, i'd love to have the OEM nav system if it had garmin software and maps.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
In terms of built-into dash navis... I'm tired of the wire hanging down the center of the dash... I mean, look at that Alpine HU... it's so purdy, but then there's a line running down in front of it. Incidentally, that wire coming out of the hole in the dash button panel is for my iPod... so I'm looking forward to the iPod integration. It's too bad it has to be on the OTHER side of the dash... what a reach. On the Insight, there's a small "pocket" under the dash unit next to the A/C controls... while it isn't for the iPod (since that is in the armrest)... it would be much easier if the Fit had that pocket for the iPod.

I'm not trying to justify the in-dash OE navi. In fact, I wouldn't mind having an aftermarket HU w/navi, but I don't see any being as integrated as it. On the other hand, if I could get VSA, steering mounted controls (including the OE button for voice control). Basically, everything except for the physical navi itself ... i might take the non-navi (replace the radio with an in-dash HU with navi).
I never really had a problem with the USB connector being in the glove box. You can't control the iPod from the ipod itself anyway (the controls are disabled on the ipod when it's plugged into the system), so there's no reason to touch it while driving. It's not that far of a stretch to the glove box either since the car isn't that large (or maybe I just have long arms? )

And I was in the same boat actually -- I didn't care much for the navi, but I wanted everything else that came with the navi... oh well.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
when i'm parked somewhere sketchy, i place a little stuffed toy on the disc so nobody sees it.
smart!!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member

get a bb BOLD like me and it can do your Ipod/Iphone and call from the world on one unit + GPS.

you're cheap on phones yet think the factory rip-off nav system running you $21K is fine... something's wrong with your wallet computer, buddy. jk im just teasin'.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
get a bb BOLD like me and it can do your Ipod/Iphone and call from the world on one unit + GPS.

you're cheap on phones yet think the factory rip-off nav system running you $21K is fine... something's wrong with your wallet computer, buddy. jk im just teasin'.
My phone wasn't that cheap (150-175, i think). It was the service plan I couldn't deal with. Right now, I have the cheapest verizon plan with the lowest possible number of minutes I can get... and I haven't even come close to using half of it... hell, between the fact most, if not my entire family is on verizon (meaning it's free to call all of them, anytime)... and that I don't typically call my friends much (hey, that's what IM is for!), I barely scratch my prime minutes. I let my sister use the phone for a day, she racked up more minutes than I had in two months.

I dunno, I think that made me sound anti-social just now. >.<'

My thing is... what is the value of it, for me? 2k for a navi unit, quite a bit high price. the fact it's integrated with steering buttons and voice control, makes it not feel so high... the additional fact it's needed (as a package, not directly) for VSA (which is included in the price) makes it still high, but something I can swallow. Some people think if VSA came standard, the price wouldn't change... but it would, it's just you wouldn't have had a reference point to compare. So, I look at the navi (itself) costing much less than 2k. It's really a question of... The steering controls? probably from 50-100. Voice button? Might be part of the steering controls, or at worse 25-50... VSA, if it were possible... I'm sure more than 500 (look at the remote engine start, that's 350 already).

I mean, if you want grossly under-value the navi (by saying everything else is more expensive than it is)... you could say it's worth 1k... that's about the price of a high end garmin... and that's not even integrated into the car.

Like I said, if I could get EVERYTHING that came with the navi unit, except for the navi unit (say for 1500 less)... I'd do it in a heartbeat. Then I'd buy an aftermarket in-dash unit, hopefully one with a flippable/hide-able face, so it's not so obvious when I leave the car.

I'd make this longer, but i have to go to work... evening work sucks, I'm so sleepy.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Being a current owner of a 2009 Fit Sport Auto, I can clearly say that I would never pay $20K OTD. I purchased our Fit used (just over 5K miles) and paid just under 15K. The more I look the car over, examine the construction, quality, etc the more I'm convinced that these vehicles are way over priced. I enjoy driving the Fit, but it seems somewhat of a toy, even compared to my 2007 Toyota Corolla, and has a cheap feel interior and harsh ride. The Toyota is significantly better quality and more confortable. Nonetheless, both cars are for my kids, but I do drive both quite often. I would not purchase new unless the price was significantly less. Good luck on your purchase and decision.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 10-10-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:22 PM
A comfortable ride vs a harsh ride has nothing really to do with quality construction. The Fit sport has a sport ride and takes advantage of the new ACE construction. The Toyota has taller tires and a softer suspension, hence the soft ride. I hate super soft rides, they can keep them for old Cadillac drivers.

Back OT, get the color you want. If you are only talking $400-500 it is so worth it. You will hate yourself for the life of the car if you have the wrong color.

Quick Reply: Giving up getting an '09 Fit...