2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

A/C condenser mesh--my attachment points

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
A/C condenser mesh--my attachment points

I just got finished doing the A/C condenser mesh project, using the .26” X .26” plastic mesh, and I thought I would share how I attached this product. My 09 Fit is the sport model, and looking carefully at the bottom grill I decided against using any of the vertical grill runners as attachment points. Those vertical grill sections are a strong as a weak toothpick, and in fact one of them was already separated from the main exterior grill housing. You don’t want the attachment points to fail, since that could cause damage to the A/C condenser, which is what we are trying to avoid.

After removing the top plastic cover (under the hood) along with the top Honda grill section, you can see clearly behind the bottom grill and remaining bumper. There I discovered the bottom attachment points. Using a Dremel tool, I drilled nine small holes into the bottom section of the grill. This bottom section is quite thick and sticks out about an inch or so into this compartment section. My Dremel drill bit was slightly small for the tie wraps, but making a slight left to right movement made for a perfect hole. Just small enough to help hold the tie wrap in place as I worked each one.

Starting in the middle and working toward each end, I treaded the tie wrap into the mesh, through the hole and back into the mesh. Leave each one slightly loose and ensure that the mesh is level as you are working those bottom tie wraps.

To support the top section of the mesh, I used the bumper support beam, just located above the bottom grill (or middle of the bumper). This C-shaped beam contained internal ribs, and each rib has at least one hole. I think I found at least eight attachment points for the top section.

Once I got all tie wraps in place, I carefully pulled each one tight and cut the excess part of the wrap off. Since this plastic mesh seems to bend and take shape, I pressed the excess bottom section forward, which made the bottom tie wraps produce a better form. I’ll try to post some photos.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Very nice and thanks for the pics, I did a similar mesh protection after reading about people having to replace their condensers from rocks/road debris.

One of my zip-ties already broke (Home Depot store brand) so I might have to switch to the overkill MIL Spec cable ties I have laying around.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Very nice. I haven't noticed a problem over two months attaching to the grill, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Dan

Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 PM
i used the same stuff on my wife's car. i doubt it would stop a good sized rock from going through it at a good speed, but hopefully slow it down enough and soften the blow before actually hitting the a/c condenser.